Monday, August 17, 2015

ARC Review: The White Rose by Amy Ewing










 
 



The White Rose #2




The White Rose (The Lone City, #2)
THE WHITE ROSE
Amy Ewing
(The Lone City #2)
Published: October 6th, 2015

Genres: YA, Dystopian, Fantasy


Violet is on the run. After the Duchess of the Lake catches Violet with Ash, the hired companion at the Palace of the Lake, Violet has no choice but to escape the Jewel or face certain death. So along with Ash and her best friend, Raven, Violet runs away from her unbearable life of servitude.

But no one said leaving the Jewel would be easy. As they make their way through the circles of the Lone City, Regimentals track their every move, and the trio barely manages to make it out unscathed and into the safe haven they were promised—a mysterious house in the Farm.

But there’s a rebellion brewing, and Violet has found herself in the middle of it. Alongside a new ally, Violet discovers her Auguries are much more powerful than she ever imagined. But is she strong enough to rise up against the Jewel and everything she has ever known?

The White Rose is a raw, captivating sequel to The Jewel that fans won’t be able to put down until the final shocking moments.

{AMAZON} {BARNES & NOBLE}





DON'T MISS OUT ON THE COMPLETE SERIES HERE:

The Jewel (The Lone City, #1) The House of the Stone (The Lone City, #1.5) The White Rose (The Lone City, #2)

CHECK OUT MY REVIEW OF BOOK ONE, THE JEWEL HERE!!



THE WHITE ROSE was the highly anticipated sequel of THE JEWEL that I've been eagerly awaiting for months. And although it wasn't as good as I hoped it would be, it still had it's perks and has me eagerly anticipating the explosive conclusion I knows to come!

It was a lot slower paced then I would of liked. I mostly read fast-paced books with non-stop action and adventure, and though it did have it's moments with some action and adventure, it was no where near up to par with my standards. About the first half of the book had me contemplating putting it down. Like I said above, it did have mild action, but not the amount I hoped. And the first half was just Violet and her crew trying to make it out of The Jewel and to the farm where their sanctuary lied in The White Rose. And I got bored just having the story plotted around their travel. But once they finally did get to The White Rose it really picked up for me, and I started to enjoy it a lot more. Not that it's pace or action picked up, but the story unfolded and picked up it's plot, and I really got intrigued. And then that was when the magic began, and I was positively hooked. Violet's magic reveals itself and strengths tenfold from her capabilities in book one. And I really enjoyed the direction the plot took and is setting up for the finale in book three!!!

Another issue I had was the romance aspect. It felt strained and forced, and not the same sweet romance I enjoyed from book one. But surprisingly the lacking romance didn't really bother me that much. Ash was an okay love interest, I didn't really have anything against him, or any cause to love him either. But I still wanted more from the romance aspect. I would of liked more spark and chemistry, and though I appreciated that this book wasn't centered around romance like the first book was, but I still wanted more fire from their relationship and interactions. But I concede in a way it was understandable, because Ash and Violet were both going through their own struggles, and dealing with their own demons. So I guess it was okay for them to be a little distant in this middle book, but I expect more from their relationship in the next book!

What I really loved about this book was the fierce magic that was unleashed by the surrogates. It was breathtaking and beautiful to visualize the magical elements that was tapped into by the girls at The White Rose. And how they could make so many flowers grow, and then instantly die in a heart beat. How they could crack concrete, and then mend it back together with a flick of their wrist. It was exhilarating and riveting to watch all that power channeled with a force of magic that will hopefully become the savior of their world! And I can't WAIT to see all the surrogates come together and unleash all their power as one, and bring the end of the evil tyranny of The Jewel once and for all...

I also thought the writing Ewing created was alluring and descriptive, and was easily able to get lost in. The world-building was also a positive in this book. Since the first book I thought the setup of this world was different and intriguing. The circles of the standing classes, starting from the center where The Jewel lies, and the nobility rule, and working it's ways out from the ranks until you get the marsh, the lowest class in their system. And it was fascinating and intriguing, yet sickening and gruesome, how the nobility would use each lower class citizen, no matter their trade, gender or intelligence, and find some wicked way to use that person to their advantage, to help further their agendas regardless of what it was at the time.

THE PLOT

After being sold at the surrogate auction, and forced to give her body to the Duchess of the Lake, Violet thought their was no hope left. But when she meets Ash, a companion to the Duchess's niece, he changes everything and gives her a reason to keep fighting. But then when they're exposed, Ash is beaten and taken away to be murdered, Violet knows time is running out. And if she has any chance of saving Ash and making her planned escape on time, then she will have to form an unlikely alliance, before all is lost and she is forced to give birth to the Duchess's baby.

But making it out of the Duchess's clutches is only the first part of their journey. And Violet and her crew will have to travel through each circle, facing pursuit and unthinkable obstacles, if their going to make it to The White Rose where their magic can be awoken, and their fight to take back the lives that have been stolen from them will begin...

Sadly THE WHITE ROSE wasn't everything I hoped it would be, but still had it's parts that I really enjoyed. It lacked action and adventure throughout most of the book, and the romance was definitely on the back burner with no spark to ignite it. But regardless it was still there, and I have very high hopes that the next book will bring all that and some. But nevertheless, it still had an interesting plot with determined characters, and a magical background that later emerged and took this book to a whole new level, and has me desperately craving the next book in the series to see how it all plays out.

Overall, THE WHITE ROSE had aspects I loved and also hated, but was still a fun read that paints the path for book three, including all the twist and turns that I'm sure is to follow this epic cliffhanger ending. I think book three will definitely be the best in the complete trilogy, and I'm more then eager to find out! So if you enjoy a slower paced dystopian, with a back-burner romance, and a fantasy twist with magic, and determined characters, then THE WHITE ROSE may just be the sequel you were hoping for!!!

NOTE: I received a physical ARC from Harper Teen for reviewing purposes! All opinions expressed are my own and are not influenced in any way!

3.5 BONE HEARTS



Amy Ewing
Amy Ewing is the young adult author of The Jewel, the first in a trilogy from HarperTeen, coming out September 2014.

She grew up in a small town outside Boston, where her librarian mother instilled a deep love of reading at a young age. Amy moved to New York City in 2000 to study theater at New York University. Unfortunately, her acting career didn’t quite pan out. She worked in restaurants, as an administrative assistant, a nanny, and a sales representative for a wine distributor before the lack of creativity in her life drove her to begin writing.

Amy received her MFA in Creative Writing for Children from The New School, where she was lucky enough to meet a fabulous community of YA writers who keep her sane on a daily basis. She lives in Harlem, where she spends her days writing, eating cheese, and occasionally binge watching The Vampire Diaries.



1 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for this book! I loved the first! After reading some of your reviews i think we have quite similar tastes, so i'm excited to hear you enjoyed it even if it wasn't as good as the first. I find a lot of middle books in trilogies are a bit slower, but hopefully the third will be as good as the first again.

    ReplyDelete

I love meeting new people through comments, and I always try to comment back! Thanks for stopping by! :)