Friday, August 7, 2015

ARC Review: Queen Of Someday by Sherry D. Ficklin



















Queen Of Someday





Queen of Someday (Stolen Empire, #1)QUEEN OF SOMEDAY
Sherry D. Ficklin
(Stolen Empire #1)
Published: October 7th, 2014
Genres: YA, Historical, Fantasy


ONE GIRL WILL BRING AN EMPIRE TO ITS KNEES...

Before she can become the greatest empress in history, fifteen-year-old Sophie will have to survive her social-climbing mother’s quest to put her on the throne of Russia—at any cost.

Imperial Court holds dangers like nothing Sophie has ever faced before. In the heart of St. Petersburg, surviving means navigating the political, romantic, and religious demands of the bitter Empress Elizabeth and her handsome, but sadistic nephew, Peter. Determined to save her impoverished family—and herself—Sophie vows to do whatever is necessary to thrive in her new surroundings. But an attempt on her life and an unexpected attraction threatens to derail her plans.

Alone in a new and dangerous world, learning who to trust and who to charm may mean the difference between becoming queen and being sent home in shame to marry her lecherous uncle. With traitors and murderers lurking around every corner, her very life hangs in the balance. Betrothed to one man but falling in love with another, Sophie will need to decide how much she’s willing to sacrifice in order to become the empress she is destined to be.

In a battle for the soul of a nation, will love or destiny reign supreme?
{AMAZON} {BARNES & NOBLE} {AUDIBLE}



DON'T MISS THE REST OF THE SERIES HERE:

Queen of Someday (Stolen Empire, #1) Queen of Tomorrow (Stolen Empire, #2) Queen of Always (Stolen Empire, #3) 





QUEEN OF SOMEDAY was a fun historical blend of deceptions, betrayals, political intrigue, shocking love interest, and scandalous romances, that will leave you itching for more!

I was intrigued by the plot since reading the synopsis a while back. I never heard of Catherine the great, in which this books suppose to stem from, but if it's anything like this book, then I'm eager to read it. The world-building is one of my new favorites. I've been on an historical kick for a little while now, so I decided it was time to finally give it a shot, and I'm glad I did!

One thing that did drive me crazy was that their was three love interest, YES, you heard me right, THREE!! And that was way too many for my taste. I'm not one to be totally against love triangles, IF they're done right. My example of an epic love triangle is The Remnant Chronicles by Mary E. Pearson. But even if this one was done right, which I don't think it was, it wasn't even a love triangle, it was more of a love square, and that is too much for even me too handle. We had a spoiled, sadist, vengeful Prince that I couldn't stand if my life depended on it, even from the beginning when he kinda seemed sweet and sincere, I still didn't like him. Then we had Alex, the Prince's right-hand man, that had no title but came from a wealthy family. He was okay, well better then okay. He was hot, sweet, romantic, and really seemed sincere about his feelings for Sophie. But my feelings for him went downhill towards the end when something big happened, and I guess you could say his loyalties were tested, and in MY eyes, he failed!! Then we have my favorite from the very beginning, Sergei!!! He was the Empresses General, and was everything a girl could ask for: Loyal until the very end, willing to go to any lengths, I mean ANY lengths for you. Extremely hot, sweet, smart, caring, strong, determined, and had a way about him that made you instantly love him, and... want to tear his clothes off...lol! ;) Their was an instant attraction between him and Sophie from the very beginning, and was the one I was routing for and thought with all my might that he would be the one she choose. Of course I won't tell you if she did or didn't! ;)

THE PLOT

Princess Sophie's family is on the road to utter shame unless she can somehow reel herself into the Imperial Court, and win the blessing of the Empress to wed her nephew, the sadistic Prince Peter. Otherwise, to make up for her failures of not satisfying her selfish, greedy, overbearing mother, she will be sent home disgraced and forced to marry her disgusting uncle. And that is something Sophie is determined not to do, even if she has to wed herself with the vile Prince Peter.

When her reunion with Prince Peter promises hope for Sophie's future, she begins to relax and feel she may just have a winning chance in all this. But then when glimpse of the true nature of her Prince start to reveal, she finds solace in anothers arms, arms that feel right and true, and are forbidden. But as the romance starts to heat up between her and her secret lover, Sophie begins to realize just how deep she's gotten herself in. And what if she follows her heart instead of her mind, what then? Will the Empress allow her to choose the man she's beginning to love over the ruling Empire, or will she be branded and sent away in disgrace? But most important, will she allow her and her beloved to walk out of this alive, or will she make her pay for breaking unspoken promises??

With very slim allies at court, Sophie befriends the Empresses most trusted General, the handsomely sweet, but fiercely strong and loyal Sergei, and learns to trust his council and relay heavily on him when situations arises. But with a warm and fuzzy feeling coiling in the pit of her stomach, she's unsure of what her ultimate feelings for him are. But he's not the only person that catches Sophie's eye. Theirs another that has sank his claws into her and makes her want to defy everything she's ever known. And it's not the Prince that makes her want to battle the world to find her way into his arms...

But what Sophie is most unprepared for is the fierce battle of political intrigue and numerous murder attempts on her life. Forced to either fold and give up or stay and play the game that might ultimately secure her future, or possibly end it, Sophie realizes that she's in way over her head. With no choice unless she wants to marry her uncle, Sophie decides to stay and quickly learns the social climbing ropes of staying alive at court. But the games the sadistic Prince, and her enemies play are becoming more and more deadly each time. And if Sophie has any hope of surviving, she will have to learn to play the game better, and be one step ahead of her enemies, or die trying...

One way or another, Sophie will win the crown, and bring an Empire to it's knees...

I really am beginning to love all the fun tactics and evil plots behind political intrigue novels. Their fascinating and thrilling to try and determine all the outcomes before they plays out. But unfortunately, QUEEN OF SOMEDAY was more about the romance political then politics, and that was kinda a big let down. I wanted more court intrigue, and less romance intrigue. If that's even a correct phrase? But anyways, the whole book was wrapped around an alliance through a marriage. And when I say the whole book, I mean the ENTIRE thing!! And that just got to be a little annoying after a while. I wanted more schemes and plots stemming from different issues besides who's going to marry who. If the author would of threw in at least one other plot twist, and intertwined it with the marriage conspiracy, then just maybe that would of spiced it up a bit more. But I'm hoping for a lot more from book two, since that particular issues is at least resolved, for now anyway.


Overall, QUEEN OF SOMEDAY was a pretty fun book even with my issues with the multiple love interest and the lack of more then one dragging plot. I still found it entertaining with intriguing aspect that were enough to keep me reading until the very end. I loved Sergei, one of the many love interest, and enjoyed his parts of the book. And Sophie's mother was a trip, and though most of the time she was really cold towards Sophie, I still found some of her absurd way of thinking comical, and enjoyed seeing her embarrass herself all the time. So with all the plus and minuses, my overall enjoyment of this book landed somewhere in the middle at about 3.5 stars. I'm REALLY excited to see where this series goes next and if Sophie will achieve the many greatness that I know she's capable of...

NOTE: I received an eARC from Clean Teen Publishing for reviewing purposes. All opinions express are my own and are not influenced in any way!

3.5 BONE HEARTS







Sherry D. Ficklin**To get the latest info on new releases and to enter our monthly giveaways join the Minion Army over at http://sherryficklin.com/be-a-minion/ **

Sherry D. Ficklin is a full time writer from Colorado where she lives with her husband, four kids, two dogs, and a fluctuating number of chickens and house guests. A former military brat, she loves to travel and meet new people. She can often be found browsing her local bookstore with a large white hot chocolate in one hand and a towering stack of books in the other. That is, unless she’s on deadline at which time she, like the Loch Ness monster, is only seen in blurry photographs
.

5 comments:

  1. You may think that Im so horsefaced I might try to chew a watermelon through a wire fence.
    Stumbled into this content by chance Addium but I'm sure glad I clicked on that link. You definitely answered all the questions I have been dying to answer for some time now. Will without doubt come back for more of this. Thank you so much http://guidemesupplements.com/addium/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the honest helpful review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you, I prefer court intrigue to romantic intrigue, as it were. I am going to read some more promising historical fiction instead and push this title down a few notches on my to-do list. I was going to read it next week, but I crave some high-stakes political power play in a plot right now. I think I'm still going to read this; it's just not exactly going to itch the scratch I thought it would, if that makes sense...thanks for this very helpful review! Cheers, Kara S

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like books like this, with political intrigue and scandals and such, but only at certain times. This does sound good, but I will have to wait for one of those right moods to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book sounds really cool! I'm not usually one for historical books but your review got me excited to read it! Plus the cover is gorgeous! The only thing is Idk how I feel about the romance but I'll probably have to read to find out!

    ReplyDelete

I love meeting new people through comments, and I always try to comment back! Thanks for stopping by! :)