Friday, August 14, 2015

ARC Review: Lion Heart by A.C. Gaughen





















Lion Heart #3




Lion Heart (Scarlet, #3) LION HEART
(Scarlet #2)
A.C. Gaughen
Published: May 19th, 2015
Genres: YA, Historical, Retellings




The eagerly-awaited conclusion to the Scarlet trilogy delivers another action-packed and romance-filled adventure.

Scarlet has captured the hearts of readers as well as the heart of Robin Hood, and after ceaseless obstacles and countless threats, readers will finally find out the fate of the Lady Thief.

Imprisoned by Prince John for months, Scarlet finds herself a long way from Nottinghamshire. After a daring escape from the Prince's clutches, she learns that King Richard’s life is in jeopardy, and Eleanor of Aquitaine demands a service Scarlet can’t refuse: spy for her and help bring Richard home safe. But fate—and her heart—won’t allow her to stay away from Nottinghamshire for long, and together, Scarlet and Rob must stop Prince John from going through with his dark plans for England. They can not rest until he’s stopped, but will their love be enough to save them once and for all?

{AMAZON} {BARNES & NOBLE} {AUDIBLE}




DON'T MISS THE REST OF THE SERIES HERE:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11983940-scarlet https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16181630-lady-thief

 
 


The Scarlet series has been one of those series that I enjoyed a lot, but didn't overly love. I don't really know why I didn't love this series, or what went wrong with it, because it's not something I can put my finger on and express why I didn't love it. Because in my eyes A.C. Gaughen did everything right. Its not a story I fell hopelessly in love with, but that doesn't mean I didn't like this book—series. Because I really did enjoyed it, and even rated every book in this trilogy 4 stars. So as you can see it was very enjoyable, just not mind-blowingly epic.

LION HEART was the thrilling conclusion to the Scarlet trilogy, and though it did tie up a lot of loose ends, it still left too much to the imagination. Their was no epilogue with what happened after the big ending. Granted you can kinda put the pieces together yourself, but I wanted a solid finish with what was to come for these characters. After all the struggles we endured with these characters, I think it's only fair we get a complete ending. SPOILER ALERT: (HIGHLIGHT TO READ) I wanted to know what happened with King Richard? If Prince John finally got what was coming to him? And if Scarlet and Rob lived happily ever after? And sadly we don't get answers to any of them questions, and that was a huge let down. When I finish a series I want a solid ending, nothing to question or wonder what happened after the plot finished. And with LION HEART there was just way too many questions left unanswered!

Besides that LION HEART was very enjoyable. I found myself racing through the book needing to know what was going to happen next. And at every spare chance I had I wanted to read it. The plot kept me engaged and needing to know more. The world-building follows the same as the previous books, though Scarlet is now a high ranking noble with limited power. And the writing as always is flawless and totally unique. The romance was sweet and swoony. And though the ending was not what I hoped for, it still satisfied on some levels.

THE PLOT

Lady Marian, AKA Scarlet has been imprisoned by Prince John for months, suffering his cruel torture to sedate his sadistic cravings for power. She has suffered a fate more horrific then death. But Scarlet is stronger then he ever anticipated, and she will not let her uncle, the malicious Prince John win, and steal the crown of England from her father, King Richard.

After hearing from Prince John that her father has been captured by the Holy Roman Emperor, and is being held ransom for an outrageous sum, and that Prince John's determined to do anything within his power to make sure he never returns to wear the crown, Scarlet knows it's time to act.

With the help of her grandmothers loyal knight David, Scarlet's finally able to escape the clutches of Prince John, and travels with David and her longtime friend Alan to meet up with the queen of England, her grandmother Eleanor of Aquitaine, to assess her next move. Eleanor doesn't think her son Prince John is capable of such malice, but Scarlet knows better, and knows that he will go to any cost to prevent her father from coming home and claiming the crown that is rightfully his. And that he will stop at nothing to become the new king of England. And if that ever happens, all of England would be doomed beyond repair, and that is something Scarlet cannot let happen.

Vowing to stop the Prince in any way possible, Scarlet decides it's time to use her rank and title for a better purpose. Now known as the Princess of England, and also the new lady of Huntingdon, she rally's the nobles to her side by showing them just how vicious and vile Prince John really is. And with Rob, her new Earl of Huntingdon by her side, and her gang from Nottinghamshire not too far, she will put all her power and strength towards bringing her father home and stopping Prince John at any cost, even if it's at the cost to herself...

With a fun retelling of Robin Hood, Scarlet definitely brings a whole new light to our medieval hero, and makes us want to fall desperately in love with this tale all over again. And though I wasn't able to fully fall in love with this book, I still enjoyed it a lot more then I ever imagined. And will definitely be on the look out for more of A.C. Gaughen's books in the future!

Overall, LION HEART was a good conclusion with minor flaws. I hoped for a more thorough ending, but sadly didn't get it. Either way this book was still well worth the read, and equally brought it's own weight to this series. I enjoy this book a lot, and will be reading more from Gaughen in the future. I appreciated this new twist to the Robin Hood retelling, and loved the unique writing and fierce characters. If you enjoy a good retelling, with action and adventure, and a sweet romance that keeps you in anticipation, then you should definitely give this series a shot!

NOTE: I received a physical ARC from Bloomsbury for reviewing purposes! All opinions expressed are my own and are not influenced in any way!


4 BONE HEARTS


I am shamelessly addicted to staying up far too late (it feels like stealing time), diet coke (it burns so good), Scotland (stupid country stole my heart and won't give it back. Interpol has been ineffective for prosecution) and thieves (so I guess I'm not that mad at Scotland).

Want to know more? Just ask!
 

4 comments:

  1. This sounds good! A Robin Hood re-telling sounds especially good. Thanks, as always for the thoughtful review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have loved this series, but I still haven't read this one. And now, I am not sure that I want to! I peeked at the spoilers, and that hurts me to hear... I just don't know what to do. I can't stand the thought of THIS series being ruined by the final book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't started this series, and I'm not sure if I'll pass on it now or not. Thanks for hiding the spoilers though, I appreciate that..and no, I didn't peek ;) But seeing that there is no solid ending kind of puts me off. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have passed on this one a few times, and after rading your review im thinking that if im running low on something to read (which is rare, atm my tbr list is huge) i'll read it but dont think it is worth putting it to the top of my list! Thanks for the help.

    ReplyDelete

I love meeting new people through comments, and I always try to comment back! Thanks for stopping by! :)