Monday, July 6, 2015

The Decaying Empire by Laura Thalassa Review

















The Decaying

  Empire #2




THE DECAYING EMPIRE
 Laura Thalassa
(The Vanishing Girl #2)
Published: April 21st, 2015
Genres: NA, Fantasy, Paranormal



When eighteen-year-old teleporter Ember Pierce wakes up in a Los Angeles hospital, she remembers only the basics: she’s been trained by the government as a spy, she’s sent on dangerous missions, and her last assignment—the one that landed her in the hospital—was a setup.

Caden Hawthorne has spent the past ten months of his life grieving Ember’s death. So when she shows up in his room like an apparition, he can’t believe his eyes. But this Ember is different. Her hair is longer, her skin is paler, her gaze is haunted. She tells him what he’s already begun to suspect: someone he trusted betrayed her.

Now, uncertain who is friend and who is foe, Ember and Caden face the toughest mission of their lives—to stay together and survive, as they run from danger toward an unknown future.

{AMAZON} {BARNES & NOBLE} {AUDIBLE}


DON'T MISS OUT ON HOW IT ALL STARTED HERE:






CHECK OUT MY REVIEW OF BOOK ONE, THE VANISHING GIRL HERE!!


Another epic success from Laura Thalassa!! She is an amazing writer with a creative imagination and a talent for sculpting the most wonderful worlds that I just adore! She has captured my heart with her thrilling, action-packed books, with layered character development, and a world-building that instantly allures and satisfies in so many levels.

Just like in book one, the characters were fierce, awesome determined, and so much fun. I did have a few minor issues with this sequel that actually surprised me. But nothing too serious to defer my love or overall enjoyment for this book or series as a whole.

I loved, LOVED, LOVEDDDDD, the characters and all their strengths and weaknesses. Ember and Caden made the perfect couple for so many different reasons. As partners, teammates, allies, friends, lovers, and ultimately as soul mates. They challenged each other while also finding their equal within each other. They were able to make everything they did together fun and charismatic. I was never bored while reading this book or felt like it was going down hill. They could make any boring situation fun and complex. They just had this electrifying chemistry that made it so endearing and utterly fantastic to watch unfold.

I hate to admit it, but one of the issues I did have with this book was that their wasn't no where near enough sex as their was in the first book. Call me what you will, but after reading the first book and getting a taste of all that sexual fun Ember and Caden had, I kinda expected that same affection and interaction as book one. I don't know if Amazon told Laura Thalassa to pipe it down, or just that the author wanted the sex to take a back seat to the plot, but whatever the reasoning, I wanted more!! I loved Ember and Caden's chemistry and affection they had with each other, on an emotional and sexual level. I thought they had a chemistry that not too many authors can pull and make desirable and satisfying. And I was excited to think that I would find that same sexual and emotional relationship in this sequel. But nevertheless, their was still some sexual scenes and intimate relations that was fun and enthralling to read. But no where near as much or as good as it was in book one!

Another thing that bothered me was the lack of explanation of the teleportation aspect. Just like in book one, we didn't get a fleshed out version of how the teleportation works, and who was ultimately controlling some of Ember's side missions that she was directed too. But after that cliffhanger ending I think I know exactly who, but it still doesn't tell us that or why. And we're seriously left hanging with that cliffhanger. I was left still questioning how items materialized during teleportation, and how and why the teleporters wake up naked, or are able to change clothes before they arrive at their teleportation destination. And also how teleporters could be directed to certain places. I know the author gave a brief explanation, but nothing in depth to help me understand the actual process. It's just that after the second book I expected more answers then what we got.

Another small issue was that the complete book was centered around their escape. I would of liked more missions, an aspect that I loved in book one. But also as I mentioned earlier, more sex or sexual encounters. The authors writing a New Adult novel and could of definitely pushed the limits. Also more time plotting their taken down of the Project and less time spent on their escape. Though I do think book three will be fully centered around the Project's take down, but it still would of been nice to see some of that in this book too. It's like this book was so good to a fault, but also lacked a lot of something too. I was thinking about giving it a 3 star rating, but my love for the main characters and their relationship was too great that I just couldn't give it a low rating! I was disappointed but satisfied at the same time, if that at all makes any since whatsoever???

THE PLOT

Being betrayed by the same people that Ember Pierce has been forced to work for, she wakes up after 10 months from an induced coma to the horrifying reality that something is not right. She doesn't know what or how it all happened, but someone set her up and almost cost her her life, and she thinks she knows just who got her spliced. Now with fury and rage fueling her heart, she's on a rampage with an unsatisfied vendetta against the ones who have given her her life, but have also taken it away.

After her kidnapping that brought her to the government facility that made her, Ember was forced to endure things an eighteen-year-old shouldn't. But to the Project they aren't kids, hell, their not really even people to them. Just weapons for them to use to complete their ultimate goals. They're trained to become spies, thieves, seducers, infiltrators, and ultimately killer to achieve the corrupted governments wicked agenda. And their is nothing Ember Pierce can do about it, or is there...?

Ember was one of the few teleporters that was genetically modified to be different then other teleporters. She was created with a defiance gene that has her questioning authority and quick to become suspicious of people and their ulterior motives. And that's why Ember is able to see things more clearly then other teleporters who are content just going along with the Projects orders with no guilt or reservations. They are made to be the perfect soldiers, but Ember is not one of them. That's why she cannot sit by and let the Project slowly kill them off one by one, and use her and the other teleporters the way they do. So after her failed attempt to expose the Project for what they really are landed her spliced and in an induced coma for 10 months, she now knows she must be one step ahead of the Project if she wants to succeed. But with her boyfriend and love of her life Caden on her side, fighting every battle with her, and Adrian, a supposed ally working from the outside to further aid in their escape and exposure to the Project, how can she possibly fail??? Well she's about to find out just how quick things can go wrong.

THE DECAYING EMPIRE was a great sequel with it's perks and it's flaws, but still highly satisfying. I had issues with the lack of explanation on the teleportation aspect, and also the plot only really centering around escape and not evened out like it's predecessor was in book one. But with only a few minor hiccups along the way, and noting too serious, I was able to fall madly in love with this series all over again.

Overall, If you like fast-paced, action-packed, science-fiction novels, with fierce character development, and enough sexual interaction to fuel your imagination, in a dystopian-like setting, with conspires, spies, murder, and kick ass fighting to keep you entertained until the very end, then THE DECAYING EMPIRE is one sequel you won't wanna miss!!

4 BONE HEARTS









4 comments:

  1. These covers are some of the most eye catching I have seen. They are beautiful! And they sound really, really good! Looking forward to checking this series out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed your review! I'm looking forward to reading this series, but I'll probably wait until the final book is out. I hate cliffhangers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to read the sequel!! I was ablr to have the audiobook version of the first book and I wasn't disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read your review for the first book yesterday and added that one to my list...and onto the list this one goes, too. :) These sound really good!

    ReplyDelete

I love meeting new people through comments, and I always try to comment back! Thanks for stopping by! :)