Monday, June 22, 2015

The Cage by Megan Shepherd ARC Review





















The Cage




Review: The Cage by Megan Shepherd



THE CAGE was surprisingly an okay read! Not great, but not terrible either. I never read anything by Megan Shepherd so I really didn't know what to expect from her books. But I always thought her synopsis's sounded fantastic and like something I would enjoy. But for whatever reason I never gotten round to reading anything by Shepherd, until THE CAGE. And when I first heard about a human zoo run by Aliens, I was instantly intrigued and knew I had to read it. So of course I HAD to check it out.

The first quarter or so of THE CAGE was not really that intriguing. But after that I found myself getting more and more into this world and the horrifying, yet fascinating truths behind it all. But then they last 50 pages or so was not what I was expecting, (I say that not in a good way!) And the ending was just a turn off with many unbelievable twist that were not as entertaining and thrilling as I hoped.

As many good things I found about this book, I found an equal amount of bad things too. One being it had way too many POV's for my likening. It had three or four, possibly even more. I'm not entirely sure unless I go back and skim through the book! It just drove me crazy and was so annoying to keep switching back and forth every couple chapters to a new POV, especially ones I didn't really like. It wouldn't of been so bad if the POV's were separated and not all together in the same situation, and was more important to the main plot, instead of just numerous POV's from immature kids whinny about non important things.

Another issue I had was the believability of the world-building and the progressiveness of the plot. It lacked depth and an overall explanation of their environment and how and why things were the way they were. And after reading the complete book, the kindred are a mystery to me. I still don't really understand the different Alien races and why they all live the way the do, and what their actual goal is. All of those things combined made the book less enjoyable and affected my overall rating of
THE CAGE.

THE PLOT

Cora Mason wakes up on a desert alone, confused, and terrified that something terrible has happened to her. But as Cora
starts to get her bearings and explores this new world she finds herself in, she discovers things that aren't quite right. Their are numerous environments packed into an enclosed space, too close to each other to be anything but artificial. And as she gets to the end of the environments, she finds they always lead her back to the same point of originate—a deserted town with an uncanny feel, mixed with a slew of different cultures, combined with a sickening feeling that she's being watched. And these eerie black windows that seem to be everywhere she goes, following her like eyes of a monster. But then Cora realizes she's not alone in this desolate town, and that no one seems to know anything about where they are or how they got there, but most horrifying, how they've all gotten into new clothing...

But just when everyone starts to think they've been abandoned there to die, a mysterious man appears out of no where and finally offers them some answers, even if their not the answers they want.


THEY HAVE THREE RULES THAT MUST BE FOLLOWED:

1. Solve the enrichment puzzles to strengthen your mental and physical conditioning.


2. Maintain your heath by eating, sleeping, and cooperating in regular health assessments.

The last and most important rule...


3. To ensure the survival of the human race, you must engage in procreative activities within 30 days and reproduce your species, or face REMOVAL!!!

They've been taken by a super advanced race of aliens called the Kindred. The Kindred claim they were taken to preserve and ensure that the human species survives when Earth scums to it's own demise. But their newfound group isn't buying it, and thinks something even more sinister is going on behind those black windows, and that their just pawns in some sick experiment, stuck in a confined cage that has become their prison.

The group will have to stick together and work to find the Cage's buried secrets and the truth behind the Kindred's real reasons for kidnapping them. And discover what they really want from them, and just how sinister their plans for them are. But as the days carry on, and the hope of escape starts to dwindle, so does the sanity of their group, and they start to slowly turn against each other—some bonding together, others going off on their own, some out for blood, some out for love, some out for escape, and some out for the comforts of illusions. And the group finds that they may have to fear each other just as much as they should fear the Kindred.

But one things for certain, Cora Mason is not giving up, no matter how much she starts to fear the worse, or how many of the others start to turn against her. Even as the others start to slip slowly into insanity, she's determined to hold deep to hers and escape the Cage prison and make it back to her home planet of Earth and finally get some real answers. But only "IF" she makes it off the Kindred's planet, alive...


THE CAGE had an interesting concept but wasn't thought out or executed as well as it could of been. Their could of been a million and one ways it could of went down that probably would of been better then the way this plot ended. With that said, their were plenty of aspects that I did enjoy, hints the 3.5 rating and not a 1 or 2 rating. I just wasn't overall satisfied with the ending of this book and thought it could of been way better. But either way I'm still curious about what will come next in the second book.

Overall, THE CAGE was an interesting world with a great mix of Sci-f aspects, and some twist and turns along the way to keep the reader intrigued. But also lacked a thickened plot and interesting cast of characters, and had WAY to many POV's to really connect with any of the characters. I liked THE CAGE, but didn't love it by far. When the second book releases I'll probably read it just to see if Cora makes good on any of her threats she promises at the end of this book. If you enjoy Sci-f, mixed with a bit of mystery and supernatural twist, with a weird cast of crazy characters, then you many find THE CAGE right up your ally. I mean some people loved it, some hated it, and others fell in the middle like me. Either way, if THE CAGE sounds intriguing then you should definitely give it a fair shot and see if it's for you!!

NOTE: I received a physical ARC from Balzer + Bray (HarperCollins/Teen) for reviewing purposes! All opinions expressed are my own and are not influenced in any way!
 
3.5 BONE HEARTS


Megan Shepherd, Author
Megan Shepherd was "born" into the book world, growing up in her parents' independent bookstore in Western North Carolina. She is the author of THE MADMAN'S DAUGHTER trilogy (Balzer+Bray/2013), and THE CAGE trilogy (Balzer+Bray/2015). When Megan is not writing, she can usually be found horseback riding, day dreaming at coffee shops, or hiking in the beautiful Blue Ridge mountains. She is represented by Josh Adams at Adams Literary.

{WEBSITE} {GOODREADS} {TWITTER} {FACEBOOK}



  

5 comments:

  1. OOh nice! I have been hearing mixed things about this one! Like you said, they love it, they hate it, or there are a few reviews that fall in between. I am deeply intrigued by this one so I finally ordered a copy! I also really want to read her first series because another blogger said that while she didn't like this one, she loved the first trilogy Megan wrote! So I plan to read that one too! LOL! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. I love Megan Shepherd and I didn't know she had a new book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finally got the Cage recently, and I'm pretty excited to read it! I did read Megan's previous trilogy (although I haven't gotten around to the last one yet), and fairly enjoyed it. I didn't know that the Cage had multiple POVs though. I'm not a huge fan of that either, but hopefully it works out for me. The plot does sound interesting though!
    Ariel @ Bookish Confessions

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have also been considering reading this author's Madman Daughter's trilogy, so I was interested in your review of this new series. I agree that too many POVs can be quite confusing! Thanks for the detailed review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book sounds so good! Thank you so much for this great review.

    ReplyDelete

I love meeting new people through comments, and I always try to comment back! Thanks for stopping by! :)