Friday, February 6, 2015

The Murder Complex by Lindsay Cummings ARC Review








The Murder Complex





THE MURDER COMPLEX
Lindsay Cummings
(The Murder Complex #1)
Published: June 3rd, 2014
Genres: YA, Dystopian, Sci-f





An action-packed, blood-soaked, futuristic debut thriller set in a world where the murder rate is higher than the birthrate. For fans of Moira Young’s Dust Lands series, La Femme Nikita, and the movie Hanna.

Meadow Woodson, a fifteen-year-old girl who has been trained by her father to fight, to kill, and to survive in any situation, lives with her family on a houseboat in Florida. The state is controlled by The Murder Complex, an organization that tracks the population with precision.

The plot starts to thicken when Meadow meets Zephyr James, who is—although he doesn’t know it—one of the MC’s programmed assassins. Is their meeting a coincidence? Destiny? Or part of a terrifying strategy? And will Zephyr keep Meadow from discovering the haunting truth about her family?

Action-packed, blood-soaked, and chilling, this is a dark and compelling debut novel by Lindsay Cummings.






THE MURDER COMPLEX was bloodtastic read that I devoured. I was allured by the dark essence and the fast paced plot that kept me engaged and entertained until the very last page! It was a bloody world, full of twist and turns that satisfied.

But to keep it real, THE MURDER COMPLEX was a good book, but it had it's faults. There where many aspects that I enjoyed, but many that I didn't. One that I really enjoyed was the world-building—the backbone to THE MURDER COMPLEX. I liked that it added it's own touch of originality to the dystopian world, and that it delivered on that aspect of the book.

Another thing that I really loved was that it was bloody! I don't really know what that says about me...lol, ;) but I loved all the blood and murder, and the chase. It was thrilling to live through it all through the characters eyes, and see and feel what they felt. It was definitely a terrifying world that I would never want to live through!! I do give the author mad props for creating such a complex world that was dark and deadly, and awesomely thrilling!!

But there were a few things that drove me insane. Manly it was just one of the characters that I didn't like for numerous reasons. Zephyr was one of the main POV's and the love interest that drove me insane. First, his name annoyed the hell out of me!! I mean what kind of name is Zephyr??? That was the first strike against him. Then he said this repetitive word, Skitz's." What hell does Skitz's mean anyway?? I looked it up, and it's the meaning for Schizophrenia. WHAT??? What idiot would go around saying that all the time?? Then, when he meets Meadow, the other main POV, he starts acting like a little love sick puppy that would bend the earth for her. I mean he JUST met her and he was acting like that. Actually, I think he said that he might love her before he was even formally introduced to her. He was just a total turn off from the beginning, and then it just kept getting worse. Their was just too many reasons why I didn't see eye to eye with his character.

Another issue I had was the POV switch. I can usually put up with multiples POV's, but don't prefer them. And THE MURDER COMPLEX was no exception. I really only liked Meadow's POV. Zephyr just drove me crazy, and that made me hate him even more when it would switch to his POV.

THE PLOT



Commandment One: Honor the Initiative.

Commandment Two: Thou shalt not attempt to cross the perimeter.

Commandment Three: Honor the Silent Hour.

Commandment Four: Thou shalt not harbor useful items from the days before.


In the horrifying world of THE MURDER COMPLEX, where murder rate is higher than the birthrate, and killing becomes as easy as breathing. Meadow, a girl just trying survive in this blood-soaked world she was born in, is ready to do the unthinkable in order to keep her family alive—even if she has to kill for it...

Fifteen-year-old Meadow Woodson has been trained to kill. Her only goal in life is to survive, survive and keep her family breathing, and that is by any means necessary.

KILL OR BE KILLED...

Meadow's father has been training her how to fight, kill, and survive for years. Preparing her for her chance to take the placement testing—where everyone gets the opportunity to prove their worth for the honor of a job in their society. He's been readying her for when the time comes that she will have to kill or be killed, for the job that their family so desperately needs. And it's now Meadow's time—kill or be killed.... Meadow is determined to be the last one standing, she's ready to embrace her training, she's ready to shed blood, she's ready to kill....

But then Meadow's world starts to fall apart even more when she meets Zephyr, a Ward of the state—unworthy in the eyes of The Murder Complex. But something is different about Zephyr, he's not like the other Wards, and she feels compelled to help him when he makes a stupid decision that could cost him his very life. And then the web The Murder Complex spun many years ago begins to unravel, and the truth behind it all starts to slowly surface, and many facts are revealed that could shatter their world to the very core. Meadow's world becomes a race against the clock as she tries to understand who—or what Zephyr is, and what really is The Murder Complex, and why do they want her so badly, but most important, how is her mother tied into it all. As if that's not enough, Meadow has to cope with all this while trying to find and rescue her family that's just become missing.

Like I said above, it was a good book with it's flaws. I was expecting more from THE MURDER COMPLEX then what I got, but it still satisfied enough to keep my attention and have me engrossed in the characters and the overall plot of the book. I'm still eager to read the next book and see how it all plays out, because that ending was intense and definitely has me craving the next book!!

Overall, THE MURDER COMPLEX was a thrilling start to a fun series that I know I will continue to enjoy! I had my issues with this book, but I also really enjoyed it at the same time. I've been eager to read this book after hearing about how bloody and dark it would be, and it overall didn't disappoint! I think if you enjoy dystopia, mixed with a touch of Sci-f, thrown into a bloody dark world, then you will definitely enjoy this one!!

NOTE: I received a physical ARC from Harper Teen for reviewing purposes! All opinions expressed are my own and are not influenced in any way!


4 Bone Hearts



 
Lindsay Cummings is the 20-year-old author of THE MURDER COMPLEX, as well as its sequel, coming 2014 from Greenwillow Books/HarperCollins, and the MG trilogy THE BALANCE KEEPERS, coming Fall 2014 from Katherine Tegen Books/HarperCollins.

Lindsay deals with chronic fatigue, can’t get enough of her two pesky German Shepherds, wolf cub, and two horses. She's still waiting on her letter from Hogwarts--it was probably just lost in the mail. You can follow Lindsay on twitter @lindsaycwrites



13 comments:

  1. Great review! I would like to read a cool book like this and I like the cover. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty cool! I hope you enjoy it! :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, what can I say about The Murder Complex, other than it was one heck of a ride. The Murder Complex is one of those books that appealed to me from the beginning. I was mesmerized by the dark essence and the fast paced plot that kept me engaged and entertained until the very last page!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, awesome quote! Wherever did you get it...lol! ;) It was a pretty awesome ride!

      Delete
  3. I have this one to read and I really need to get to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect timing, because the second book will be releasing soon!

      Delete
  4. Uh oh! A bad romance is a big negative for me. I don't read for romance, but I do like the romance being believable and good. This one sounds not so great. POV switches are something that I actually thoroughly enjoy, but only if they are done really, really well. It doesn't sound like this one is all that good. However, I love a thrilling, gory, dark read and The Murder Complex fits that to a T! On another note, I don't know what it says about loving blood and guts and gore, but you aren't alone! I am a big fan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well I'm glad I'm not alone in all the gore and blood liking! I LOVE IT!! I've always loved a good horror movie, even the ones that tend to scare the hebbie jebbies out of you!! And this one wasn't scary, but it had a lot of murder. The whole world was built around murder. Hell, the name is the "Murder Complex."

      But it was good, don't get me wrong...but it wasn't great. I just found too many aspects that turned me off for it too be something I would read again. But I do want to read the next book and see what happens. Because that cliffhanger (Damn them to hell ;) was tortures!!!

      Delete
    2. Those freakin cliffhangers!! Agh... I have read books that I did not even really like, but because of a stinking cliffhanger ending, I had to read the next book. I will eventually check this one out, but my expectations are a lot lower than they used to be.

      Speaking of horror? Read any really good horror stories lately? I have been looking for one, and having a really hard time finding a good one, that is actually scary!

      Delete
  5. I was on the fence about this one. The world sounds awesome but Zephyr sounds obnoxious and I hate instant obsessive love. I think I'll put this one off some more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love thrilling and fast-paced reads, so The Murder Complex sounds great! The world building also sounds interesting, but I do hate insta-love in books!

    ReplyDelete

I love meeting new people through comments, and I always try to comment back! Thanks for stopping by! :)