Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Salt & Stone by Victoria Scott ARC Review







Salt & Stone





Salt & Stone (Fire & Flood, #2) SALT & STONE
Victoria Scott
(Fire & Flood #2)
Genres: YA, Dystopian, Sci-f
Published: February 24th, 2015


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20657437-salt-stone?ref=ru_lihp_up_rs_43_mclk&uid=1867541034
What would you do to save someone you love?

In FIRE & FLOOD, Tella Holloway faced a dangerous trek through the jungle and across the desert, all to remain a Contender in the Brimstone Bleed for a chance at obtaining the Cure for her brother. She can't quit--she has to win the race, save Cody, and then fight to make sure the race stops before it can claim any more lives. In the next legs of the race, across the ocean and over mountains, Tella will face frostbite, sharks, avalanche, and twisted new rules in the race.

But what if the danger is deeper than that? How do you know who to trust when everyone's keeping secrets? What do you do when the person you'd relied on most suddenly isn't there for support? How do you weigh one life against another?

The race is coming to an end, and Tella is running out of time, resources, and strength. At the start of the race there were one hundred twenty-two Contenders. As Tella and her remaining friends start the final part of the race, just forty-one are left--and only one can win.
{AMAZON} {BARNES & NOBLE}




DON'T MISS HOW IT ALL STARTED...


Fire & Flood (Fire & Flood, #1) https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20657437-salt-stone

  
Check out my review of book 1, FIRE & FLOOD HERE!

SALT & STONE was a high stake race through two ecosystems that produced heart-pounding, action-packed adventure, to save the one you love. With it's combined thrilling determination for survival and the racing fast-paced plot, SALT & STONE sped though the pages and into a tangled web of conspiracies, lies, murder, survival, and a determination to endure the unthinkable to save the one you love!!!

SALT & STONE was a fun second installment with thrills and chills that kept your heart pumping in anticipation. I enjoyed this follow up a lot, but not as much as the first book, FIRE & FLOOD. The first book was off the hook EPIC!!! I loved it so much and it was definitely one of my favorite book last year. But sadly, SALT & STONE did not reach that same level of excitement for me, but it was still good nevertheless.

LET ME TRY TO EXPLAIN WHY...

I was ready for the crazy, unthinkable, mind blowing obstacles and earth moving revelations, and for the bottom to fall out of this series at alarming rate. But I didn't get any of that from SALT & STONE. From all the epic awesomeness that FIRE & FLOOD brought, my expectations were sky high, probably a little too high. But like I said above, I still did enjoy it a lot, but not no where near as much as I'd hoped for.

SALT & STONE felt lacking in the romance department. Unlike book one where the romance between Tella and Guy was hands shaking, spine tingling, and mind blowing. In SALT & STONE Tella and Guy argued most of the time and were at odds over every little thing. And it was annoying and so dam stupid what they were arguing over. It was like they were wrestling for control and leadership, when they both could of just put their childish differences aside and worked together. Granted, Tella was trying to find herself through all of this, and felt her only reason for making it as far as she did was because of Guy. But it wasn't his fault she was going through life-changing issues, and she didn't have to take it all out on him and be such a bit*h about it. Guy was only trying to take care of the one he loves and support her through it all. But it did get a lot better on that aspect towards the end of the book when Tella started to understand and accept who she truly was. I guess it was a necessary growth they had to go through to get to where they're at in the end. But I just didn't like the way it was done, and all the negativity and bad blood between them in the process.

Then the action was another let down I had with this book. It was definitely there, and it was good, but it wasn't at all like I'd hoped for. I just wanted more from it all; I wanted more answers then what I got, I wanted more drama in the plot, I wanted more obstacles and hardships for the characters, I just wanted and expected more from SALT & STONE, if that makes any since at all?? I guess it was my fault for having such high expectations from the beginning. If I wouldn't of expected so much from it, then I wouldn't of been let down like I was, and I even might of loved it. But nevertheless, it was still a fun ride that I enjoyed!

THE PLOT

Tella's made it through two of four legs of the race, enduring the harsh and dangerous environments that only get harder and more deadly with each ecosystems she encounters. But so far she's survived through it all, she has let nothing tear her down, though from time to time she's had more then a few near death experiences, but she still succeeded every time. And this time, she's stronger, harder, and more determined then ever. She's prepared to follow through with any and all of the Brimstone Bleed's insane plots and deadly antics that they will most definitely have in store for them. And she's ready for anything, she's ready to go down fighting...

The numbers of the competitors are dwindling with each leg of the race, and the environment is getting harsher then any she's been through, but with her group at her side, and her Pandora's close by, Tella's ready for anything, or is she...

The Brimstone Bleed has bended their rules to fit their insane little game, and Tella just so happens to be their unknowing and unwilling star. But she's struggling with herself and her dependence on Guy, and wonders if she's strong enough for this race, and questions if she would of made it this far without him. But all of that becomes an after thought when the race starts to speed up with the end in sight, but with only one capable winner, and everyone out to be that champion, everything starts to become an onslaught of desperation. But what are they really willing to do in order to be that last man standing and win the Cure for their loved one? Are they willing to lie, cheat, betray, and even murder to get what the want, and if so, doesn't that make them just as guilty as the Brimstone bleed??

Tella will have to go through unthinkable hardships while discovering who she is and what she's actually capable of, all while determining if she really is strong enough to survive this race, and if so, how far is she willing to go to be the first one over the finish line??

SALT & STONE was a great finish to the race, though not what I expected and not as much action and interaction with the other contenders as I hoped for. BUT... still, it was great, and I enjoyed a lot of the test, obstacles, and the harsh and deadly ecosystems that Tella and the rest of the team went through! And THAT ENDING!!!! OMG, I kinda had a clue as too what was going to happen, and who was going to win, but when it finally did played out, GOODNESS, IT . WAS . TORTURE!!!!

Overall, SALT & STONE didn't live up to it's predecessor in my opinion, but still added it's own exciting, nice touch to this series! I enjoyed it, though not a much as I hoped, but still enough to keep me reading until the very ending to see how everything plays out, because that cliffhanger ending was crazy torture!!!. I think this is a great series and definitely do recommended it to fans of dystopia and survival, you will find this series right up your alley!!!

NOTE: I received a Physical ARC from Scholastic Press for reviewing purposes! All opinions express are my own and are not influenced in any way!
4 Bone Hearts




Tori Scott Victoria Scott is a teen fiction writer represented by Sara Crowe. She's the author of the FIRE & FLOOD series published by Scholastic, and the DANTE WALKER trilogy published by Entangled Teen. Her books have been bought and translated in eleven foreign markets including the UK, Turkey, China, Poland, Germany, Australia, Israel, Taiwan, Brazil, New Zealand, and the Netherlands.
 
Victoria lives in Dallas with her husband and hearts cotton candy something fierce.
  
 



9 comments:

  1. I am sure that I don't say this THAT often, but man it sure as heck feels like it. I have not read Fire and Flood just yet. I plan on it, I own it, it sounds awesome, like my kind of story. I just have not read it yet. It is nice to know that the sequel is good, but a little sad that it isn't even MORE epic than the first. Either way, I am definitely looking forward to this great sounding series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your honest review. I still plan to read Salt and Stone, but like you, I was expecting a lot of action. Overall, it sounds good and I look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this. I've had my eye on this book for a few weeks now, and I've been wondering whether it's worth a look! I like the series I read to get better as it goes on though! I'll make sure that when I read it, I don't go into the second book with extremely high expectations. Hopefully that will help! It does look extremely good though and I'm very excited to read it. I feel like it almost has this Hunger Games/Maze Runner kind of feel to it??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I put Salt and Stone on my TBR list not knowing that it was the second in a series. I'm definitely going to have to read Fire & Flood first! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I put Salt and Stone on my TBR list not knowing that it was the second in a series. I'm definitely going to have to read Fire & Flood first! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! I haven't read any of the books in this series yet but it sounds interesting and worth reading, even if the second isn't as good as the first book. I love dystopia and want to read more books in that genre.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to read this dystopian series--sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed your review. I have read other reviews that had the same feeling - that while this book was fairly good, the first book in the series was off the charts good, so this one was kind of a letdown. Because of your review, I am definitely going to read Fire & Flood first, and then Salt and stone. Thanks for the informative review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed your review. I have read other reviews that had the same feeling - that while this book was fairly good, the first book in the series was off the charts good, so this one was kind of a letdown. Because of your review, I am definitely going to read Fire & Flood first, and then Salt and stone. Thanks for the informative review.

    ReplyDelete

I love meeting new people through comments, and I always try to comment back! Thanks for stopping by! :)