Friday, January 23, 2015

The Glass Arrow by Kristen Simmons ARC Review




The Glass Arrow






The Glass Arrow
The Glass Arrow
Kristen Simmons
(The Glass Arrow #1)
 
Genres: YA, Dystopian, Sci-f
Published: February 10th, 2015

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15750874-the-glass-arrow?ac=1
From the author of Article 5 comes the haunting tale of a girl on the run from the men who hunt her, men who want to auction off breeding rights to the highest bidder.

In a world where females are scarce and are hunted, then bought and sold at market for their breeding rights, 15-year old Aya has learned how to hide. With a ragtag bunch of other women and girls, she has successfully avoided capture and eked out a nomadic but free existence in the mountains. But when Aya’s luck runs out and she’s caught by a group of businessmen on a hunting expedition, fighting to survive takes on a whole new meaning.
  

Kristen Simmons has done it again in this EPIC standalone, that interweaves thrilling dystopia, heart-pounding adventure, turmoil of survival, and a fresh and truly unforgettable romance, that will touch your hearts for years to come. THE GLASS ARROW definitely delivers!!!

If there's one thing I know for sure about Kristen Simmons, it's that she NEVER fails me, NEVER!!! Even though I didn't love this standalone as much as her other series, ARTICLE 5, it came pretty close!! She has this powerful way that quickly gets her readers engaged and invested into the characters and story as it unfolds. And these characters in THE GLASS ARROW had the worst of the worse happen to them, so I was able to feel connected and drawn to them and their sorrows and desperation, an route for their success.

The world building is original, yet, their are a few similarities to other books I've read. But that's to be expected with any dystopian books. But Kristen Simmons was able to throw in her own unique plot, and collide them with the general dystopian setting, and sets this book on fire with her epic storytelling that never ceases to fail!!

Aya was such a solid protagonist. She was hardcore and willing to risk it all just to be free, and to free the ones she loved. Growing up in the mountains, trying to evade capture had turned Aya into a "Wild" girl, willing to get down and dirty and do the things that many wouldn't. She had all the character traits that I love in my female leads. She had this wild demeanor, yet, she knew when to play that card and when to lay low and wait for the perfect time to strike. She was such a strong character to have to endure the many things she had, and in this relatively quick standalone novel, she achieved much.

Kiran was another great character that I enjoyed. He was a little harder to figure out though. He was a driver, and considered mute. So in the beginning when Aye and Kiran would secretly meet, Kiran would express himself with actions. But what I loved about their connection was that they were able to communicate without having to speak any words. And it was beautiful, and truly heartwarming to watch this beauty unfold in such a harsh world. And I think it truly made the romance build up and slowly blossom to what it became.

But what I really loved about this book was that the characters were determined to survive, but not determined to save the world. In most dystopians you have the main characters fighting to get out of their bad situation, then fighting to fix the core of the problem. But not in this novel, the characters were only out to save themselves and the ones they loved and say the hell with the rest of world and all it's screwed up ways. And I LOVED THAT!!! It was a breath of fresh air to have a dystopian novel so different from the rest, and VERY rare. But unsurprisingly, Kristen Simmons did it just like I knew she would!

THE PLOT


Aya knows how to survive, she's been doing it since she was born. Hiding within the mountains, blending into the tress and becoming one with the earth, and only interacting with the ones she loves, trying to keep her people alive and remain safe, and free....

Aya has been her groups best chance of survival since her mother passed away and she was left to take over. She's strong, skilled, determined, and as loyal as they come. But most importantly, she'd rather be caught and claimed then see someone she loves go in her place. So she is the groups only chance of survival....

But then Aya's luck finally runs out when her group is torn apart by a bunch of business men looking for easy prey out in the mountains. She's captured and forced to abandon her family to the mercy of the predators who roam the mountains searching for their next breeder. Aya's world has been turned upside down, and the real fight for survival has just begun...

Aya is taken to the Garden—a Rehabilitation Center of sorts for girls to be groomed and prepped to be sold to a future buyer, for him to do as he pleases, for girls are merely property for the owner to do as they see fit. But Aya's not your normal Garden girl, she's been raised wild in the mountains and has a few tricks up her sleeve. She's determined to make sure she never scums to that horrible fate, but if she does, she's ready to go down fighting.

But then Aya's plans take a wild turn when she meets Kiran, a very strange but highly interesting mute driver that is determined to help her escape. At first she doesn't know what to make of him as no one in or around the Garden as ever seemed like they wanted to help her, except him. But their is something about his persistence, and caring demeanor that makes her feel she can trust him.

But before they can put their plan into action Aya's is sold to her buyer and forced to finally leave the Garden. Alone and out of options, Aya is done playing games, she's ready to get down and dirty and get herself free of the manic that has now claimed her...

Overall, THE GLASS ARROW was a great dystopian that brought fresh air and a touch of originality to the dystopia genre. Kristen Simmons did not fail and still remains one of my favorite authors, and I'm so excited to see what else she comes up with next!

NOTE: I received a physical ARC from Tor Teen for reviewing purposes! All opinions expressed are my own and are not influenced in any way!
4 Bone Hearts



Kristen SimmonsKristen Simmons has a master’s degree in social work and is an advocate for mental health. She lives with her family and their precious greyhound Rudy in Cincinnati, Ohio.

In 30 words or more…

I was raised in Reno, Nevada—just below Lake Tahoe in the Sierra Nevada Mountains—with horses and dogs and Red Angus cattle. When I was little I had a colorful imagination (read: I was a cheerful liar), and loved to write stories. I rocked spandex shorts and slouch socks, put too many scrunchies in my side ponytail, and watched The Goonies approximately one kajillion times. For a brief time, I dedicated myself to a future in professional hockey after careful study of The Mighty Ducks.

11 comments:

  1. I am in an ARC tour for The Glass Arrow, and I cannot wait for it to finally be my turn! Article 5 is one of my all time favorite series, and I can't wait to experience another strong world and characters from this brilliant author!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Article 5 so this one is already on my list

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love thrilling dystopia books. I can't wait to find out what happens with Aya's survival and the group she leads. I added this book to my Goodreads. I can't wait to read it and she how it play out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I need to read this book; I like Kristen Simmons. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the review; I've been seeing mentions of this everywhere, and I've wondered if the book was any good. Looks like I'll have to pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got this one on my wishlist and can't wait to read it. Thanks for the review I'm even more excited to read it now :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved her "Article 5" series and I can't wait to read her next one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice review! I love Kristen Simmons. Can't wait for this one.
    -Mikee

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks I was loving the cover but didn't know if I should pick it up. I'll have to pick one up then. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aya sounds like a great character!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have this one on my nightstand! Why am I so slow at getting around to reading some great books!

    ReplyDelete

I love meeting new people through comments, and I always try to comment back! Thanks for stopping by! :)