Monday, January 5, 2015

The Crown of Embers by Rae Carson Review





The Crown of Embers






 https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18196040-the-walled-city
In the sequel to the acclaimed The Girl of Fire and Thorns, a seventeen-year-old princess turned war queen faces sorcery, adventure, untold power, and romance as she fulfills her epic destiny.

Elisa is the hero of her country.

She led her people to victory against a terrifying enemy, and now she is their queen. But she is only seventeen years old. Her rivals may have simply retreated, choosing stealth over battle. And no one within her court trusts her-except Hector, the commander of the royal guard, and her companions. As the country begins to crumble beneath her and her enemies emerge from the shadows, Elisa will take another journey. With a one-eyed warrior, a loyal friend, an enemy defector, and the man she is falling in love with, Elisa crosses the ocean in search of the perilous, uncharted, and mythical source of the Godstone's power. That is not all she finds. A breathtaking, romantic, and dangerous second volume in the Fire and Thorns trilogy.

She does not know what awaits her at the enemy's gate.

The Girl of Fire and Thorns Stories (Fire and Thorns, #0.5-0.7) The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns, #1) The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns, #2) 
The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns, #3)




THE CROWN OF EMBERS was an EXPLOSIVE READ that I absolutely LOVED!! It took me on the ride of my life, and filled me with such awesomeness that kept me up reading late into night, craving just one-more-chapter I couldn't get enough of!!! I loved the world building, the characters, the villains, the magical aspects, frankly, I loved just about every single thing in this novel, no, in this series!!

THE CROWN OF EMBERS was a gem waiting to be explored for me. It had layers upon layers of depth and character development, and more plot then I could grasp! Rae Carson is truly a book-god in my world! She has the gift of enchantment, for she surly put a hex on me with this magical story, because I absolutely, positively, undoubtedly, LOVE THE CROWN OF EMBERS SERIES so freaking much!!!

THE PLOT:

Elisa is the hero of her country.

She saved her people from the Invierne and brought her country back from the brink of war. She defeated the Animagi that brought fire and death upon her kingdom. She channeled the Godstone's power and learned to wield it against her foes. She was Joya d'Arena's last hope, and she didn't fail them, and for that, she is their queen...

Seventeen-year-old queen Elisa is anything but political familiar. She never wanted to be queen, let alone rule a whole country twice the size of her hometown county all by herself. But she is, and she must rise up from the ashes to piece her country back together bit by bit. But the enemy has sworn vengeance's, sworn that they will come like ghost in a dream. And they will get their revenge, one way or another, they're coming, the clock is ticking...

With a newly inexperienced queen, a country trying to piece it's self back together, an enemy still striking from the shadows, a rebellion brewing, and civil war threatening to tear their country apart, theirs more then enough chaos and insanity to distract the country from it's enemies and traders threatening to rise up and seek it's vengeance's.

But then the queen starts to fear her enemies are closer then she once thought, and plotting to destroy her and the country she's been fighting for. Her allies are in short supply, and the power she wields is no where near enough to defeat the Animagi that are hell bent on conquering her power and defeating their county. And Elisa is no closer in figuring out her next move. But time is running out, and her enemies are lying in wake, waiting for the perfect time to strike...

But their is someone who also seems to spark hope within, and keeps her sanity from turning no matter the situation. It's the Commander of her royal guard, and keeper of her heart, Hector. He unknowingly sparks something deep within, that thrives anytime he's near. She has loved and lost once, but their is something about the Commander of her guard that makes her feel she can love again, only if he loved her too, something she's not sure she wants to find out, yet....

So Elisa and a few of her most trusted allies cook up a ruse and travel to an ancient island that's suppose to be the heart of the Godstone's power. But she can't have her enemies on all sides knowing where she's going and why. So they must travel through harsh lands and waters to evade her enemies, locate the mythological island, learn how to absorb and harness it's power, get back to her castle and uncover the trader in they're political circle, defeat the Animagi threatening to wreck havoc, and some how keep the man she's falling in love with from leaving her, all while staying alive long enough to achieve it all. Yup, piece a cake, right? I think not!!!

Overall, if your looking for a fast-paced read, with secrets and betrayals, war and death, friendship and love, and a queen destined to overcome all, and set her country free of it's foes, built around a magical background that pulses the story to it's fullest, then THE CROWN OF EMBERS is exactly the book you've been looking for!! I HIGHLY recommend it, and am eagerly anticipating the third and final book in this epically wonderful trilogy, that has sent chills down my spine time and time again!! And will forever go down as one of my favorite series of all time!!! THE CROWN OF EMBERS is a must read for any fantasy/adventure fan out there, it will not disappoint!!!!



Rae Carson










7 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the first book. I need to get around to reading this one, especially after your review. The first one was a fast read, so glad to hear this one is as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read a ton of reviews for each book in this series, and I have no clue why I have not read it yet based on those review. And now I read your review and I am left thinking once again that I might be an idiot. Yup! Definitely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...............I never read this series though i think this one might be one worth reading! Thanks for this review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of this series before but this sounds fantastic! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I always love finding books I normally wouldn't have on my own :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love love love this series so much and feel it is so underrated!! EVERYONE SHOULD READ THIS NOW!!!
    <3 Britt

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love fantasy books and I've heard great things about this trilogy, so I might check it out! Sounds like a book that really grips your attention!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely loved this series. I read the first two books in just a few days while I was on my cruise in October. I loved that she is such a strong heroine and the book does not rely on romance! I just bought the short stories and cannot wait to read them.

    ReplyDelete

I love meeting new people through comments, and I always try to comment back! Thanks for stopping by! :)