Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Waiting On Wednesday #81: City of Savages by Lee Kelly


Waiting On Wednesday
 is a Weekly event hosted by Jill @ Breaking The Spine that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating. If it sounds like something your interested in, then head over the Breaking The Spine and Sign-up!



Hey Guys,
I hope everyone is having a fantastic week so far?
This weeks WoW is a book that sounds pretty dam great! Anyways, check out this weeks WoW, and don't forget to link me up to yours and I'll come visit you!!





City of Savages





City of Savages
City of Savages
Genres: YA, Dystopian, Sci-f
Published: February 3rd, 2015

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17406847-defy?ac=1
It’s been nearly two decades since the Red Allies first attacked New York, and Manhattan is now a prisoner-of-war camp, ruled by Warden Rolladin and her brutal, impulsive warlords. For 17-year-old Skyler Miller, Manhattan is a cage that keeps her from the world beyond the city’s borders. But for Sky’s 16-year-old sister, Phee, the P.O.W. camp is a dangerous playground of possibility, and the only home she’d ever want.

When Sky and Phee discover their mom’s hidden journal from the outbreak of the war, they both realize there’s more to Manhattan—and their mother—than either of them had ever imagined. And after a group of strangers arrives at the annual P.O.W. census, the girls begin to uncover the island’s long-kept secrets. The strangers hail from England, a country supposedly destroyed by the Red Allies, and Rolladin’s lies about Manhattan’s captivity begin to unravel.

Hungry for the truth, the sisters set a series of events in motion that ends in the death of one of Rolladin’s guards. Now they’re outlaws, forced to join the strange Englishmen on an escape mission through Manhattan. Their flight takes them into subways haunted by cannibals, into the arms of a sadistic cult in the city’s Meatpacking District, and, through the pages of their mom’s old journal, into the island’s dark and shocking past. Sky and Phee are dependent on each other, and their ragged posse, for survival, but as their feelings grow toward the handsome English boy Ryder, love and jealousy threaten to break them apart.

While primarily a thriller, City of Savages is also a story about the many meanings of sisterhood, told across two generations of New York women—those who survived a terrible tragedy, and those who were raised to live in its aftermath.





I am really excited for this book! I haven't read too many dystopins lately, as I'm a little burnt out. But dystopians were-are my favorite genre, well now fantasy is taking the lead. But I miss dystopians, and CITY OF SAVAGES sounds like the perfect get me out of my dystopians reading slump!




Lee KellyWhy hello, and thanks for dropping by! My name is Lee Kelly, and I’m a writer of young adult and genre fiction, a lawyer by trade and a new mom (my almost two year-old, Penn Joseph, keeps me very busy). And my debut, CITY OF SAVAGES, is coming in February 3, 2015 from Simon & Schuster (though I still can’t fully believe it — and saying and writing it never gets old :).

I was born and raised in Philadelphia, went to Georgetown University and, with the exception of a couple years spent in glorious Santa Monica on the west coast, I’ve been buzzing around New York ever since.

My debut, CITY OF SAVAGES, naturally takes place in New York City, in a not-too-distant future, where Manhattan has become a prisoner-of-war camp. While I know there are quite a few end-of-the-worlds on bookshelves these days, I like to think my story offers something new, by exploring this potential future NYC intimately, even tenderly, through the eyes of two very different sisters who have never stepped outside of Manhattan. The sisters’ relationship is also front and center, and told via a dual-narrative — and being one of three sisters myself, this was EXTREMELY fun to write. The book also has a very robust subplot which focuses on the secrets of the previous generation, as well as the city’s dark, twisty past. CITY OF SAVAGES was sold by my agent, the lovely and amazing Adriann Ranta of Wolf Literary Services, to Navah Wolfe at S&S. Navah is witty, articulate, passionate… pretty much a dream editor. I am beyond thrilled to be part of such a great team.

What about you? What are YOU waiting on?

Link me up so I can come see what your desperately waiting on!


5 comments:

  1. OOoh interesting! Totally new to me! Hope you absolutely love it once you read it!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I picked this one a few weeks ago as one of my picks. I so love the feel of the book. Dystopian's can be a lot of fun to read. Great pick.

    Grace @ Books of Love
    Here's My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen this one around a few times and it does look SO good! I can't wait to get my hands on it! I hope you love it :)

    Here's my WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I've read a love triangle with two girls yet! This sounds interesting :)

    Eileen @ BookCatPin

    ReplyDelete
  5. This does sound really interesting and new for a dystopia. I hear ya on getting burnt out by them. But this could be awesome depending on how fully-realized the author makes it. Cool pick!!

    Here's my WoW: Zodiac

    ReplyDelete

I love meeting new people through comments, and I always try to comment back! Thanks for stopping by! :)