Friday, October 24, 2014

The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson ARC Review




Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson






Published: July 7th, 2014 
Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17406847-defy?ac=1 
A princess must find her place in a reborn world.

She flees on her wedding day.

She steals ancient documents from the Chancellor's secret collection.


She is pursued by bounty hunters sent by her own father.

She is Princess Lia, seventeen, First Daughter of the House of Morrighan.

The Kingdom of Morrighan is steeped in tradition and the stories of a bygone world, but some traditions Lia can't abide. Like having to marry someone she's never met to secure a political alliance.

Fed up and ready for a new life, Lia flees to a distant village on the morning of her wedding. She settles in among the common folk, intrigued when two mysterious and handsome strangers arrive—and unaware that one is the jilted prince and the other an assassin sent to kill her. Deceptions swirl and Lia finds herself on the brink of unlocking perilous secrets—secrets that may unravel her world—even as she feels herself falling in love.

 
{AMAZON} {BARNES & NOBLE}





Read an Excerpt of Kiss of Deception HERE!






 THE KISS OF DECEPTION was surprisingly original, and a highly mysterious adventure, that had me in anticipation until the very end. Mary E. Pearson crafts something so magical, and truly heartwarming, as one girl—princess, fights for what she believes in. And slowly builds the strength and courage to overcome the oncoming battle that has claimed her as it's pawn. THE KISS OF DECEPTION packs a powerful punch that had me swaying until the last page!

But I have to admit my feelings were conflicted throughout the majority of the THE KISS OF DECEPTION. On one hand, I absolutely loved it. I adored the characters and their strengths and willpower, and overall the epic worldbuilding that kept me reading until the end. But on the other hand, I struggled with the pacing and lack of action and adventure that most of the book lacked. It also took me a while to actually get into THE KISS OF DECEPTION. But after about halfway through, that's when I really started to get pulled in, and wanted to unravel all it's hidden secrets. That's one thing I can say about this book, it had lots of secrets, and mystery's you had to decipher. And that was one of the best aspects of this book. Throughout most of the book you didn't know who was the Prince and who was the Assassin. But it became like a game to me, every so often I would change my mind of who was who, but eventually by the end, my final guess of who was the Prince and who was the Assassin, was right! ;)

THE PLOT
Princess Lia, First Daughter of the House of Morrighan wants freedom. She wants options, the opportunity to love the one her heart chooses. Not to be forced into at the hands of her father, the King of Morrighan. She wants to marry for love, not to forge an alliance. But the time has come, and now Lia must do as she's told. She will be forced into a marriage with a prince she doesn't know, let alone love. Then demanded to move to a kingdom that their country has a rocky alliance with. She will be forced to sacrifice her life for the kingdom of Morrighan, and play her part as their pawn. But Lia has a secret, she is done playing her roll, she is done being the princess that does as she is told, she is done living a life she doesn't want, but most of all, she is done being a solider in her fathers army. And she is ready to take action, she is ready to claim her life, as hers...

On Princess Lia's wedding day, she decides it's time, and her and her best friend Pauline flee from their kingdom in search of a knew beginning for them both. After tremendously covering their tracks, they finally make the long trek to a little village in Terravin, and try to start a quiet new life as tavern maids. But what Princess Lia doesn't know, is that she has been followed. There are people who are searching for her for their own very special reasons, and two of them has just walked into her life.

Her betrothed, the Prince of Dalbreck, has entered the peaceful town of Terravin. With his uncertainty of his full motives, only that he secretly wishes to seek out this spoiled Princess that fled on their wedding day. But when the prince meets Lia, no longer the princess she was, all the anger and resentment that he felt for her slowly washes away, as he stares into the eyes of not a self-absorbed rich princess acting out for not getting her way. But he sees the true qualities of what a princess should be; strong, caring, selfless, helpful, thoughtful, and nothing like he thought she'd be. Suddenly, his motives become clear, he needs Lia, he needs her more then anyone he's ever needed. She becomes the life he wishes to have, she becomes the everything that is missing in is life.

And the other that has tracked Lia to the village of Terravin is an assassin. Sent by his barbarian leaders to quickly murder her and be on his way. But he too does not expect to meet the Princess as who she really is. And then he starts to second guess his mission, and if he can actually kill not the princess, but the woman that he's come to love. But if his mission fails, and he does not complete what is intended of him, he will pay the price, and then someone else would be sent in his place to complete what he could not, to kill the princess.... Either way, the clock is ticking, and he has to make a choice, but what he decides could very well change all the kingdoms combined.

Lia is unaware of who either of the men truly are. She thinks they're passing thorough like many others to visit the festival there Terravin. All while unaware of their true motives, and how deadly they truly are. But the prince and the assassin have both caught her eye, and she slowly builds a bound and trust with them both. But soon, Lia will have to face the reality of her choices—choices that may end lives, shatter kingdoms, and put the ultimate weapon in enemy's hands...

Overall, THE KISS OF DECEPTION was full of secrets and surprises that kept me second guessing myself until the very end. Though it did take me longer then I anticipated to fully be immersed into this novel, it still was enough to keep me hanging on. And when it did finally take off, it took off on full force!! I would definitely recommenced THE KISS OF DECEPTION, especially to anyone that's looking for a rich fantasy, with a touch of originality, and mystery to keep you enthralled until the end!

NOTE: I received a physical ARC from Henry Holt for reviewing purposes! All opinions expressed are my own and are not influenced in any way!
4 Bone Hearts




Mary E. PearsonMary E. Pearson is the award-winning author of The Jenna Fox Chronicles, The Miles Between, A Room on Lorelei, and Scribbler of Dreams.  She writes full-time from her home office in California where she lives with her husband and two golden retrievers.

{WEBSITE} {GOODREADS} {TWITTER} {FACEBOOK





6 comments:

  1. Oh wow! Great review! Pretty much since I read my first review of this some months back I was hooked! I cannot wait to read it myself one day hopefully soon because I really really want to read it! A bit behind on review books at the moment and trying to read a few other necessary ones but this is looking like my first freedom from it all book! LOL! Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a little on the fence about reading this one. My attention span isn't too great, so when a plot takes a while to really get interesting, I am likely to put the book aside and read something else. What has me leaning towards picking it up, though, is your comment that you went back and forth while reading trying to figure out who was the prince and who was the assassin. I *love* stuff like that. Most books are, if not predictable, slowly leading the reader towards to conclusion. There's no slight of hand, no misdirect. I love when a book makes me think. It keeps me engaged :) Kind of like The Blacklist and how everyone's trying to figure out how Red is tied to Lizzie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This story is not my normal, but something about it makes me want to read it anyway. I have heard such great things about it, which makes me wary. But I think this is one that I will absolutely read, when I have the chance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard good things about this book. That's a shame that it wasn't as actionful and exciting for the first half. A good mystery is hard to find though, even if you did guess who was the prince and who was the assassin in the end. Did the assassin still want her dead?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard good things about this book. That's a shame that it wasn't as actionful and exciting for the first half. A good mystery is hard to find though, even if you did guess who was the prince and who was the assassin in the end. Did the assassin still want her dead?

    ReplyDelete
  6. To read or not to read? I really cannot decide.i probably will...
    Thanks for your honest opinion

    ReplyDelete

I love meeting new people through comments, and I always try to comment back! Thanks for stopping by! :)