Monday, October 13, 2014

Lailah by Nikki Kelly book ARC Review











Lailah





Lailah
Nikki Kelly
(The Styclar Saga #1)
Published: October 7th, 2014
Genres: YA, Paranormal, Fantasy

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18324459-lailah?ac=1
The girl knows she’s different. She doesn’t age. She has no family. She has visions of a past life, but no clear clues as to what she is, or where she comes from. But there is a face in her dreams – a light that breaks through the darkness. She knows his name is Gabriel.

On her way home from work, the girl encounters an injured stranger whose name is Jonah. Soon, she will understand that Jonah belongs to a generation of Vampires that serve even darker forces. Jonah and the few like him, are fighting with help from an unlikely ally – a rogue Angel, named Gabriel.

In the crossfire between good and evil, love and hate, and life and death, the girl learns her name: Lailah. But when the lines between black and white begin to blur, where in the spectrum will she find her place? And with whom?

Gabriel and Jonah both want to protect her. But Lailah will have to fight her own battle to find out who she truly is.
{AMAZON} {BARNES & NOBLE} {KOBO} {BOOK DEPOSITORY} {iTUNES}





The Styclar Saga







 
OMG, I LOVED THIS!!!!

description

At first, I was a little skeptical because of the insta-love, and YES, a love triangle.

description

BUT... I am telling you it was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!! I know a lot of people either loved it or hated it. But I find myself in the category that LOVED LAILAH, absolutely loved it, and both of the HIGHLY addicting HOT guys! :)

description

I so desperately need book 2 NOWWWW!!!! I can hardly contain myself!! 


Okay, I have to keep it real and tell you about some of the reservations I had about LAILAH in the beginning. I was so excited for LAILAH when I first heard about it, and then the cover released and it sealed the deal for me. But after starting it, I noticed some aspects that I normally don't like in my books. And then I became skeptical...

But I am thrilled to announce that all my doubts and uncertainty were for nothing, because LAILAH turned out to be an amazing book that I just loved!!! I was weary about the insta-love and the love triangle. I HATE insta-love, I mean HATE IT!! I need to have some depth and relationship development in my books for the relationship to work for me. And while LAILAH did have a form of insta-love, it turned out that it really wasn't. I know that probably doesn't makes sense, but if you read the book you'll understand what I mean. But I still found myself drawn to Lailah and Gabriel's relationship, even before I realized what was going on and why they're feelings ran so deep for each other. In other words, the insta-love angle, in my opinion, was done well and satisfied, especially in the end when it's all revealed.

And for the love triangle, that is another aspect that you have to get to the end of the book to really understand and grasp the full depth of they're feelings. There is important reasons of why Lailah is drawn to both boys, and why they're feels run so deep. I absolutely loved both love interest, Gabriel and Jonah. Gabriel was the good boy Angel, that has deep feelings and a strong past with Lailah, but is trying to make up for some of the wrong in their past. And he was amazing, and willing to do whatever it took to keep Lailah safe.

And Jonah, the bad boy vampire, was crazyyyy sexy!! He was dark, and deadly, and mysterious, and so dam sexy!! Oh, I already said that...lol! ;) But he also cared for Lailah, and was willing to do anything to keep her safe!! And sooo, my feelings were (and still are) conflicted about who I love the most and want to see end up with Lailah. So I will have to wait and read book 2 to know for sure of where my heart and loyalties lies! :) 
 
THE PLOT


Lailah knows she's different. She doesn't know who or what she is, only that she's not like others around her. She tries to conceal her differences, but when she never ages, and heals so quickly that it isn't humanly possible, things become a little hard to hide.
 

To make things more complicated, Lailah's having the same reoccurring visions about a beautiful boy that makes her heart ache. It's the same boy in every vision, but she feels that she knows him somehow. She doesn't know how, or who he is, only that she feels it with every fiber of soul that this boy is more then a vision, and he is very important to her. 
 
But when one fateful night, Lailah's world collides with the unknown, everything changes, forever....


Lailah has just been opened up into the paranormal world. Something she's always known existed, but tried to avoid. But that is something Lailah can no longer do when she's coming home from a late night shift at the bar, when she runs into a handsome, but dying vampire. Lailah can't force herself to walk away, and that is the beginning of the end, for Lailah!!!

  

Lailah agrees to help Jonah, the injured vampire that is in desperate need of blood. But she quickly learns that he is running from someone, or something, and that she has just gotten herself pulled into his deadly chase. Running for their lives, Jonah and Lailah meet up with some of Jonah's friends, and that is when Lailah's world comes crashing down around her. The visions come racing back to her all at once, and she's smacked with the reality, that her dream guy, really walks among them...

Press the X to close this window 

Gabriel, the boy from her visions is a Angel, and more beautiful then she's ever imagined. But when Gabriel conforms all her suspicions; they have meet, and they do have history, deep history, and he holds some of the secrets she seeks. Now Lailah is more eager then ever to unravel the web from her past. But then Lailah starts to feel something is not right, she knows he's hiding something, but what he hides is the mystery. One thing Lailah knows for sure; there is no doubt of his love for her, and they have shared something strong, some serious feeling for each other in the past. But what is he hiding from her, and why is he so determined to save her, when he left her so many years ago?

Ian Somerhalder as Damon Salvatore in The Vampire Diaries @Karen Jacot Jacot Jacot Jacot Darling Space & Stuff Blog West

As her feelings for Gabriel come to the surface, and he slowly pushes her away with his secrets and lies. Lailah turns to the only other person she feels a connections with, Jonah, the vampire she saved. Jonah has his own formed connections for Lailah, his own reasons why he's bounded with her. Their friendship blooms and grows the more Gabriel pushes Lailah away with his actions. Lailah can't help but to care for the vampire she saved, and who's saved her in so many ways. But what do you do when your heart is pulling you one way, but your mind and body are pulling you another?

As Lailah comes to terms with her Gabriel's past, and her and Jonah's new found friendship, she realizes that everything is not as it seems, and runs deeper then she once thought. Vampires and paranormal beings are chasing her. They all want her for some reason, and they're determined to get her one way or another. She doesn't know why or what they want, but she knows that every where she goes, someone is there; watching and waiting... to claim her.


Lailah's world is coming to a head as secretes are revealed, evil plots thicken, years of treachery unfold, love shatters, lust takes control, and her world explodes. She's finally getting the answers she seeks, but what she finds could very well unbalance the world as they know it. She will have to dig deep within and decide what and who she really is regardless of the blood that runs through her veins. Because before all is said and done, Lailah will have to make the ultimate choice of just where and who her loyalties lie, and what side of the line she's willing to fight for...

YESSS, that was sooo epic!! I loved the intense, complex scenes, with awesome characters that kicked butt, the secrets that just kept coming, and the twist that had me spinning!! I have to admit that I had my doubts about LAILAH, but I am SO pleased that author Nikki Kelly proved me wrong by taking me for one hell of a ride with LAILAH!!

Overall, I loved Lailah, and can't WAIT for book two to release. If you're not a fan of love triangles or  insta-love, then I understand your reluctance to not want to read it. But I tell you now and LOUD, do NOT let that be the only reason you do not read this book. Because LAILAH portrayed love triangles and insta-love like I've never seen. And had me swooning over BOTH guys, wishing Lailah could just say screw it, and have them both!! All I want to say is that before you turn the other check, just try and give LAILAH a fair try, you may just find like me, that it's well worth the shot and more!!!

4.5 Stars



Nikki KellyI was born and raised only minutes away from the chocolately scent of Cadbury World in Birmingham, England. So it will probably come as no surprise that when I'm not dreaming in Vampires & Angels, I dream in chocolate! For the past ten years I have lived in West London with my hubby and two dogs, Alfie - the Pug & Goose - the Chihuahua.

LAILAH is my debut novel, and first launched in serial form to wattpad, a readers & writers community. Within just 6months, LAILAH had over a million reads and thousands of comments and votes.

Since then, The Styclar Saga has gone on to pick up a traditional deal with Feiwel & Friends, and LAILAH, the first book in the series is due for release on October 7th 2014.

These days I spend my time balancing my amazing job of writing fantasy fiction, with my other, very important role of Chocolate Connoisseur. I like to multitask and do the two together. It makes me happy.



{WEBSITE} {GOODREADS} {TWITTER} {FACEBOOK}







2 comments:

  1. I was super excited for this one too, but then those reviews started popping up all over the place. You know the ones, the really negative ones? And there seemed to be so many of those, that they almost overshadowed the positive reviews. I am happy to have read your review for the book! I am more willing to take a chance now, and MAN do I love that cover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... I am not much of a fan of Insta-love stories.

    ReplyDelete

I love meeting new people through comments, and I always try to comment back! Thanks for stopping by! :)