Monday, September 8, 2014

Illusions of Fate by Kiersten White ARC Review





Illusions of Fate











https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19367070-illusions-of-fate?from_search=true
Downton Abbey meets Cassandra Clare in this lush, romantic fantasy from New York Times bestselling author Kiersten White.

“I did my best to keep you from crossing paths with this world. And I shall do my best to protect you now that you have.”

Jessamin has been an outcast since she moved from her island home of Melei to the dreary country of Albion. Everything changes when she meets Finn, a gorgeous, enigmatic young lord who introduces her to the secret world of Albion’s nobility, a world that has everything Jessamin doesn’t—power, money, status…and magic. But Finn has secrets of his own, dangerous secrets that the vicious Lord Downpike will do anything to possess. Unless Jessamin, armed only with her wits and her determination, can stop him.

Kiersten White captured readers’ hearts with her New York Times bestselling Paranormalcy trilogy and its effortless mix of magic and real-world teenage humor. She returns to that winning combination of wit, charm, and enchantment in Illusions of Fate, a sparkling and romantic new novel perfect for fans of Cassandra Clare, The Madman’s Daughter, and Libba Bray.
 










Jessamin left her home island of Melei to go to one of the best schools in the upper class country of Albion. But as Jessa starts to get into her normal routine in a new country, her world is thrown up into a chaotic uproar. Jessa has just been opened into a new world....of magic. 

“I did my best to keep you from crossing paths with this world. And I shall do my best to protect you now that you have.” 

 When Jessa meets the enticing and dangerously alluring young Lord, Finn Ackerly, she is quickly swept into a magical world known only to the nobility. Jessa can't help but feel drawn to the attractively charming lord, but knows that something is different when she is around him. She's never known magic existed, let alone is the backbone to the nobles existence. But when it becomes clear that magic is in fact real, and it's not going away, she will have to decide what, and ultimately who is worth fighting for.

There is a deadly game being played by two very powerful lords, and Jessa just so happens to be dead smack in the middle of it all! She's become their pawn piece in their vicious game of magical war, and if Jessa wants to save the ones she's come to love, then she has no choice but to follow through and be the pawn in their vicious game of tug a war. 

With no other options, Jessa will have to use every ally she has made to dig herself out of the mess she's been pulled into to beat the evil Minister of Defense, Lord Downpike at his own game. Because if she fails, not only the ones she's come to love, but also her home island will pay the ultimate price.

Overall, ILLUSIONS OF FATE was a quick, lighthearted, read, with thrilling characters that were entertaining and magical. I really enjoyed ILLUSIONS OF FATE, even with it's unrevealed secrets that I'm dying to know. It still was a great read and I would definitely recommend it. 

4 Stars 



 
Kiersten WhiteHi! I'm the New York Times best-selling author of Paranormalcy and Supernaturally. I also give the most awkward hugs in the world. You should probably opt for one of my books over one of my hugs, but then again, maybe you like awkward hugs.

As for me, I like writing flirting scenes, and fighting scenes, and sometimes I write scenes that fall somewhere in between the two, but only if I can't avoid it.
{BLOG} {GOODREADS} {TWITTER} {FACEBOOK}







2 comments:

  1. This one has been one of my favorites this year! I loved it so much. the plot was perfectly paced, but the characters blew it out of the water for me. I am so glad that you enjoyed this one, Alicia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review. I'll add it to my library tbr pile.:)

    ReplyDelete

I love meeting new people through comments, and I always try to comment back! Thanks for stopping by! :)