Thursday, July 10, 2014

What's Next #65: Winterkill, The Queen Of Tearling, Talon


What's Next
is a weekly bookish event hosted by Icey Books that helps bloggers/readers decide on their next book to read. If this sounds like something your interested in, then head over to Icey Books and sign-up!




Hey Guys, Happy Thursday!
I hope everyone is having a wonderful week so far? Check out What's Next in my Reading Pile and if you can help me out by voting on What Next to read, you'd be a BIG help!








PICK ONE





Winterkill

Winterkill
Published: September 9th, 2014
Genres: Young Adult, Dystopian

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17798031-meridian?ac=1
Emmeline knows she’s not supposed to explore the woods outside her settlement. The enemy that wiped out half her people lurks there, attacking at night and keeping them isolated in an unfamiliar land with merciless winters. Living with the shame of her grandmother’s insubordination, Emmeline has learned to keep her head down and her quick tongue silent.

When the settlement leader asks for her hand in marriage, it’s an opportunity for Emmeline to wash the family slate clean—even if she has eyes for another. But before she’s forced into an impossible decision, her dreams urge her into the woods, where she uncovers a path she can’t help but follow. The trail leads to a secret that someone in the village will kill to protect. Her grandmother followed the same path and paid the price. If Emmeline isn’t careful, she will be next.






 PICK TWO




The Queen of the Tearling (The Queen of the Tearling, #1)The Queen Of Tearling
Published: July 8th, 2014
Genres: YA/Adult ?, Fantasy

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17798031-meridian?ac=1
On her nineteenth birthday, Princess Kelsea Raleigh Glynn, raised in exile, sets out on a perilous journey back to the castle of her birth to ascend her rightful throne. Plain and serious, a girl who loves books and learning, Kelsea bears little resemblance to her mother, the vain and frivolous Queen Elyssa. But though she may be inexperienced and sheltered, Kelsea is not defenseless: Around her neck hangs the Tearling sapphire, a jewel of immense magical power; and accompanying her is the Queen’s Guard, a cadre of brave knights led by the enigmatic and dedicated Lazarus. Kelsea will need them all to survive a cabal of enemies who will use every weapon—from crimson-caped assassins to the darkest blood magic—to prevent her from wearing the crown.

Despite her royal blood, Kelsea feels like nothing so much as an insecure girl, a child called upon to lead a people and a kingdom about which she knows almost nothing. But what she discovers in the capital will change everything, confronting her with horrors she never imagined. An act of singular daring will throw Kelsea’s kingdom into tumult, unleashing the vengeance of the tyrannical ruler of neighboring Mortmesne: the Red Queen, a sorceress possessed of the darkest magic. Now Kelsea will begin to discover whom among the servants, aristocracy, and her own guard she can trust.

But the quest to save her kingdom and meet her destiny has only just begun—a wondrous journey of self-discovery and a trial by fire that will make her a legend…if she can survive.
{AMAZON} {BARNES & NOBLE}






PICK THREE





Talon (Talon, #1)  Talon
Published: October 28th, 2014
Genres: YA, Paranormal, Fantasy

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17798031-meridian?ac=1
Long ago, dragons were hunted to near extinction by the Order of St. George, a legendary society of dragon slayers. Hiding in human form and growing their numbers in secret, the dragons of Talon have become strong and cunning, and they're positioned to take over the world with humans none the wiser.

Ember and Dante Hill are the only sister and brother known to dragonkind. Trained to infiltrate society, Ember wants to live the teen experience and enjoy a summer of freedom before taking her destined place in Talon. But destiny is a matter of perspective, and a rogue dragon will soon challenge everything Ember has been taught. As Ember struggles to accept her future, she and her brother are hunted by the Order of St. George.

Soldier Garret Xavier Sebastian has a mission to seek and destroy all dragons, and Talon's newest recruits in particular. But he cannot kill unless he is certain he has found his prey: and nothing is certain about Ember Hill. Faced with Ember's bravery, confidence and all-too-human desires, Garret begins to question everything that the Order has ingrained in him: and what he might be willing to give up to find the truth about dragons.


 
 So, what'cha think of my top 3 choices of the week? If you can help me out, leave a comment voting on which book should come first.



Don't forget to link me up to your What's Next or weekly memo and I'll come visit you! :-)



6 comments:

  1. Awesome list! I think my vote is for Talon- I love Julie Kagawa's writing (I've read the original four Iron Fey books by her as well as the first Blood of Eden book) and she can write different genres yet still have awesome stories and characters, so I'm curious what her dragon books will be like. Enjoy your pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Violet! I'm excited for Talon also! Julie is amazing at writing different genres and still making them awesome! After reading the first chapter of Talon, I have a feeling that Julie's just ROCKED the dragon/paranormal world with it!!!

      Thanks for voting, Violet!!

      Delete
  2. I'd definitely vote for Talon! I picked up a copy at BEA and am pretty excited to get into it myself. I love Julie's writing!

    What's Next for Me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited for Talon myself!! I took a sneak peak and I instantly knew it was going to be awesome!! But that's no surprise with Julie's books!

      Thanks for voting! :)

      Delete
  3. I like the sound of them all, but I like Winterkill the best! Want to get my hands on that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the vote! I'm actually reading WINTERKILL now! It's...different, but pretty good. It's kinda slow, and I was thinking about DNFin it, but I took a little sneak peak towards the end to help me decide if I wanted to keep reading it or not, and it definitely sounds like it'll pick up soon. So as of 50 pages in, I'm sticking with it, but will see! :)

      Delete

I love meeting new people through comments, and I always try to comment back! Thanks for stopping by! :)