Monday, July 7, 2014

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas Book Trailer and Audiobook Review





 






 Throne of Glass






Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)
 Throne of Glass


Published: May 7th, 2012
Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16034235-throne-of-glass
In a land without magic, where the king rules with an iron hand, an assassin is summoned to the castle. She comes not to kill the king, but to win her freedom. If she defeats twenty-three killers, thieves, and warriors in a competition, she is released from prison to serve as the king's champion. Her name is Celaena Sardothien.

The Crown Prince will provoke her. The Captain of the Guard will protect her. But something evil dwells in the castle of glass--and it's there to kill. When her competitors start dying one by one, Celaena's fight for freedom becomes a fight for survival, and a desperate quest to root out the evil before it destroys her world.





CHECK OUT THE COMPLETE SERIES

 
 Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1) Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2) Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass #3)
The Assassin's Blade (Throne of Glass, #0.1-0.5)












THRONE OF GLASS has been a book that I've been wanting to read for so long. But for whatever reason I always kept putting it off. So when I recently discovered how much I loved audiobooks, I decided it was finally time to jump into it and give it a shot. But, I was surprised to find a totally different book then what I imagined!! It was still a good book, BUT... it just didn't turn out to be what I thought it would be! It didn't have the action and adventure that I hoped for. Through almost the whole book we heard about how much of a bad-a** Celaena Sardothien was. How much she could cut through anything or anyone. But it's not until the very end that we really see her strip-down and show what she's really about. And even then, it was tainted, and not the full wrath of what she is "supposedly" capable of.

There was a lot of magical elements that I was not expecting. Honestly, I wasn't excepting any, because that's what synopsis says,

" In a land without magic."

But, even though it was a surprise, I found myself engaged and intrigued as the story unfolded into a mysterious world where magic, lies, fear, evil, and a murderous king rules with an iron fist, and will cut though anyone to clear his path to complete control!  
 
Even with it's flaws, THRONE OF GLASS was still pretty amazing! I am so eager to see where this series goes, because it could take so many different routes and still make sense and be amazing. And I love that when an author can end a book and is able to have you guessing where the series will go. Some books you just know how it's all going to end without having to read it. But Sarah Maas has created a series that will forever keep me second guessing myself!! Mad props to Ms Mass for that!!!!

THE PLOT

In a kingdom ruled by a vicious king, who slaughter all who appose him, a kingdom lay in despair and submission as the lesser citizens live cowering to their king. As the nobility live in a luxurious life full of wealth and riches, and power.

Celaena Sardothien was raised to be a killer. She was brought up with blood on her hands. Killing has become as easy as breathing for Celaena. Because she kills with precise and precision, she kills to keep breathing, she kills because she is the best, she kills because she's Ardalan's best assassin, and everyone knows it, and fears it!! 

Celaena is paying for her crimes in the salt mines of Endovier, forever cursed to the hard labor of the mines and cruelty of the guards, until her dying day. Until one day, Celaena is given a choice, an opportunity to get out of the mines and become the kings lackey. But she'll be free of the certain death that the salt mines are sure to bring. Free of watching all the endless deaths of those around her. Free after 5 years of killing for the king. But it won't come easy, and she'll have to prove her worth against other killers just like herself!

Celaena is offered the chance to become the kings champion. But with it come a price... The title is not given to her, she will have to prove worthy of the title in a battle with other killers, thieves, assassins, and the lowest of the low. But she's Celaena Sardothien, so just how much trouble could that be? Well she's about to find out!!!

Celaena is not prepared for what she finds out of the salt mines and with a taste of free air. She is not ready for what secrets lie hidden within the castle, long since forgotten and abandoned. Buried beneath centuries of secrets, lies, and forbidden magic that was outlawed by the king himself. Secrets in which the king would kill anyone who possess, even his future champion.

Celaena will come face to face with the truths of what the kingdom is really built on, terrible secrets that could not only get her killed, but bring whole kingdoms to their knees. She will have to battle her way through the unthinkable to get to the top, but once she's there, she will have to make the ultimate choice of where her loyalties lie, and who she can really trust! But she'll have to stay alive long enough to make it there!!!

  Even though THRONE OF GLASS was not what I excepted it to be, it was still pretty epic on so many levels. I just finished reading the second book and loved that one sooo much more. I plan on jumping into the third book sometime very soon!! It's an amazing series with layers upon layers that have to be dug through and peeled back to comprehend the full wrath of what lies beneath this series. The best way to describe this series would be by saying "There is more, WAY more then what meets the eye"

I think this is a series that everyone should read, no matter what your genres or reading level is. It's one of those series that stays with you long after its over. Not just because of the characters and action. But because of what these people go through. Of so many people brought to their knees in front of one man. For the determination and struggles that these people had to go through. And for the loss that they continue to go through with each book. It's so complex, and a must read for so many reasons!!!!

Overall, THRONE OF GLASS was a great start to an amazing series that I know is going to be EPIC by the time it's complete! I'm eager to see how it all turns out!! I would definitely recommend it and will be eagerly continuing this series!!!
 4 Bone Hearts




-Elena Galathynius Havilliard (Throne of Glass series)





Sarah J. MaasSarah J. Maas is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the Throne of Glass series (Heir of Fire, Book 3, will be out in September 2014). Starting in Spring 2015, her New Adult Fantasy series, A Court of Thorns and Roses, will be published by Bloomsbury as well.

Sarah lives in Southern California, and over the years, she has developed an unhealthy appreciation for Disney movies and bad pop music. She adores fairy tales and ballet, drinks too much coffee, and watches absolutely rubbish TV shows. When she's not busy writing, she can be found exploring the California coastline with her husband.
 

9 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read these books! I've told myself no more new series, but I'm very tempted to break that rule...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the thorough review. I think my daughter would like the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love this series! Can't wait for Heir of Fire!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I first saw the cover I said NAH. But then I started reading lots of good reviews for this so thanks for the honest review too! Now I feel like giving it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this series so much!! I'm glad you still found it to your liking even if it was different than you thought it would be :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is another book that has been sitting on my shelf for a long time, but I haven't read. I don't know why I do that. The books on my shelf that are less well-known, that don't have the huge following, and the never-ending pages of 5 star reviews I will read at the drop of a hat. But the ones like Throne of Glass? They sit there. I really need to get over the fear of massive disappointment, because i know I am missing out on some seriously fantastic books!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked this series, although not as much as I liked the Hunger Games. I enjoyed the world-building and the characters but did not find the writing quite as compelling. I found that it was better to have read all of the "prequel" stories to understand Celaena's character better before starting this book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Exactly!though i found Celaena somewhat annoying...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Havent read this book! Oh no I am so late 😐

    ReplyDelete

I love meeting new people through comments, and I always try to comment back! Thanks for stopping by! :)