Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Teaser Tuesday #61: Winterkill by Kate A. Boorman












  Winterkill




Winterkill
 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17798031-meridian?ac=1
Emmeline knows she’s not supposed to explore the woods outside her settlement. The enemy that wiped out half her people lurks there, attacking at night and keeping them isolated in an unfamiliar land with merciless winters. Living with the shame of her grandmother’s insubordination, Emmeline has learned to keep her head down and her quick tongue silent.

When the settlement leader asks for her hand in marriage, it’s an opportunity for Emmeline to wash the family slate clean—even if she has eyes for another. But before she’s forced into an impossible decision, her dreams urge her into the woods, where she uncovers a path she can’t help but follow. The trail leads to a secret that someone in the village will kill to protect. Her grandmother followed the same path and paid the price. If Emmeline isn’t careful, she will be next.



NOTE:
Both Teasers come from an ARC, so they are subject to change in finished copy.



Out here, I can feel the dead in the tress. The Lost People rustle the leaves, muddy the shafts of light through the branches, whisper in my ear. They creep dusty fingers along my neck, tug at my braid, pull strands from my plait to tickle my face.

Or mayhap it's the wind.



  
 The freezing water slaps the breath from me as I plunge below the surface. Everything is black, spinning, squeezing at me from all sides. My feet touch something solid, but then I'm rolled by the force of the water and I can't figure which way is up. Currents grab me with their greedy fingers, chunks of ice bash at my back, my legs. Everything is ringing with hollow, deafening scream.






 
Kate A. BoormanKate is a freelance writer and artist from the often-frozen Canadian prairies. She has a nice family and a well-indulged travel bug. She also has an irrational fear of birds, so when you visit, please leave your bird at home. But do visit.










10 comments:

  1. Oh creepy teasers! I like em! Will definitely look for your review of this one!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are creepy teasers, but most of the book is not creepy. Well at the point I'm at any way. But it's turning out to be a pretty good book!

      Thanks for dropping by, Jessica! :)

      Delete
  2. I love it! And the cover is awesome, too

    http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2014/07/teaser-tuesday-and-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I love the cover too!! Thanks for stopping by, Valentina!

      Delete
  3. Great (and scary!) description in both your Teasers. Sounds like a book that would be hard to put down.
    My Teaser Tuesday excerpt is from HEARTS IN RUIN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, Sandra!! It not really scary, it's more of a mystery of what is really beyond the woods. But it's okay.

      Delete
  4. Sounds good!

    Mine this week is from the bestselling memoir “Twelve Years a Slave” by Solomon Northup:

    http://pdworkman.com/excerpt-from-twelve-years-a-slave-teasertuesday/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty good, but not what I expected.

      Delete
  5. Ohh awesome teasers! I can't wait to read Winterkill, sounds so good. Hope you loved it =)
    My TT
    Alma @ Journey Through Fiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alma!! It's different then what I am use to, but I'm enjoying it.

      Delete

I love meeting new people through comments, and I always try to comment back! Thanks for stopping by! :)