Wednesday, July 23, 2014

It's official, there will be NO sequel for All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill






this is cristin terrill




I’ve been writing this post in my head for a couple of months now, but I’m still not sure how to start it. So… I guess I’ll just start at the beginning.

When I sold ALL OUR YESTERDAYS, it was as a standalone with series potential. I was happy for ALL OUR YESTERDAYS to remain a single, self-contained book, but I had an idea for a sequel that I really liked and thought would make a great bookend to the story. I gave that idea to my publisher, and they loved it and asked me to write it. So I did.

Well, I tried.

My first draft was terrible. But that’s okay, because all first drafts are terrible. But then my second draft, which was a big enough change to be considered a rewrite, also didn’t work. Neither did version #3, another rewrite, or version #4. No matter what I changed, the book just wouldn’t come together. Throughout the process I worked with people much smarter and more talented than me, and we all had faith up until the end that it could be fixed.

But it couldn’t. It turns out my sequel idea – as much as I did and do love it – just wasn’t meant to be a book, no matter how hard I tried to mash it into book form.

So, there will be no sequel to ALL OUR YESTERDAYS.

This has been one of the hardest experiences of my life, on a lot of different levels. I feel like I’ve let down a tremendous number of people during this process, from my agent to my editor to my publisher, but the idea of letting you guys down is the worst. But, at the end of the day, I would rather let you down with no sequel than with a bad sequel. ALL OUR YESTERDAYS, its characters, and you all are too important to me to ruin with a book that I don’t feel is the best book I can write.

But that’s not to say I’m completely done with this universe or these characters. I’m planning to release an ALL OUR YESTERDAYS e-novella in the fall, and there will be lots of short stories and outtakes around here in the coming months. I still have lots of stories to tell.

But for now I just want to thank you all for being so patient with me, for not getting mad at me for ignoring your many tweets and asks about the sequel, and for sticking with me for this long. And I do genuinely apologize to everyone who was looking forward to ALL OUR YESTERDAYS #2 and hope you’ll forgive me for not being able to follow through with an awesome sequel. If I couldn’t give you one truly awesome, I’d rather not give you one at all, and I hope you understand.
~By Cristin Terrill~



All Our Yesterdays



3 comments:

  1. Well, that sucks! I really looking forward to another book in this world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Jenea, I was in shock and dismay when I found this out last night.

      Delete
  2. Oh man, I feel so sad right now. I LOVED All Our Yesterdays so much, one of my favourites from last year, and ugh, I loved the characters so much. But, I mean, I would rather it stay the perfect thing it was than have it ruined by something that just wouldn't fit. So, I get it, I would've liked more from it, but still. :(

    ReplyDelete

I love meeting new people through comments, and I always try to comment back! Thanks for stopping by! :)