Monday, June 30, 2014

The Fire Wish by Amber Lough ARC Review










 The Fire Wish




 
The Fire Wish (The Jinni Wars, #1)
The Fire Wish

 
Published: July 22nd, 2014
Genres: YA, Fantasy, Mythology 


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16123804-the-fire-wish?from_search=true
A jinni. A princess. And the wish that changes everything. . . .

Najwa is a jinni, training to be a spy in the war against the humans. Zayele is a human on her way to marry a prince of Baghdad—which she’ll do anything to avoid. So she captures Najwa and makes a wish. With a rush of smoke and fire, they fall apart and re-form—as each other. A jinni and a human, trading lives. Both girls must play their parts among enemies who would kill them if the deception were ever discovered—enemies including the young men Najwa and Zayele are just discovering they might love.
 {AMAZON} {BARNES & NOBLE}




Let's get this party started





THE FIRE WISH was an exceptional book that I devoured so quickly. Then I became furious with myself for reading it so quickly, because I just wanted to continue Najwa and Zayele journey so badly!! 

As this being my first jinni book, I was curious to see what was in store. And I am thrilled to say that I loved the the unique world-building, and the thick-plotted world in THE FIRE WISH!! And after reading this book and practically loving it, I know it will not be the last jinni book I read!! A jinni, and a princess trading lives??? YES, that is enough to make me want it. It's different then your normal YA book, and that's one reason I loved it!! And another reason I had to read it was that Aladdin was one of my favorite Disney movies growing up, and though it was different, it still had similarities, and I loved that!! 

THE PLOT...

 

Najwa is a jinni living in the Kingdom Jinn, training in the Corps to be a spy in the upcoming war with the humans. But the day she breaches the humans wards in the Baghdad palace, everything changes. On her third trip sneaking past the palace wards, her luck finally runs out and she is caught by Zayele and forced to grant her a wish that will change both girls lives, forever... 

Zayele is a human living with her tribe when the Vizier walks into their village and informs them that the Prince of Baghdad is looking for his first bride. But it's only when her father and the Vizier inform her that she will be Prince Kamal's first wife, and the Princess of Baghdad, that Zayele's world gets ripped out from under her, and her life is forever changed! 

But when Zayele runs into the only thing that can save her from her horrible fate at being a bride to a man she doesn't love, she eagerly takes it! She forces Najwa, a jinni that snuck past the palace defenses to grant her a way out, but the wish doesn't turn out to be what she thought it would be.

With a wish went wrong, Zayele a human, and Najwa a jinni, find themselves switched and forced to live each others lives, if they can pull it off. Living in two very different worlds, and with the jinni and human war on the horizon, both girls know that getting caught as each other is not an option. One wrong move could cost them their lives...

Ooh, that was just a beautiful story on so many levels!! It was truly one of a kind, and with a writing that captivated and allured me, I know for sure that I will be reading more from this author!! 

But I have to admit that the beginning of this book had me tempted to put it down for a while. But as the chapters went on, and I found myself slowly getting more attached to both characters, I just knew there was no putting this down, and that I HAD to stick it out to the end to find out what would happen to both this girls. And I am sooo happy that I did not let the slow beginning weigh my decision to DNF this for a while, because I would of been furious at myself to not reading it when I had the chance!!!

 I was also a little skeptical when I started reading the dual POV's. I'm not to eager to jump into a book if it's told from two POV's. But surprisingly, it was easy to adjust to the two very different lives, and the change of character. And after a few chapters, I was quickly immersed into the flow of the story, and I thoroughly enjoyed both characters POV!!

Overall, I highly recommend THE FIRE WISH for any YA, fantasy fan who wants a different kinda read, with awesome characters, a ongoing war, and two very sweet romances that will have you yearning for more. If you can get past the slow start and the dual POV's, then I think any YA, fantasy fan will love this one as much as I did!!!

 NOTE: I received an ARC from Random House for reviewing purposes. All opinions expressed are my own and are not influenced in any way!!

4 Bone Hearts 




YES, GIVE ME SOME MORE OF THIS

|

|
|
|
|
V







Amber Lough lives with her physicist husband, their two kids, and their cat, Popcorn in Syracuse, NY.

As a child, Amber moved about every two years and spent much of it overseas: preschool and kindergarten in Cuba, 4th-6th grade in a Japanese elementary school, 7th and 8th grade in Bahrain. Finally, she stayed in one place: all of High School in Charleston, South Carolina. Then she studied Russian at Saint Louis University, in Missouri, before heading into the Air Force. She was an Intelligence Officer stationed in San Diego, and travelled all over the Pacific Rim for her job. She also spent about 8 months in Baghdad, Iraq. Finally, after having her first child, she left the Air Force to begin writing full-time.





4 comments:

  1. I have this one on my Kindle, and I am looking forward to reading it! Especially now! I have only read two other reviews, and they loved it too. I love jinni books. I would love to make a recommendation, and if you have time to check it out that would be great. The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud. It is MG, but it is fantastic. Here is the GR link to the first book: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/334123.The_Amulet_of_Samarkand

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of a Jinn book and the swapping places thing is really cool! Thanks for the warning about the slow beginning. I'll have to add this to my list. Is it a series or a stand alone?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of a Jinn book and the swapping places thing is really cool! Thanks for the warning about the slow beginning. I'll have to add this to my list. Is it a series or a stand alone?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fingers crossed.may i like this as much as you did

    ReplyDelete

I love meeting new people through comments, and I always try to comment back! Thanks for stopping by! :)