Monday, May 26, 2014

Midnight Thief By Livia Blackburne Review










MIDNIGHT THIEF






Midnight Thief (Midnight Thief, #1)
Midnight Thief
Livia Blackburne
(Midnight Thief #1)
Published: July 8th, 2014
Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy



https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17566814-midnight-thief
Growing up on Forge’s streets has taught Kyra how to stretch a coin. And when that’s not enough, her uncanny ability to scale walls and bypass guards helps her take what she needs.

But when the leader of the Assassins Guild offers Kyra a lucrative job, she hesitates. She knows how to get by on her own, and she’s not sure she wants to play by his rules. But he’s persistent—and darkly attractive—and Kyra can’t quite resist his pull.

Tristam of Brancel is a young Palace knight on a mission. After his best friend is brutally murdered by Demon Riders, a clan of vicious warriors who ride bloodthirsty wildcats, Tristam vows to take them down. But as his investigation deepens, he finds his efforts thwarted by a talented thief, one who sneaks past Palace defenses with uncanny ease.

When a fateful raid throws Kyra and Tristam together, the two enemies realize that their best chance at survival—and vengeance—might be to join forces. And as their loyalties are tested to the breaking point, they learn a startling secret about Kyra’s past that threatens to reshape both their lives.
 
{Amazon} {Barnes & Noble




NOTE:


 PLEASE EXCUSE THE LENGTH OF 

THIS REVIEW, I COULD NOT STOP 

BLABBING ABOUT HOW MUCH  

ENJOYED IT! :)




MIDNIGHT THIEF was a fascinating, emotionally-punched, action-packed, thrilling, fantasy book that I devoured so quickly it had me tripping over words trying to get them read so fast!! It was SO much fun, with twist and turns that just kept coming!! It will definitely go down as one of my favorite fantasy's of 2014!!!


Livia Blackburne delivers WAYYYY more then I anticipated in this novel!!! When I read the synopsis about the Demon Riders, a clan of vicious warriors who ride bloodthirsty wildcats, I really didn't know what to expect with that. But WOW, what it turned out to be was definitely a pleasant surprise, that kept throwing twist at me!!

THE PACING:


BUT.... I have to admit that the beginning had me doubtful! I was tempted to put it down for a later date!! I know, I know, I'm ASHAMED of myself for even thinking that now!!! Because if I would of put it down when I was contemplating it, then I would of been kicking myself in the butt later! Because ANYONE who loves fantasy would definitely be missing out, BIG TIME!!!


The beginning started out really slow, and kinda boring! I'm guessing Livia Blackburne had to have a slow start so she could build the foundation and the surrounding walls of this novel. Because it's so complex, with layers that have to be peeled back for us to get the full picture of this book. But something told me to hold out, that it's gonna get better. And sure enough, about 25 to 30% in, I was HOOKED!!!  I literally couldn't put it down without sneaking in a chapter or 2 when I was suppose to be doing other things (Like cooking or cleaning, Oops!

THE WRITING:

The writing was okay. It wasn't the highlight of this novel. It didn't captivate me or anything like that. But it was still enough for me to get the feels of what the characters were going through. One thing that kinda bugged me, was that this book was supposed to be in 1100 or 1200's, but it didn't feel like we were in that time zone. Well besides the obvious things. Like washing outside in a basin, and the little things like that. But the language and wording didn't make me feel like I was in the 1100's. But that was easy to overlook when I got to the 25% mark!!


THE CHARACTERS:


I LOVED the main characters. Even the side ones were pretty awesome too!! The main character Kyra was an awesome protagonist. She always kept things interesting when she was around (Even if she wasn't trying too) And surprisingly, she wasn't this badass, sword wielding, not to be messed with type of chick that I'm use too! (Which is a BIG change for me) But she was still an awesome real character, that was just trying to stay alive in the Forge while scaling the walls and thieving to stay alive and pay the rent. But what I really liked was that we get to see so much growth from Kyra in this novel. We get to see her make BIG mistakes in the beginning, and watch it all unfold and play out. Then slowly watch Kyra go through the motions of working through them, and to right the MANY wrongs she made!!! And I admired that about her! By the end of MIDNIGHT THIEF, Kyra became a fierce, strong, not to be walked on, determined, fight for what she believed in, kick-butt, character that I'd grown to love!

THE PLOT:

Kyra has been on her own since she was young. Living on the rough, no nonsense streets of Forge ever since she can remember, just trying to stay alive and find her next meal! Until the day she meets her new found adopted brother Flick, and he offers Kyra something she never had, a family!!! But even with a new family, Kyra's troubles are far from over. She struggles to pay the rent and has found that scaling the walls and breaking into the wallhugers property, thieving from the rich, has become an easy means to survive. I mean it's not like their going to go without anyway! *Cough* Selfish bastards *cough cough* ;) But when James, a mysterious guy offers Kyra a chance to make more then enough money to get by and some, she feels compelled to give in to the comfortable life that she's never had. So she excepts his offer and later realizes just how much of  a mistake that was, and she'll have to pay for it, maybe even with her life!! 

James is the leader of the Assassins Guild, and he has bigger plans for Kyra then she thought! He wants more then just the thieving and scouting that they agreed upon! But when Kyra realizes that, it's a little too late, and now she's stuck in James's lethal trap, and everything and everyone she loves will be at risk! Before it's all said and done Kyra will have to decide if she's willing to play by James's rules, or if she's willing to risk it all for an out! But if Kyra chooses wrong, it could not only change the course of her life, but the whole kingdom!

 Tristam, a Palace knight wants revenge! He's on a mission to avenge his best friends murder by the Demon Riders, a clan of vicious warriors who ride bloodthirsty wildcats, and disappears into the forest. He will stop at nothing to bring his friends murderers to justice! But when fate intertwines Kyra and Tristam's world, they will have to put their differences aside and join forces, to accomplish a common goal. But as they start to dig deeper, and truths start to surface, they come to realize that everything is not as it seemed, and if they don't stop the plots and schemes against the Palace and lands, then they both might not make it out alive, let alone the innocents in the kingdom!!!


 OVERALL:

MIDNIGHT THIEF is an action-packed (After you get to the 25% mark), fast-paced, adventure-filled, heart-pounding, fantastic fantasy, that is not to be missed! I got more then I bargained for with MIDNIGHT THIEF, and it is a series I will be reading years down the road!!

NOTE: I received an ARC for reviewing purposes! All opinions express are my own, and are not influenced in any way!
4.5 Bone Hearts





Livia Blackburne, AuthorI was a neuroscience graduate student at MIT, conducting research on the neural correlates of reading, where I took the analytical approach I used for my experiments and applied it towards the process of writing and publishing. After earning my doctorate, I've switched to full time writing. My debut YA fantasy novel MIDNIGHT THIEF will be coming out with Disney-Hyperion in 2014. The goal of this blog remains the same though: study pieces of writing, break it down into component pieces, and try to see what makes it work.





What did you think of my review?

Will you be adding it to your TBR reading list?






8 comments:

  1. I do dislike them a little more when its slow paced (especially in the beginning since you need something to cling onto to keep reading sometimes) but if it ultimately makes the book better as a whole, then at least it's worth it. I don't mind it when it doesn't sound like the era it's supposed to be in (if it's not an historical on it's own, that is) sometimes it helps me get into it more so it's not a throw off. And it sounds like overall, you really enjoyed it, and that's the main thing, right? :)

    Kirsty @ StudioReads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way about a slow beginning! I tend to like my books a ltttle more fast paced in the beginning, since that's what's going to hook me into the book. Most of the time I find myself wanting to put a book down if it starts slow. I just have to have something that grabs me.

      And I didn't mind too much that it didn't sound like it was in that era. It was just a little irritating when I couldn't tell what era it was in besides the obvious. But it wasn't something that drove me crazy, as you can tell by the rating, I LOVED IT!!!

      Thanks for reading and commenting on my review, Kirsty! :)

      Delete
  2. I am seriously excited about Midnight Thief! I am crazy about the cover, and the book itself sounds so right up my alley, I don't know how I could pass it up. And now, I have read your review. Yeah, I will be reading this one, asap! Thank you for yet another of your awesome Alicia reviews!~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I am SO glad you are as pumped as I was about reading MIDNIGHT THIEF!!! It is TOTALLY worth it!!! You want an EPIC Fantasy adventure that will throw twist and turns around every corner? Well MIDNIGHT THIEF is it!!

      Thank you Jaime, for always reading and enjoying my reviews, it means a lot!! :)

      Delete
  3. Blabbing is totally acceptable and excusable when you love a book! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! I'm glad, because I went a little crazy with the length of this review!! I just could cut it down when I was editing it!!! There was just SO much I wanted to share with everyone about this book! :)

      Thanks for your understanding...lol! :)

      Delete
  4. I'm glad that you blabbed because it made me want to read this book even more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, that is why blabbing in reviews is so important...lol!! At least you let me justify myself!!! Thank you, and I'm SO glad you want to read it even more now!!!

      I really hope you enjoy it, Alyn!!! Come back and let me know if you loved it as much as I do or not when you read it! :)

      Delete

I love meeting new people through comments, and I always try to comment back! Thanks for stopping by! :)