Monday, May 19, 2014

Burn Out by Kristi Helvig Review





BURN OUT








 
burnoutcover
Burn Out

(Burn Out #1)
Published: April 8th, 2014
Genre: YA, Dystopian/Apocalyptic

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17620859-burn-out
"A scorching series opener not to be missed." - Kirkus

A futuristic blend of Beth Revis's Across the Universe and Lenore Appelhans's Level 2, Burn Out will satisfy the growing desire for science fiction with a thrilling story of survival, intrigue, and adventure.

Most people want to save the world; seventeen-year-old Tora Reynolds just wants to get the hell off of it. One of the last survivors in Earth's final years, Tora yearns to escape the wasteland her planet has become after the sun turns "red giant," but discovers her fellow survivors are even deadlier than the hostile environment.

Holed up in an underground shelter, Tora is alone--her brilliant scientist father murdered, her mother and sister burned to death. She dreams of living on a planet with oceans, plants, and animals. Unfortunately, the oceans dried out ages ago, the only plants are giant cacti with deadly spines, and her pet, Trigger, is a gun--one of the bio-energetic weapons her father created for the government before his conscience kicked in.

When family friend, Markus, arrives with mercenaries to take the weapons by force, Tora's fury turns to fear when government ships descend in an attempt to kill them all. She forges an unlikely alliance with Markus and his rag-tag group of raiders, including a smart but quiet soldier named James. Tora must quickly figure out who she can trust, as she must choose between saving herself by giving up the guns or honoring her father's request to save humanity from the most lethal weapons in existence.
Okay, let me start by saying BURN OUT was NOTHING like I thought it was going to be at all! But I still really enjoyed it, a lot! I went into BURN OUT thinking it was going to be something totally different then what it was. But I was pleasantly surprised that even though it wasn't what I excepted it to be, it was still pretty terrific! 

That being said, I still did have a couple issues with BURN OUT. The first issue was that they're was a lot going on and a ton of secrets being kept from everyone, and no where near enough answers revealed. I felt the book could of been longer and add more to the story and it would of easily of made my rating a 4 or even a 4.5. It ended abruptly, with hardly any explanation to what the hectic was going on, and who could be trusted and who couldn't. Because they're was some surprising events that unfold in this novel, but when you get to the end, you still don't know why they happened, or who is the "Good guy & the Bad guy" so to speak. So if it would of explained more of the reasoning behind some of the events in the main plot, and if I was able to get a better feel of who I should like and who I should hate, then it would of probably turned out to be at least a 4 star review for me!

On a better note... Kristi Helvig has crafted one girls fight to honor her fathers last wish, and to save humanity from suffering the same horrible fate her father did by the corrupt government, and to try and stay true to herself, while getting the hell off the giant sun drenched fire-ball planet called earth...alive!

THE PLOT...

Tora has been confined to her family's secluded underground bunker, hiding from both the Consulate, the corrupt government her father worked for and deceived, and the vicious, lethal sun that will cook you faster then a oven, for so long she can't even remember! Both her mother and little sister died while the sun cooked them from the outside in, and turned them into a pile of ash. Her father went back to try and reason with the Consulate about the guns he created, and he never returned. So Tora has come to terms that he is most likely dead. She's also faced the facts that she will probably die in that bunker, because no one is coming for her, because she is the last person left on earth, or so she thought....

An old family friend Markus, has come back for her as promised. But it's not just her he's come for. He wants the guns that her father created and risked his life to hide, and Markus wants them all! But Tora can not, and will not, hand them over to Markus, or anyone else! These guns were the last thing her father tried to hide and ultimately died for. Markus wants to sell them and become rich on Caelia, the new plant that the government and some of the upper class citizens have made it too. But if Markus gets the guns then they will definitely fall into the wrong hands, and everything her father fought for and ultimately died for, would of been for nothing! 

Tora will have to decide just how far she's willing to go to keep what her father worked so hard to conceal out of the hands of the corrupt government. And if it's really even worth fighting for, and ultimately worth dying for! 

Overall, BURN OUT was an intensely hot book, that kept me on my toes, second guessing everything I once thought, as shocking events unfolded, and had me craving more of the sun scorched world that Kristi Helvig created! I will definitely be picking up the next book with eager hands, because I just HAVE to know what's coming next!

NOTE: I received an eARC copy for reviewing purposes! All opinions express are my own, and are not influenced in any way!

3.5 Bone Hearts




Kristi HelvigKristi Helvig is a Ph.D. clinical psychologist turned sci-fi/fantasy author. She muses about Star Trek, space monkeys, and other assorted topics on her blog. Kristi resides in sunny Colorado with her hubby, two kiddos, and behaviorally-challenged dogs.   
 

What did you think of my review of BURN OUT???

Have you read it yet? If not, will you be adding it to your TBR Reading Pile? 





5 comments:

  1. I really like the cover of this one, and it sounds like a pretty good story. I must say that it bothers me a lot when authors leave a lot of questions unanswered. If at the end of the book there are a few, it is not too big of a deal, and sometimes I even enjoy being able to answer some in my head in my own way. But when almost all of the questions posed are left unanswered, it just frustrates me. I think I will wait until the next book is out before reading this one. Yeah, I think that is a good idea!

    Check out the latest reviews and posts at The Best Books Ever

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read a good apocalyptic book since Jamie McGuire's Red Hill in November. I'll have to check this one out. Hopefully I'll like this one more than you did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might have to read this book before I judge anything but hey nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds pretty intense!

    Trix, vitajex(at)aol(Dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really curious about what this book about and I've been wanting to read it. Reading your review even makes me want it more. :) Especially now that Strange Skies here.

    ReplyDelete

I love meeting new people through comments, and I always try to comment back! Thanks for stopping by! :)