Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Teaser Tuesday #49: Burn Out By Kristi Helvig


Teaser Tuesday
is a weekly bookish meme hosted by MizB @ Should Be Reading, where you share one to two teasers from your current book. Sound like something your interested in?
Then do the following:
  • Grab your current read. Open to a random page 
Share 2 "Teaser" Sentences from somewhere on that page.
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! Make sure that what you share doesn't give too much away! You don't want to ruin the book for others!
  • Share the author & Title too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR list if they like your Teaser! 
 

  Hey Guys, 
 I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend? Mine was hectic! My car was broken down all last week, and it's been hell around here! But my part for my car
finally came in and it got fixed yesterday. So I am relieved to finally get my life back in order! Anyways, check out this weeks TT and let me know what you think in the comment section. Be sure to link me up to your TT or weekly memo so I can come visit you!


HAPPY READING! :-)



Here's My #49th Teaser Tuesday From BURN OUT!
 
 
 
 



 


BURN OUT

 

 
burnoutcover
Burn Out

(Burn Out #1)
Published: April 8th, 2014
Genre: YA, Dystopian/Apocalyptic

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17620859-burn-out
"A scorching series opener not to be missed." - Kirkus

A futuristic blend of Beth Revis's Across the Universe and Lenore Appelhans's Level 2, Burn Out will satisfy the growing desire for science fiction with a thrilling story of survival, intrigue, and adventure.

Most people want to save the world; seventeen-year-old Tora Reynolds just wants to get the hell off of it. One of the last survivors in Earth's final years, Tora yearns to escape the wasteland her planet has become after the sun turns "red giant," but discovers her fellow survivors are even deadlier than the hostile environment.

Holed up in an underground shelter, Tora is alone--her brilliant scientist father murdered, her mother and sister burned to death. She dreams of living on a planet with oceans, plants, and animals. Unfortunately, the oceans dried out ages ago, the only plants are giant cacti with deadly spines, and her pet, Trigger, is a gun--one of the bio-energetic weapons her father created for the government before his conscience kicked in.

When family friend, Markus, arrives with mercenaries to take the weapons by force, Tora's fury turns to fear when government ships descend in an attempt to kill them all. She forges an unlikely alliance with Markus and his rag-tag group of raiders, including a smart but quiet soldier named James. Tora must quickly figure out who she can trust, as she must choose between saving herself by giving up the guns or honoring her father's request to save humanity from the most lethal weapons in existence.




Chapter 4: Page 46
 The shrieking of the winds intensified and my body lifted as the gusts threatened to take me for a one-way ride. I gripped the underside of the rock tighter, fighting to hang on, my hands so sweaty I was afraid they'd slip right out of the gloves. Small rocks continued their assault, plunking the sides of my helmet. It didn't help that I couldn't stop coughing from the crap flying through my lousy filtration system. The muscles in my arm burned. I didn't know how much longer I could hold on.




 Chapter 14: Page 150
"Um, maybe a little right there," I said.

He moved closer to me, until our faces were inches apart. Still staring at me, he moved his hand down lower over my ribs. Electric tingles shot through me as he ran his hand back up my rib cage and traced the highest rib from the outside toward my sternum. His touch was soft but sure. His eyes were what got me. They looked vulnerable, like they did when we were in the weapons room. If this was all an act, he deserved a prize, because I was beginning to buy it.
 
 

Kristi HelvigKristi Helvig is a Ph.D. clinical psychologist turned sci-fi/fantasy author. She muses about Star Trek, space monkeys, and other assorted topics on her blog. Kristi resides in sunny Colorado with her hubby, two kiddos, and behaviorally-challenged dogs. 
 

 

  So, Whatc'ha think of my Teaser Tuesday Of BURN OUT? Look out for my review of BURN OUT coming soon!

Do you have a Teaser Tuesday? If so, link me up so I can come check out your TT or weekly memo.


Thanks For Stopping By! :-)





4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your car. Glad it's getting fixed though.
    Both teasers are great. I particularly enjoyed the second.

    My TT @ Marilyn's Mystery Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilyn! I did finally get it fixed, and I am relieved! You never really know how much your life will change when your car breaks down, especially with kids!

      I'm glad you liked both the teasers. This books turning out to be really good! :)

      Thanks for stopping by my TT! :)!

      Delete
  2. Bummer about car trouble. Hope things get better! Great teasers too!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica! It's running again....FINALLY! :) I'm glad you enjoyed the teasers! :)

      Thanks for stopping by my TT! :)

      Delete

I love meeting new people through comments, and I always try to comment back! Thanks for stopping by! :)