Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Teaser Tuesday #42: The Winner's Curse By: Marie Rutkoski

Teaser Tuesday

is a weekly bookish meme hosted by MizB @ Should Be Reading, where you share one to two teasers from your current book. Sound like something your interested in?
Then do the following:

  • Grab your current read. Open to a random page 

Share 2 "Teaser" Sentences from somewhere on that page

  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! Make sure that what you share doesn't give too much away! You don't want to ruin the book for others! 

  • Share the author & Title too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR list if they like your Teaser! 



Hey Guys, 
 I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend? 

Mine was wonderful! Anyways, check out this weeks TT from an Amazing, I mean AMAZING Book, and let me know what you think in the comment section. Be sure to link me up to your TT or weekly memo so I can come visit you! 


Oh, and don't forget to enter my giveaway for this book HERE!


 
HAPPY READING! :-)


Here's My #42nd Teaser Tuesday From THE WINNER'S CURSE!





the winner's curse






The Winner's Curse (Winner's Trilogy, #1) The Winner's Curse
Marie Rutkoski
(The Winner's Trilogy #1)
Published: March 4, 2014
Genres: YA, Dystopian, Fantasy
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16069030-the-winner-s-curse?ac=1
As a general's daughter in a vast empire that revels in war and enslaves those it conquers, seventeen-year-old Kestrel has two choices: she can join the military or get married. But Kestrel has other intentions. One day, she is startled to find a kindred spirit in a young slave up for auction. Arin's eyes seem to defy everything and everyone. Following her instinct, Kestrel buys him 'with unexpected consequences. It's not long before she has to hide her growing love for Arin. But he, too, has a secret, and Kestrel quickly learns that the price she paid for a fellow human is much higher than she ever could have imagined.

Set in a richly imagined new world, The Winner's Curse is a story of deadly games where everything is at stake, and the gamble is whether you will keep your head or lose your heart.







NOTE:
Both Teasers are taken out of an ARC. Some quotes might change in the final copy!






CHAPTER: 21 PAGE: 160

"Lady Kestrel." He spoke clearly for the listening audience. "Did you receive my gift?"

"And brought it back here."

"Does this mean that you forfeit? Come, agree to send me your slave and give me your hand. I'll prick your little finger. First blood will be mine, our friends will go home happy, and you will join me for dinner."

"No, I like the plans that stand. With you in your place, and me fifty paces away from you,"





CHAPTER: 24 PAGE: 184

"What?" He glancecd at her, eyes sharp.

"Things can be as they were."

"I don't think so."

"But . . . you are my friend." His expression changed, though not in a way Kestrel could read. "Just tell me what's wrong, Arin. Tell me the truth."

When he spoke, his voice was raw. "You own me. How can you believe I'll tell you the truth? Why would I?"




Marie Rutkoski is the author of The Kronos Chronicles, including The Cabinet of Wonders and The Celestial Globe. The Cabinet of Wonders, her debut novel, was named an Indie Next Kids’ List Great Read and a Bank Street Best Children’s Book of the Year, among other honors. Rutkoski grew up in Bolingbrook, Illinois (a suburb of Chicago), as the oldest of four children. She attended the University of Iowa, where she took Writers’ Workshop classes and studied with Pulitzer Prize-winner James Alant McPherson. After graduating, she lived in Moscow and Prague. Upon receiving her Ph.D. from Harvard University, she held dual appointments as a lecturer there in both English and American Literature and Language, and History and Literature. Rutkoski is currently a professor at Brooklyn College, where she teaches Renaissance Drama, children’s literature and creative writing. She lives in New York City with her husband and cat.



So, Whatc'ha think of my Teaser Tuesday Of THE WINNER'S CURSE?
 

Do you have a Teaser Tuesday? If so, link me up so I can come check out your TT or weekly memo. Look out for my review of THE WINNER'S CURSE coming soon!



Thanks For Stopping B
y! :-)



8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yep, that's enough for me to hate you! But this book is SOOOOO GOOD! It's probably my favorite, maybe even EVER?

      Delete
  2. Oooh nice teasers! Seeing this one around a lot lately!


    Here's my Tuesday post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This book is SO good! I can't stress that enough! I already want book 2, and I'm not even finished this one yet! That should tell ya how good it is!

      Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  3. Is it bad that I really love Arin? Because I do. I want to hate him, but nope. :) Too good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHAT??? WHY do you want to hate Arin??? I mean, I'm not to end yet (I have about 80 pages left) but for him being a slave, I understand what he did! I totally LOVE him, and I can't see myself hating him NO matter what!

      But I might find something in this last 80 pages that might just push me over that limit. But I doubt it!!

      Oh, and good news! I spoke to Marie, the author on Twitter, and she said that it will NOT be 2 years in between books. And she said she doesn't know where that insane rumor came from, but that it's absolutely not true! She says the second book is already written, and should release around this time next year! It's still along wait, but not NO where near a 2 year wait! :)

      I just LOVE this book, I can't stop thinking about it! :)

      Delete
  4. That sounds so good and a bit different from some of the other AU YA novels that are popular right now! You mentioned that its an ARC, when does it release for the rest of us not so lucky, hehe.

    Here's my Teaser Tuesday:
    http://lifeandeyeliner.com/2014/02/25/teaser-tuesdays/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is different then the other YA books out there, but it is SO good! And it releases March 4th! So it's not that long to go! :)

      I'm giving away an ARC of THE WINNER'S CURSE on my blog, if you want to enter! ;)

      Delete

I love meeting new people through comments, and I always try to comment back! Thanks for stopping by! :)