Monday, January 27, 2014

Article 5 Review & Fan Made Trailer




ARTICLE 5



Article 5 (Article 5, #1)
Article 5
Kristen Simmons
(Article 5 #1)
Published: January 31st, 2012
Genres:  Young Adult, Dystopian

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10677277-article-5
 New York, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C., have been abandoned.

The Bill of Rights has been revoked, and replaced with the Moral Statutes.

There are no more police—instead, there are soldiers. There are no more fines for bad behavior—instead, there are arrests, trials, and maybe worse. People who get arrested usually don't come back.

Seventeen-year-old Ember Miller is old enough to remember that things weren't always this way. Living with her rebellious single mother, it's hard for her to forget that people weren't always arrested for reading the wrong books or staying out after dark. It's hard to forget that life in the United States used to be different.

Ember has perfected the art of keeping a low profile. She knows how to get the things she needs, like food stamps and hand-me-down clothes, and how to pass the random home inspections by the military. Her life is as close to peaceful as circumstances allow.
That is, until her mother is arrested for noncompliance with Article 5 of the Moral Statutes. And one of the arresting officers is none other than Chase Jennings—the only boy Ember has ever loved.






I couldn't find an Official Trailer for ARTICLE 5, 
But...I found a fan made one, and its awesome! I think it fits with the story perfect! Check it out and check out more of the Trailers made by steffy2106



 What'cha Think?




ARTICLE 5 turned out to be so much different then what I thought it would be! It left me with so many feelings, both good and bad!! But manly good! I found myself not wanting to put ARTICLE 5 down for nothing! At first I was a little shocked at some of the events that were happening to the article violators. I'm mean I've seen some crazy things happen in dystopian novels, but simply putting citizens to death for having children out of wedlock BEFORE the statues where created and enforced, was just beyond comprehension! It was terrible the things that these people had to endure to survive! Again, nothing new from dystopians, but this one just rubbed me the right way, and found it's way into my heart!

BUT, there was one issue that bugged the crap out of me! And it was the main character Ember! Now, after saying that, I did NOT hate Ember, I found her to be VERY annoying at times, but manly only in the beginning! I understand that she was going through a rough time. I understand that her mom had been taken from her for the solely reason of just giving birth to her. I understand she went days and nights hungry and cold. I understand she had to do everything she could to survive, no matter what that was! I get it, I really do, but girl, get a grip!! In the beginning she was whinny, annoying, and very irrational! Her directed anger towards Chase was totally misplaced! Chase was only trying to keep her safe, given the crappy hand he was dealt! He had to make due with what he had, and everything he did was for her, and her only. And she couldn't see that, well at least not until the end. But that annoyed the crap out of me!! She was just too dam hard on my man Chase, and I didn't like it!!

But by the end of the book, I loved Ember! I know that's a really big switch, but she matured, and came to terms with the truth about everything she'd been naive too. She had faced some hard truths of the world they lived in, and had first hand experience of some of the hardships that Chase has endured, and came to understand him and the reasoning behind the things he did. Ember had a huge wake up call, and after that, she was tough as nails! She did what she had to do survive, even if it meant to get down and dirty, and do despicable things. She did them because it was her only means to survive. She was able to understand a become a new person born from the destruction and pain that has built there new world! The old Ember is gone, and this new Em will not stand for it, not anymore! And that is one of the many reasons why I have come to care very deeply for Ember after her struggle within herself. We were able to watch her grow from the whinny, naive, sheltered, little girl to this strong, hard, determined, women that will stand and fight for what she believes in, and put others first no matter the cost! By the end of the book I NEEDED more of Chase and Ember's story!

The Plot...

The war is over, the remaining citizens are forced to obey, and summit their free will if their going to survive! The Federal Bureau Of Reformation rules with an iron fist, killing innocents, making soldiers, and building this unbreakable army. Or so they thought...

There's a rebellion brewing, citizens and outcasts have bounded together to take a stand and fight back, with one little battle at a time. They don't have the resources or man power yet to take on the FBR. But their slowly building, recruiting, lying low, staying in the shadows, and picking and choosing their battles until their ready to strike back.

So after the FBR comes in and arrest Ember's mother for violating Article 5, a new law that just past sentencing all women for having children out of wedlock. Ember tries to fight back, and keep her mother out of prison. But she's only one girl fighting against 3 armed soldiers. But when the driver turns out to be Ember's love of her life, Chase, the walls she slowly built, starting crumbling around her, and she herself is locked up and taken to where all the girls go for being Article Violators, a Rehabilitation Center!

Ember is locked away for the only crime she committed is being born. She is forced to endure some horrific acts, and is horrified at the truth. The FBR are evil, they are hurting, and even killing people, innocent people. That's when Ember has had enough. She is determined to escape and get as far away from this torture center as possible to save her mother from the same horrible fate.

But if Ember wants to make it out alive, then she will have to join forces with the same boy that helped lock her and her mother away, Chase, her long lost love!

Chase has come back for Ember, and this time is fighting on her side! He is determined to get Ember out of the rehabilitation center and get her to safety, all while trying to stay alive, and avoid the other insane, hungry, starving people living in FBR's broken society, all while evading and trying to stay one step ahead of the FBR. But there closing in, there getting smarter, and there determined to find Chase and Ember no matter what!

Ember and Chase will have to learn to put their differences aside and rely on each other if their going to make it out of this mess in one piece. But it won't be easy, as Ember has a heavy heart from what Chase has done, and Chase has a hard demeanor, built from the guilt of what he's done to the people he loves. But just when all seems lost, and there on the losing side, the Resistance comes out of nowhere, and aids them to safety, even if its just for a little while. Now, they will have to ally with the Resistance if they have any chance of escaping the evil strong hold of the government!

I really enjoyed Article 5, and most of all I enjoyed watching these characters grow, and become strong leaders and fight for what they believe in and not give up.

This book had just enough action to keep me entertained and more then enough struggle and pain to break my heart over and over again!

I will definitely be finishing this series and continuing Ember and Chase's adventure and struggle through the corrupt cities controlled by the vicious FBR.
4 Bone Hearts






Kristen SimmonsI was raised in Reno, Nevada—just below Lake Tahoe in the Sierra Nevada Mountains—with horses and dogs and Red Angus cattle. When I was little I had a colorful imagination (read: I was a cheerful liar), and loved to write stories. I rocked spandex shorts and slouch socks, put too many scrunchies in my side ponytail, and watched The Goonies approximately one kajillion times. For a brief time, I dedicated myself to a future in professional hockey after careful study of The Mighty Ducks.






18 comments:

  1. Alright, I am so digging out my ARC of this book from the box tonight! Wonderful review! So glad you enjoyed this book so much, Alicia. I've heard good things about it before, but somehow never got around to picking it up. I think it's about time now! Especially since book three is coming out soon! I can read the entire series back to back now, which is always awesome :) Thanks so much for getting me all excited for this book!

    Evie @Bookish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha! Girl you should, because you are DEFINITELY missing out! I read the second book too, BREAKING POINT and it was even better the ARTICLE 5!

      Don't feel bad though, I've had this book sitting on myself collecting dust for OVER a year! I just hate it when that happens! When I have books just piling up for months or even years, (I know that's sounds terrible, but it's true) but then when you read it, your kicking yourself for waiting so long! That's ARTICLE 5! When I was done, I said "OMG, what is wrong with me for waiting so long?"

      I've been stopping by your blog too, looking for post written by you, but I haven't seen any in a couple days, well besides the sign-ups for the Read-along your doing! But I promise I am stalking your blog too! I'm just waiting for you to post something! Not that I don't like what your reviewers and co blogger post, because their awesome too, but I'm just waiting to check out your post! :)

      As always, Evie, thank you for commenting! You always brighten my day with your cheerfulness! :)

      Delete
  2. Article 5 is definitely my favorite dystopian. I love it so much. It was the first of the genre for me, I am pretty sure, and it is the one that made me want to read as many of them as I could get my hands on. I am sorry that you were annoyed with the MC. But at least you still enjoyed the story. I can't wait for Three to finally arrive. I plan to have a marathon with all three books, and thoroughly enjoy myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Jaime! ARTICLE 5 was such an awesome Dystopian book! And in my opinion, ARTICLE 5 is the true definition of a real dystopian book! Kristen Simmons did an amazing job with this series!

      And with the MC, she did annoy me at first, but after she got out of her tantrums, she became an awesome MC! Now, after just finished BREAKING POINT, she's one of my favorite characters! Well, maybe I'm going a little too far...lol! But yeah, she grew on me, and I look forward to see more growth from her in THREE!

      Jaime, as always, thank you for all your lovely comments you post, they make my day! :) I hope you enjoy THREE! :)

      Delete
    2. Aww! I always try to make my comments actually mean something and it makes me feel good to know that you enjoy them! I can't wait for THREE! I can't wait to see what you think about it. I saw that it is one of your whats next picks, and I am hoping that you will read that one!

      Delete
    3. Ha! Actually, that's what I'm reading now! :) I put it in the What's Next post, but I couldn't wait, I just HAD to see what was going to happen next in Ember and Chase's adventure! I'm about 60 pages in and I'm already easily falling back into this epic series!

      My review for BREAKING POINT will go live tomorrow, so check it out if you have time! :)

      And yes, I do love and appreciate ALL your lovely comments! There more then just "Great review" or "I'm glad you liked it" comments. You actually state WHY you liked it or WHAT you thought about it. And I like when a commenter can state WHY. And I can tell by reading your comments that you actually READ the review! :)

      Anyways, thanks for stopping by and checking out my reviews! :)

      Delete
  3. I like dystopians but what you've written makes the book seem so harsh. I also don't understand how you enjoyed the book so much when you didn't like the main character. I'm on the fence about this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a good written book you have a main character with flaws, and through out a series (Or Book) the character has a growth.

      And with Ember, the main Character, at first she was VERY annoying! She was young, sheltered and naive to the world around her.

      BUT as the story progressed, so did Ember's personality. She became aware of the harsh reality that she was living in. She endure the hardships of what this government was doing to these people. She had first hand knowledge of the truth.

      So she matured, she became a strong, determined, fighter, who was ready to fight and not "Whine" as she was doing at the beginning of the book.

      So as I stated in my review, I did not like Ember at first, but as she went through her struggles, she became a main character that I've come to love!

      I hope that better helps you understand why I was so hard on Ember at first, but then came to love her by the end?

      Thank you for commenting on that! :)

      Delete
  4. Great review. I haven't read this one yet, but I can't wait to get my hands on it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is such a great series, and with the third book coming out in a week or so, you wouldn't have to wait long to read them all back to back like I'm doing!

      Thank you for stopping by and commenting! :)

      Delete
  5. I've been saving this one to read when the second book came out and now is definitely the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, girl it's definitely time, because you are missing out! ARTICLE 5 series is SO amazing in SO many ways! PLEASE give it a try, I think you'll love it! ;)

      Delete
  6. Once again you made me want to get my hands on a book:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad, because it is one series not to be missed! This series has fallen in my all time fave's EVER! :)

      Delete
  7. Love this series so far....totally agree with comments above. The world building is awesome. I can't wait to read Three....
    Highly recommend this series!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm glad you're loving it as much as I did! I have to admit that THREE is my favorite! It is the best in the series, (In my opinion) Your in for a bumpy ride with that one! :)

      Delete
  8. I love dystopians and have been wanting to read this book! I'm glad to read your comments and that they were mostly good! It sounds like there is plenty of action and that you get to watch the characters learn and become better by the end of the story! I can't wait to read this! Thanks for sharing your thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a great book. I loved the trailer, I've added this to my TBR and I'm looking forward to checking it out. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

I love meeting new people through comments, and I always try to comment back! Thanks for stopping by! :)