Monday, December 23, 2013

Life Before Legend 0.5 Review






 LIFE  BEFORE  LEGEND  0.5




Life Before Legend (Legend, #0.5)

Life Before Legend
Published: January 15th, 2013
Genres: YA, Dystopian, Sci-f

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17235347-life-before-legend
Find out more about June and Day in this never-before-seen glimpse into their daily lives before they met in Marie Lu’s New York Times bestselling LEGEND series. As twelve-year-olds struggling to survive in two very different worlds within the Republic’s stronghold, June was starting her first day of school at Drake University as the youngest cadet ever admitted, and Day was fighting for food on the streets of the Lake sector. LIFE BEFORE LEGEND contains two original stories written by Marie Lu that give readers a sneak peek into the lives of their favorite characters in a thrilling new context.  
Life before Legend was a great little add on for this series. It gave us a small glimpse into Day and June's life growing up. We didn't get too much background information, as its only 30 or 40 pages long. But we get enough to see the pain and heartache that theses two kids experienced! 

We get to see a little bit about what Day went though on the streets after failing his test, and was presumed dead. He had to live place to place, scavenging and stealing food just to stay alive. He couldn't trust anyone, because if he was discovered, then he would be killed on the spot! Day had it really hard for an 12 year old boy who had nothing or no one he could turn too. But still turned out to be the goodhearted, rough around the edges kinda kid.

It also had a section about June's first day in College, and the hardships she went though at being the 12 year kid that no one wanted to hang around. I felt bad for June, she gets picked on and bullied for being the smart kid who was able to bypass so many grades to make it into college at only 12. But it also gave me some newfounded respect for June because even though she was the little kid that no one wanted to hang out with, and the one everyone "Tried" to bully, she stood her ground, and showed these bullies that she wasn't going to stand around and take their crap! She earned a lot of respect that first day of school. That's all we get from Junes chapter;  just her first day of school!

I thought this little prequel was a good little addition to this series. But to be honest, it really didn't add anything we didn't already know from reading Legend. But I still enjoyed living through some of the hardships both Day and June faced in the same city, but in two different worlds, with two different struggles! 

Overall, I thought this was an enjoyable beginning, and I'm glad I read it, but I kinda wish I would of read it before I read Legend. But its really okay to read at any point you are in the series, as it doesn't spoil anything, it just shows you what you haven't seen, but already know from Legend! I look forward to finishing this series! The Legend series is a must read for any dystopian fan, and I am so sorry I waited so long to read it!!
 4 Bone Hearts






Marie Lu was born in China in 1984 (perhaps a sign of dystopian stories to come), and moved from Beijing to Baton Rouge, Louisiana in the same year the Tiananmen Square massacre happened. Eventually she and her parents settled down in Sugar Land, Texas—which she still considers her hometown.

She finished her first novel when she was 15 years old, but it took her second manuscript to acquire a literary agent. When that one didn’t sell either, she went off to college in Los Angeles and wrote two more manuscripts. Although those still didn’t sell, one of them did get her the amazing literary agent Kristin Nelson, who sold her fifth manuscript, the dystopian young adult novel LEGEND, to Putnam Children’s/Penguin USA at auction in a major deal. LEGEND will be coming out on November 29, 2011 as Putnam Children’s and Penguin Young Readers Group’s lead title. LEGEND is Marie’s debut novel.

Marie graduated in 2006 from USC and currently resides in Los Angeles, where she spends her time stuck in traffic.







 


6 comments:

  1. Great! The info mentioned inside the article are several of the very best obtainable for better life. Traffic School in LA county All those things is necessary is without a doubt your working computer by using an world-wide-web connection. These days, from the advance of systems a handheld world-wide-web is now really popular expense in most home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Legend so much. This sounds really interesting. I love both Day and June, and getting to know them better is an intriguing idea. Give me a little more insight into who and why they are who they are today. I usually don't read novellas, but this one is one I may have to make an exception for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for a lovely review! This is the first time I came across the book so thanks for putting this on my radar :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just finished CHAMPION last weekend, and didn't know there was a prequel! Marie's bio is really interesting, too--was totally unaware of her story!

    Trix, vitajex(at)Aol(Dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Legend but I didn't like Champion nearly as much so I didn't read this. Sounds like I didn't miss much. It might be fun to get a little back cap but I really wish it was a sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved Legend but I didn't like Champion nearly as much so I didn't read this. Sounds like I didn't miss much. It might be fun to get a little back cap but I really wish it was a sequel.

    ReplyDelete

I love meeting new people through comments, and I always try to comment back! Thanks for stopping by! :)