Monday, December 30, 2013

Control Review




CONTROL



 Control
Published: December 26th, 2013
Genres: YA, Dystopian, Sci-f

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16718816-control
When a crash kills their father and leaves them orphaned, Zel knows she needs to protect her sister, Dyl. But before Zel has a plan, Dyl is taken by strangers using bizarre sensory weapons, and Zel finds herself in a safe house for teens who aren’t like any she’s ever seen before—teens who shouldn't even exist. Using broken-down technology, her new friends’ peculiar gifts, and her own grit, Zel must find a way to get her sister back from the kidnappers who think a powerful secret is encoded in Dyl’s DNA.




Control has been one of my most anticipated books of the year, so when I was offered a review copy I jumped at the opportunity to read it! And I must say, Control did not disappoint. It's was great Science fiction/Dystopian book, and the perfect one to end my year off with a bang! 

I loved the Science aspect of Control, even though it got to be very confusing after a while. All the science and technical  wording was a lot to take in and understand. And the science fiction part was the main world building. Everything plotted around the science aspect, and how it can be manipulated and used to enhance human abilities. It was definitely different then anything I've ever read, and that's one of the main reasons why I enjoyed Control the most. It was new, and not something I have read before. Granted, the science aspect, children being born with strange powers/deformities, is not a first. But how many science fiction books have you read that has kids sprouting 4 arms, 2 heads, and green skin? None that I can think of!  Now, add that into the dystopian setting, and a corrupt agency, and race to rescue the one you love, and you have one heck of an adventure!

This book will keep you on your toes, and you have to really pay attention if your going to understand what's going on in the book. And I liked that, it was great to have to stay firmly engrossed in the plot, and have to get everything it offers to understand what going on.

I'll admit, the beginning wasn't my favorite part of the book. It felt like it dragged a little, but it quickly picks up after Zel and Dyl are separated. And when it did, it was in full force plot driven! 

The Plot...

The book starts with a bang, Zelia, her sister Dylia, and her father are quickly packing up to move for the umpteenth time. But when the unthinkable happens...The world they once new is shattered, and their strong trio is separated! 

When Zel & Dyl's father is killed in a horrible magpod accident, the truth is revealed, and what their father is really capable of, and what he's really been hiding from them, comes for them! After Dyl is kidnapped by people with strange abilities, Zel is forced to grow up and face the truth. What she's always known is a lie...And her father is not the man she thought she knew! The truth will turn her world upside down, and tear her remaining family apart! 

  Zel is rescued from New Horizons just in time and taken to a safe house to hide from her sisters captures. But when Zel arrives she meets teens that aren't like any she's ever meet. Kids with 4 arms, 2 heads, and green skin is only the tip of the iceberg of what Zel is about to face!  She is not giving up, and she is determined to get her sister back safe and sound, no matter the cost...But Zel never could of thought that to get her sister back, she would have to sacrifice one love, for another. Is Zel ready to face them kind of choices? And when the time comes, will she be able to choose between her sister, and the boy she's come to love???

So what you think? Sound amazing right??? It was! I thoroughly enjoyed Control, though I wish the Science aspect was broken down, and explained a little easier. But that was easy to overlook, with the fast-paced, action-packed, romanced-fill amazing plot, that will keep you reading until the wee hours of the morning, and still have you craving for more!! 

You want a different kinda read that will keep you glued to the very last page??? Well this is it, Control will do that and more!! A perfect book to end my year off with right!!!

Thank you Dial for sending me a ARC copy to review! All opinions express are my own, and are not influenced in any way!

4 Bone Hearts





Lydia KangI love salt more than chocolate. I'm somewhat small, yet deceptively strong. Sort of like an ant.

I write YA fiction, poetry and narrative medical nonfiction. I'm a part time doc, full time family member, and rather oxygen dependent.

My YA sci-fi novel, CONTROL, will debut December 2013 (Dial/Penguin). I'll be holding my breath until then. Watch me.






14 comments:

  1. Great review! I love sci-fi books like this ! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was very different, but good Sci-f book! Definitely worth a chance! :D Thanks for taking the time to comment!

      Happy New Years! ;)

      Delete
  2. YAY! Someone else who loved this book! I have been reading a lot of negative reviews, people saying the book was slut-shaming, mysogynistic blah blah blah, but I have to say I REALLY loved it to hell and back. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy Control very much! And I was actually kinda surprised after reading it, that I enjoyed it as much as I did! It was very different then what I thought it would be, and was kinda hard to get into at first with all the technical Science Fiction, it got to be confusing. But after the plot picked up its pace, and the Sci-f blended with the dystopian, I really started getting into it and enjoy it!

      I think one of the main reasons I liked Control as much as I did was that it was so different then anything I've ever read, and that it was able to keep me guessing as far as the science aspect went!

      Overall Control is a great book, and I am so glad that you enjoy it too! With all the mixed reviews, its hard to find someone who enjoyed it as much as I did! :)

      Here's to book 2! :)

      Delete
  3. I am slowly getting into more and more science fiction, and slowly letting more dsytopians onto my bookshelf again after a time off from them. Control is both of these things, and I must admit it makes me nervous. Dystopians started frustrating me more than intriguing me for a while there, so I am hesitant about them now. While this one sounds like it would be a unique one, with the sci-fi elements, those make me nervous to. I think I need to just break out of that so I can continue to enjoy more and more stories that I would have passed up not too long ago. Maybe Control is the perfect icebreaker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I hear a lot of people say how they get burnt out with dystopians. But to be honest, I never do! They are my favorite genre, and I can read them over and over again! As you can see, that's really all I ever review...lol! :)

      But I do like other genres too, and just have been on this dystopian kick, and I can't get out of it!

      Thank you for commenting, and I'm glad your letting dystopian books back on to your shelf, because they are amazing! :)

      Delete
  4. There are very many mixed reviews about the book, I'm kinda hesitate to read it. But with your review, I think I'll give this book a go. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) That doesn't not surprise me with the mixed reviews. Because at first I had VERY mixed feels too, But after the plot thickened, and more was explained, I easily got into it! :)

      I hope you do decided to give it a try and see if its something for you!

      Thanks for commenting! :)

      Delete
  5. I'm not sure if the green skinned type of alien is my cup of tea but I do have to agree that it seems out of the ordinary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha! :) I totally get where your coming from with the green skinned type of alien, because that's definitely NOT something I read either! BUT the green skinned girl is the only one like her. And its not like she's an alien, its just she and other teens have, a guess you could say deformities. And trusted me, the green skinned girl only plays a minor part in this book! :)

      Thanks for commenting! :)

      Delete
  6. Ok, you have convinced me. I think I need to put this on my tbr-list:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, Rade, you should most definitely put it on your TBR list!

      Delete
  7. I can't wait to read this book. I love genetics and science. Your review gave me all the information I needed to put it close to the top of my to-reads.
    -Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad my review was helpful to you, Grace! I hope you enjoy it! :)

      Delete

I love meeting new people through comments, and I always try to comment back! Thanks for stopping by! :)