Thursday, October 10, 2013

Tomorrow Blog Tour

 

 


Tomorrow

 By: C.K. Kelly Martin


Tomorrow

Title: Tomorrow
Author: C.K. Kelly Martin
Series: Yesterday #2
Publisher: Random House
Genre: YA, Dystopia, Sci-f
Published: October 10th, 2013
 
 
 

The sci-fi adventure that began with Yesterday continues with a thriller that can also be read as a standalone.

2063, United North America: climate change has rendered great swathes of the country uninhabitable, the rise of robot workers has created mass unemployment, eco-terrorism is a constant threat and a 2059 nuclear exchange between Pakistan and India has torn large holes in the world's ozone layer and pushed humanity's existence towards a cliff.

Garren and Freya have managed to escape that nightmare world and lose themselves in 1986 Vancouver. But the future's reach is long, and they're no longer safe there. No one is. Shadowy forces are intent on influencing the past's path. And when Freya is taken, it's up to Garren to save both her, and the future.

 

 
Tomorrow's Trailer





Tomorrow's Excerpt
 
I want to pick the cigarettes up and shove them back into my pocket so badly I can taste it. Ash and desperation. I fight that too. If I can survive the trip seventy-eight years back in time, recover my memory despite the scientists’ wipe, and successfully evade the director and his men, breaking a ten-month-old habit should be no sweat.

Once I reach my bike and climb on, the ride distracts me from the craving a little, but I resolve not to tell Freya that I tossed the cigarettes yet. I need to quit for myself first. If I make it through the next couple of days without a smoke, I can share the news with her.

Inside our building I squish into the elevator with my bike. The enclosed space smells like meaty pizza and my stomach begins to rumble. Thirty seconds later I’m sliding my key into our door. I was sure I locked it when I left, but it’s open. I turn the knob and wheel my bike into the hallway.

The apartment entranceway reeks of pizza too, so maybe Freya ordered from Domino’s. I hope so. We ate a couple of hours ago but I’m already hungry again.

I lean my bike against the wall and venture into the living room, expecting to find Freya on the couch with a fat slice of pepperoni and sausage pizza in her hands. Instead, I almost trip over the overturned chair that’s been pulled away from our dining table. Did she fall again? I shouldn’t have left her. I should’ve waited until she’d gone to the doctor and been given a thumbs-up.

No. It’s not that. It’s worse. My gaze leaps around the living room, landing first on the coffee table. The magazines, cactus, and other plants it was littered with when I left are scattered across the floor as though someone swept the table clean with a stroke of their arm. The lamp shade’s crooked too. The record player hangs open and the handful of vinyl albums I own have been emptied onto the ground, their hollowed-out sleeves lying haphazardly among them.

I run into the kitchen and step into the middle of an identical scene, all the cupboards ajar, the handful of towels we normally keep in the bottom drawer lying scattered along the counter with the stove manual and record player warranty. We bought the record player second-hand, but the old hippie who sold it to us still had the warranty. I don’t know why we kept the paperwork. Nothing we have is worth much.

Now I’m running. Into the bathroom and then the bedroom. Searching for Freya and making a silent wish that this is only a robbery. The pair of ten-dollar bills that was on top of our bedroom dresser earlier today is gone. Someone has rifled through everything we own, torn our clothes off the closet hangers, and tossed our underwear, socks, and shirts onto the floor so I have to wade through them to reach the other side of the bed and peer into the nightstand. We never had anything important in it—just a stack of bills and receipts. On top of the nightstand there’s a photo of a blond boy in a small oval frame, a model from a department store ad who Freya thought looked like her brother when he was younger. Of everyone from home, he’s the one she misses most.

“Freya! Freya!” Shock’s kept me quiet until now, when her name explodes from my larynx as I lumber back through the apartment, looking for missed clues. She wouldn’t have left without leaving a note. Not when she knew I’d be back before long. That means she must’ve been here when the place was hit.

Who else would take her but them? An invisible hand reaches inside my chest and twists my organs sideways. When Freya and I first started running I thought I’d lost everything but didn’t understand why. She’s been miles ahead of me all along, and in her absence I feel as if I’m being forced to play her part. Only I don’t have her ability, just instinct.

I imagine her being hurled into a car trunk, her head smacking against the interior. The mental picture sends me cringing worse than a brutal punch to the gut. The simplest thing could hurt her now and what they’ll do to her is anything but simple. The bastards want to make her forget all over again and they don’t care what it will cost her. Or maybe this time they mean to skip the procedure and just kill her instead. They see us as a threat that we aren’t—a tremor that would send their house of cards crashing and ruin the world’s second chance.

My thoughts are dark and horrible, every last one of them. But I can’t let it end like this. There has to still be a chance. We can’t have come all this way for nothing.

I don’t know where to start looking, but nothing matters now except finding Freya.

I have to go.



 

Meet C.K. Kelly Martin

C.K. Kelly Martin
C.K. Kelly Martin always thought she'd get around to writing in earnest eventually and began writing her first novel in a flat in Dublin, finishing it in a Toronto suburb. By then she'd discovered that young adult fiction felt the freshest and most exciting to her. You have most of your life to be an adult but you only grow up once!

Martin currently resides near Toronto with her Dub husband. She became an Irish citizen in 2001 and continues to visit Dublin often (although not as often as she'd like!) while working on teen novels.
 


Find Her Here

 
 

 

Giveaway
 
http://www.rafflecopter.com/rafl/display/642629119/" rel="nofollow">a Rafflecopter giveaway

 

 Follow The Tour
 

 
 
 

October 7th -
The Passionate Bookworm *Review & Favorite Quotes
Falling For YA *Interview

October 8th -
The Book Town *Review & Favorite Quotes
Scott Reads It! *Guest Post

October 9th -
Kimberly's Novel Notes *Review & Excerpt (blogger's choice)

October 10th -
Words, Words, Words *Guest Post
Faerie Tale Books *Review & Excerpt (blogger's choice)
Addicted Readers *Blurb & Excerpt (blogger's choice)

October 11th -
Leisure Reads *Guest Post

*No posts on weekend.



October 14th -
Mother/Gamer/Writer *Review & Playlist (blogger's choice)
Angee's After Thoughts *Blurb & Excerpt (blogger's choice)



October 15th -
The Wonderings of One Person *Review & Excerpt (blogger's choice)
The Book Cellar *Interview
Such A Novel Idea *Review & Excerpt (blogger's choice)

October 16th -
Piper *Interview & Review
Diayll Sales *Blurb & Excerpt (blogger's choice)

October 17th -
Please Another Book *Review & Excerpt (blogger's choice)
 
 
October 18th -
Once Upon a YA Book *Review & Excerpt (blogger's choice)
 
 
 Event Organized By:
Become a Tour Host
 

 

1 comments:

I love meeting new people through comments, and I always try to comment back! Thanks for stopping by! :)