Friday, October 4, 2013

Shatter Me Review




 

 
Shatter Me
By:  Tahereh Mafi

 
Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1) Title: Shatter Me
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Series: Shatter Me #1
Publisher: Harper Collins 
Genre: YA, Dystopian
Published: November 15th, 2011
Source: Bought
Pages: 368
 
 
"You can't touch me," I whisper.

I'm lying, is what I don't tell him.

He can touch me, is what I'll never tell him.

But things happen when people touch me.

Strange things.

Bad things.

No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal, but The Reestablishment has plans for her. Plans to use her as a weapon.

But Juliette has plans on her own.

After a lifetime without freedom, she's finally discovering a strength to fight back for the very first time—and to find a future with the one boy she thought she'd lost forever.
 
New Adult Addiction     New Adult Addiction
 
 
 
Shatter Me Trailer




My Review
 
 Wow! This book left me with my mouth hanging open! I really, really LOVED IT! The author has created an AMAZING world in "Shatter Me"! Truly an original storyline with twist and turns, you've never seen coming! I mean as soon as I thought their couldn't possibly be anymore surprise, then BAM, it's a slap in the face with something incredible!

Okay so I have to keep it real in this review, So I have to be honest about how felt about the authors writing. When I first open this book and started reading I was tempted to put it down an start something else. But then I remembered that a lot of the reviews I read said that the writing might throw you off at first, but to stick with because it gets truly amazing! So that's what I did. I held on until about chapter 3, then I was really hooked! The author writes in a way that I have NEVER read before. At first it was annoying, an driving me up the wall. But then as the story progressed and plot thickened, I actually started to enjoy the writing and the way Juliette process information. The author had this annoying habit of repeating herself over and over. She would also write a sentence then cross it out and write something new. At first I didn't really understand the meaning of this because I've never experienced it. But after I got to know Juliette as a character, I started to enjoy the way she expressed herself. Then the writing actually became enjoyable and understandable. By the end of the book I adored the writing and the difference of it. It really is a one of a kind. Not just the storyline but the writing itself. And when combined it truly makes an original and AMAZING book/series!
 

The Plot

We follow a girl named Juliette. But she's no "Normal" girl! Everyone thinks she's a freak! An Abomination to her people. They don't want her near them, they don't want her to touch them! They want her locked up and the key thrown away! But Juliette just wants to be "Normal"! To have friends, an someone to love her for her! Juliette has the touch of Death! Yeah, you heard me right! Her touch is lethal! One touch by her and your dead OR serious hurt! So she goes through her whole life alone, shunned by people in society! Even her parents treat her like an outcast, like she's not worthy of love and compassion. Juliette is the sweetest and most caring person, but people don't see her that way. They see her as a demon! A demon that needs to be dealt with and locked away forever!

So while Juliette is locked away and forgotten about the world around her falls apart! People aren't the same. Food is hard to come
by. Animals are few to none. And Birds don't even fly anymore. The world they knew is GONE!

So what do you do when everything you ever known is gone! You stand up an fight for a new way! BUT the WRONG people fight to start over! The Wrong people are given control of the world they knew. The wrong people now control what little people are left.

Juliette rots away in a cell day in an day out. Losing hope a faith by the minute. That is until hope walks into her cell one day and everything changes! Juliette is proposition with a chance to start over, a chance to be free. Well that's what she's told anyway! But how can she believe that when the very person telling her that is the very person who is killing an destroying the world she'd known!

  Juliette is faced with many lies, many heartaches, and many obstacles to find her way through the life that is put in front of her. She luckily meets a good guy named Adam along the way to help her throughout this mess. But what do you do when your heart is telling to go for it, but your hands are telling you STOP, you can't touch him! Or can she....???


  Truly an AMAZING storyline! I really enjoyed it. I can't wait to read "Destroy Me" from Warner's POV and see how he really feels about Juliette and the world he helped create!

This one was REALLY HARD to rate because I loved it very much, but I also did not enjoy the book/writing in the beginning. Even though I did enjoy it later. So after thinking it through, I decided either way it deserved 5 Stars because this story ROCKED ME to the core! This is a Must-Read!
 
5 Powerful Stars
5stars




 
Photo: the full paperback jacket!! ahhhhhhhh
(this will be out October 2, 2012!)
 
 
 
Meet Tahereh Mafi
Image of Tahereh MafiTahereh Mafi is the author of the New York Times and USA Today bestselling SHATTER ME series. She was born and raised in a small city somewhere in Connecticut and currently resides in Orange County, California, where the weather is just a little too perfect for her taste. When unable to find a book, she can be found reading candy wrappers, coupons, and old receipts. SHATTER ME is her first novel. You can visit her online at www.taherehbooks.com or follow her on twitter at @TaherehMafi.
 
 
Find Her Here
 
Photo: ShatterAddicts are more than human. Our touch is power!
 
 
 
 

6 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you read this one. It is such a great story, so unique and interesting. I love the crossed out sentences. I love Juliette and Adam. Warner was such a great, creepy character. I haven't read Unravel Me yet, but I am looking forward to it in a big way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This whole series is truly amazing I swear. I met Tahereh Mafi once at a book signing and she read chapters from Unravel Me and I swear, nothing is more compelling than listening to her read Juliet's words and thoughts. THAT WOMAN IS A GENIUS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't read this series yet (afraid that I won't like it), but I would love to after reading your review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I love this series!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wooow! This book sounds really awesome. I never picked it up because I got my doubts. But I think I would read it just because I want to experiense it for my self.
    Love your review.

    Mariska

    ReplyDelete
  6. Honestly from the review I know that this book must be good, but somehow I don't like the cover (quite scary too me). Hmm but I think I will buy this book though 😄
    I should stop judging book from its cover though

    ReplyDelete

I love meeting new people through comments, and I always try to comment back! Thanks for stopping by! :)