Saturday, October 12, 2013

Inhuman by Kat Falls Review

Rrelease Party

Inhuman
By: Kat Falls




 
Inhuman 
Kat Falls
Fetch #1
Publisher: Scholastic
Genre: Young Adult, Dystopia
Published: September 24th, 2013




In a world ravaged by mutation, a teenage girl must travel into the forbidden Savage Zone to recover lost artifacts or her father’s life is forfeit.

America has been ravaged by a war that has left the eastern half of the country riddled with mutation. Many of the people there exhibit varying degrees of animal traits. Even the plantlife has gone feral.

Crossing from west to east is supposed to be forbidden, but sometimes it’s necessary. Some enter the Savage Zone to provide humanitarian relief. Sixteen-year-old Lane’s father goes there to retrieve lost artifacts—he is a Fetch. It’s a dangerous life, but rewarding—until he’s caught.

Desperate to save her father, Lane agrees to complete his latest job. That means leaving behind her life of comfort and risking life and limb—and her very DNA—in the Savage Zone. But she’s not alone. In order to complete her objective, Lane strikes a deal with handsome, roguish Rafe. In exchange for his help as a guide, Lane is supposed to sneak him back west. But though Rafe doesn’t exhibit any signs of “manimal” mutation, he’s hardly civilized . . . and he may not be trustworthy.





Ihuman Expert

“A chimpacabra is a mole-monkey thing that has poison spit and lives underground over there.” Anna pointed beyond the wall with a shudder. “It creeps out at night to steal kids from their beds. One bite and you’re paralyzed and you can’ t even scream while it eats you alive.”

I tore my gaze from my dial to stare at my best friend. “Um, Annapolis, chimpacabras aren’t real. My dad made them up. Well . . .” I couldn’t resist. “I mean, I think he did.”

Anna circled a hand in front of her face. “See me not laughing.

”At least Camden laughed.

“Here we go,” Orlando crowed as the toy hover copter sailed over the top of the Titan. “Fifty feet across and we’re —” Loud popping cut off his words.

My dial cut to black and I looked toward the wall. “What happened?”

Along the far side of the ramparts, gun turrets swiveled toward the West, all taking aim at the sputtering hover copter.

“Get down!” Camden dropped into a crouch as more shots rang out. Anna and I hunkered next to him, but Orlando took off for the door to the stairwell.

“It’s okay,” I whispered. “There’s no way for them to know where the ’copter came from.” Just then a spotlight swooped across the roof of the next building, scouring the shadows as it arced toward us.

“Oh, crap. Run!” Anna and I bolted with Camden at our heels. We dove through the door to the stairwell. Two minutes later, we slipped into the zoo that was Orlando’s living room, acting like we’d been there all along.


Inhuman Review


When I finished reading Inhuman, my mind raced for days. Finally I couldn't take it anymore, and I had to write this review before my mind exploded from awesomeness overdrive!

First and foremost I have to say how much I really, really, enjoyed this book! I fell hard for this book, and the characters. I was literately on the edge of my seat the entire time. It was such an amazing ride on a rollercoaster of highs and lows, that felt never ending!

Inhuman was nothing like I thought it would be, no it was wayyyy better then I ever could of imagined! I thought it was going to be another ol' zombie book. Which is fine, I love zombie books, its just that not too much has changed in that genre. But Mrs. Falls has managed to bring something so fresh and unique, that I literally had to force myself to put this book down at times, because I did not want to stop reading until the last page, and even then I was screaming for the next in the series, it was just that good!

The writing was suspenseful and very graphic. The author painted such vivid gruesome scenes that left me with a visual that lasted long after the book was over. Mrs. Falls has managed to exceeded my expectations and more with this novel.
 

The Plot

A vicious virus has swept across the United States wiping out most of the east side. The virus initially killed the host, but years later the virus progressed and started turning humans into animals. Yep, you heard that right. ANIMALS, Not zombies! But these animals were still half human, well at least until the virus completely takes over not only their body, but their mind too, and when that happens, steer clear, because their coming at you full force.

The United States quickly took action by building huge walls, cutting off the whole east side, leaving the infected to die, or better yet, mutant. While the next generation grew into teens, they were shielded by the truth of what really lies beyond their safe haven. The infected! The humans on Westside, the safe side of the wall, was told that the virus infected people then it killed them. They were kept from the truth of what really lies in the east, Man and Animal combined! Of course their was rumors, but that's all they were, rumors!

Sixteen year old Lane is among the naïve, sheltered from the truth of what's really beyond the walls of their haven. Lane never imagined she would ever step foot into the Savage zone behind the wall. But that's exactly what Lane intends to do when the truth is revealed about her father. Her father is a fetch, someone who travels into the Savage zone to reclaim any lost property left in the east side before the virus hit and destroyed their world. But if a fetch is caught going beyond the wall, then the penalty could very well be death, and Lane refuses to let that happen!

When her father is caught on video traveling beyond the wall unauthorized, she is offered a deal. Travel to the quarantine line and deliver a letter to her father, offering immunity for his crimes if he agress to travel into the roughest city left in the east and retrieve lost property. Without any other option, Lane reluctantly agrees to deliver the letter to her dad. And that's when Lane comes face to face with the truth of what lies in the Salvage zone, Mananimals!

That's when Lane's adventure starts. She travels the Salvage lands in search for her father, and runs into trouble around every corner. She enlist help from a line guard, someone who patrols the quarantine line, and a human boy that might just be more feral then the actual Mananimals. Together they travel through the dangerous infected cities, in search of her father and the item they need to make her father's crimes disappear, all while searching for the missing infected blood types for the 50 different stains of the virus, in hopes of taking it back to their head doctor to find the cure they need to end the virus and rebuild their cities!

But Lane is too trusting with never living with or around the infection. She has a soft spot, and wants to help the ones that can't help themselves. And that right there, might be Lane's downfall, and untimely lead her to her demise if she's not careful. Lane has all these problems on top of trying to deny the feelings she's having for both her traveling companions.

Yeah, that was one hell of an adventure! I've never read a book so different, but yet so utterly amazing. These Mananimals were so different then any other zombieish-aninamlish thing I have ever read.

There wasn't that much romance in this book, but with the way it ended, I'm sure the next book will have plenty of romance to satisfy. There is a slight love triangle, but I would say its enough to drive anyone away you doesn't like them.

I am so looking forward to the next book in this series, and I can't wait to dive back into their next adventure, because let me tell you, this ending almost had me in tears! It was torture the way it ended. I have to know what happened to one of my favorite characters after something devastating happened to them at the end! Mrs. Falls your cruel! Cruel I tell you! That ending was tooooo much for me to handle, and with the second book so far away, I will be in a living a nightmare until the next book is in my hands!


Overall, I loved pretty much every aspect of this book. The writing was great, the plot was unique and original, and kept me craving more, and the action kept going and going until the very end! I couldn't of asked for a better book! Now Mrs. Falls BRING ON BOOK 2!!!


4.5 Stars



Meet Kat Falls





Kat Falls lives in Evanston, Illinois with her husband, theater director Robert Falls, their three children and a whole slew of pets. She grew up in Silver Spring, Maryland, attended Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute as an undergrad and went on to receive an MFA in screenwriting from Northwestern University.

Kat came up with the idea for her debut novel, Dark Life (Scholastic Press, May 2010), during a writing exercise. Knowing that her 11-year-old son loved reading about the ocean, Wild West pioneers and, of course, the X-Men, she combined his interests and created a story premise that kept her up nights plotting and world-building.

Today, Dark Life has deals in eighteen international markets and is in development at Disney with the Gotham Group producing. Named an ABC New Voices pick for outstanding debuts of 2010, Dark Life was featured on The Today Show in July 2010 when it was selected by Al Roker for "Al's Book Club for Kids.” Dark Life has been nominated for eight state book awards and in 2011, Kat was awarded a Juvenile Literary Award by The Friends of American Writers'.

The sequel, Rip Tide, was released by Scholastic Press in August, 2011. Each book has been designated as "A Junior Library Guild Selection."

Currently, Kat is working on a YA scifi-adventure trilogy, Inhuman, acquired by Scholastic Press for publication beginning in September 2013.


Find Her Here


{Blog} {Goodreads} {Twitter} {Facebook}

7 comments:

  1. See! I am so glad that I read your review for Inhuman. I have seen it only a couple of times, but I didn't think that I would like it too much. It seems like I should give it a shot. If I don't at least try it out, I feel like I may be missing out on something awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading the synopsis I thought this book would be too different/weird for my liking but I think your review may have changed my mind on that. :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have absolutely been missing out on something awesome. Inhuman blew me away completely. I was hooked and couldn't put it down until I was finished. And then I just sat there, wishing that the sequel was already here. I will be waiting in line for it the day it is released!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SO glad you decide to give it a try, and that you enjoyed it too! I LOVED Inhuman SO MUCH!! I really can't wait for the sequel. I will be reading it the day its released too, But I'm PRAYING I can get my hands on a ARC before its released, but will see?

      Thanks for commenting as always! I love hearing your opinions on my reviews! :)

      Delete
  4. Great excerpt! I cannot believe I have not read the book yet. Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely forgot to comment back on this one until I started looking through your reviews! I read this book, and it actually turned out to be one of the best books that I had read. I loved every. SINGLE. Second of this book. I still have not heard anything about a sequel, though I know there is supposed to be one. I hope it happens soon, because I can't wait to dig my heels into this world again!

    ReplyDelete

I love meeting new people through comments, and I always try to comment back! Thanks for stopping by! :)