Friday, August 23, 2013

The 100 ARC Review

 
 
 
 
 The 100
By: Kass Morgan
 
 
 
 

The 100 (The Hundred, #1)Title: The 100
Series: The Hundred #1 
Author: Kass Morgan
Published: September 3rd, 2013 
Genre: YA, Dystopia, Sci-f
Publisher: Little Brown
Source: Traded
Page #: 277
 

 
 In the future, humans live in city-like spaceships orbiting far above Earth's toxic atmosphere. No one knows when, or even if, the long-abandoned planet will be habitable again. But faced with dwindling resources and a growing populace, government leaders know they must reclaim their homeland... before it's too late.
Now, one hundred juvenile delinquents are being sent on a high-stakes mission to recolonize Earth. After a brutal crash landing, the teens arrive on a savagely beautiful planet they've only seen from space. Confronting the dangers of this rugged new world, they struggle to form a tentative community. But they're haunted by their past and uncertain about the future. To survive, they must learn to trust - and even love - again.
 

New Adult Addiction      New Adult Addiction



Review
 
 This book was totally different then what I expected it to be. It was more about teenagers adjusting to earth and their new surroundings, then a fight for survival on a unpopulated, dangerous planet. I have to admit I was disappointed with The 100. It was a big let down. I was expecting a face-paced, action-packed, thrill-ride, for a battle to survive on a plant that has long been abandoned over 300 years ago. But it wasn't, it was the total opposite.

The 100 was really slow, but still interesting enough to hold my attention and keep me reading! I never felt like giving up and saying the hell with it. It was boring at times, but the thought of it getting better got me through and kept me reading.

One of the things that bothered me a lot was the 4 different POV's in this book. It was far too many! It was easy to follow the POV's with ease, but it was just too annoying. It felt like I was reading 4 mini story's about each person going through a similar situation as the previous POV was. This book also went back and forth from the present to the past, to show what happened to each of the 4 main characters, and what they went through in the past and what their going through now in the present. If this book had 1 or even 2 POV's it would of made a lot more sense, and would of been easier to get into and follow. I mean, I still don't understand why the author decided to use 4 different POV's?
 
 The Plot:

Earth as long been abandoned after a nuclear war over 300 years ago. The remaining humans on earth were sent up to space to rebuild their community and population on a floating space ship. They have long adjusted to the harsh conditions and drastic change from earth to space. But many problems are starting to arise. Time in space has put a huge dent in their reserve of oxygen and supplies. With resources dwindling by the minute, and oxygen running out, they are given no choice but to go back to....EARTH!

Living on a spaceship in outer space has its limitations, with confined living areas, and hardly enough room for the remaining humans. So with not enough room for excess amounts of people, only limited number of babies are allowed to be born.  Rules are strict and enforced to the maximum, "To Maintain The Safety Of The Rest Of The Human Population." They make examples out of the people that dare too break their rules, and are quick to execute, and rid their ship of the unworthy people.

 At 18, all criminals are given a re-trial to prove that they are innocent. But almost always re-trial's are a failure, and pardons are not granted. So if that happens, they will be put to death on their 18 birthday.

With resources and supplies dwindling, they decide that these teenagers are worth more to them alive then dead, and are giving them a chance to be the first people to return to earth to make sure that it is livable again. And if these teenagers survive, they will be pardoned for their crimes and will have a chance at a fresh start at a new life on earth. But that's only IF they survive...

So 100 teenagers are sent to earth with limited supplies and resources, and are forced to fend for themselves. Things are not as they expected on earth. There are things that survived the nuclear war 300 years prior. Trees, plants, animals, and other living things they never would of guessed have survived. They have to learn not only how to adapt to new situations and living areas, but also how to live and trust each other if their going to survive.

This book had an amazing premise, but didn't live up to all the hype and my expectations. It just didn't have anything that I really cared about. Their really wasn't any action or anything going on that was interesting enough for me to stay up late to read. The characters didn't seem to have any personality. It was hard to connect with any of the 4 main characters, because as soon as I would start to get into a character and want to know more about a that person, it would change the POV, and when it came back to that person again, they were talking/going through something new. So I'm guessing if their wasn't so many different POV's it probably would of been easier to connect with them and/or care about what happened to them.

Another thing that really bothered me about this book was the ending. The last 4 chapters were about each of the main characters and at then end of each characters chapter, something extremely important would happen to the character, then it would abruptly change the POV. It was not like having a cliffhanger ending. It felt unfinished in my opinion. The last 4 chapters felt like we were in the middle of a sentence, then BAM the book was over. It felt like it ruined the whole book with that terrible ending.

I would recommend this book to anyone who's interested in teen drama and romance, versus action and survival. And anyone looking for a quick end of the world, living in space kinda read. But don't go into this expecting a fast-paced, action-packed thrill ride, because honestly you won't find it here, at least I didn't!

Overall, this book was slow, boring at times, but still had an unique interesting premise that kept me reading. I thought it was okay. I liked it, but didn't love it at all. I will be reading the next book in hopes that some of the flaws in this book is changed. And plus I need my unfinished ending answered!

3stars
3 Stars .




Fall's Tv Shows Trailer

 

 
 Meet Kass Morgan


Kass Morgan


The author of The 100. A coffee snob, French bulldog stalker, lives in Brooklyn.




 
 Find Her Here 
 
 
 
  


16 comments:

  1. I was actually looking forward to this one for a while, but then reviews started coming in and I decided just to pass it up. I just can't do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen some reviews that aren't great. Yours gives me a little hope that it might be worth reading. I'm looking forward to the tv show though for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the previews for the show based on this book and the show looks like it'll be interesting but I think I'll skip the book b/c this isn't the first non-great review I've read.. thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was also looking forward to this book....mixed reviews and so many book that I want to read based on great reviews has kinda slowed my roll with this one...
    Still might pick it up at some point

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don`t know if I would be reading this one. Maybe I would wait until the whole series is complete:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. "To survive, they must learn to trust - and even love - again." Wow! I really loved your review of it! Hoping to read the book too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the TV show but it sounds like the book is completely different and not very good. Maybe I should stick to the show!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read the book. Maybe I might give it a try because of your review. And I'm looking forward to the tv show.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So far, I am in far agreement with your review. I started reading this last month and while it is an okay read, it has not kept me attention so I keep finding better books to read in the meanwhile. Like you, I was expecting more.
    -Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love the tv show cant wait for the new season, the book is really different from the tv show there are characters dont exist in the tv show and vise verse, it wasnt that fast passe but i still liked it to read and i was interested i just brought from the library the second book the 100 day21 and the third book called homecoming its coming this year i think.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the TV show, but I haven't read any good reviews for the book. Sounds like it needed fewer povs and flash backs and more plot than romance. Maybe since this was her first book, the next one will be better. The promise is there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sucks I love this show, It is one of my favorites, I have heard alot of bad things about this book, I wanted to read it, but I think i will pass, there are so many books I want to read, that I won't waist my money on it, I love the story line, I love the characters, but I can't get bored, confused, or anything in a book, I have book ADD so it is to easy for me to put it down, I must be hooked... I have a rule to page 100 at the most if I am not hooked by then it is gone. That may sound bad but that is almost 50 % of alot of books or more in some, so for me, that is my rule because my wish list is way to long. Thanks for the review because this is one book I really wanted to read, and am glad I have a good insight.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sucks I love this show, It is one of my favorites, I have heard alot of bad things about this book, I wanted to read it, but I think i will pass, there are so many books I want to read, that I won't waist my money on it, I love the story line, I love the characters, but I can't get bored, confused, or anything in a book, I have book ADD so it is to easy for me to put it down, I must be hooked... I have a rule to page 100 at the most if I am not hooked by then it is gone. That may sound bad but that is almost 50 % of alot of books or more in some, so for me, that is my rule because my wish list is way to long. Thanks for the review because this is one book I really wanted to read, and am glad I have a good insight.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Didn't they make this into a movie? Or are they going to make it into a movie? It kind of sounds familiar to me.

    I've read books with multi POVs...way more than four...and generally they don't bother me. But, I think coupled with the flipping between past and present timeline I'd get annoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I only knew about these books vecause of the tv series and so I was definitely intrigued but hearing how different it was and the mixed reviews for it kinda put me off reading. I do find the premise very unique and intriguing but to hear that it's kind of a bore is a let down. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

I love meeting new people through comments, and I always try to comment back! Thanks for stopping by! :)