Friday, June 14, 2013

Acid Review




 
Acid
By Emma Pass
Acid
Title: Acid
Author: Emma Pass
Series: Stand Alone
Publisher: Corgi Children's Books
Genre: YA, Dystopia, Sci-f
Published: April 25th, 2013  (UK 2015 In US
Source: Won A SIGNED Paperback
Pages: 431
 
 
 
2113. In Jenna Strong’s world, ACID – the most brutal, controlling police force in history – rule supreme. No throwaway comment or muttered dissent goes unnoticed – or unpunished. And it was ACID agents who locked Jenna away for life, for a bloody crime she struggles to remember.

The only female inmate in a violent high-security prison, Jenna has learned to survive by any means necessary. And when a mysterious rebel group breaks her out, she must use her strength, speed and skill to stay one step ahead of ACID – and to uncover the truth about what really happened on that dark night two years ago.



WARNING:
 THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

Acid Review

't know where to start with this book? I really LOVED IT! This book was full of action, adventure, mystery, plots, and betrayals. I mean you name it this book pretty much had it. Well except romance, there really wasn't that much (If any). But that's totally fine with me with everything else going on!

 First the world-building was AMAZING!!!! There was always something going on in this book. There was never a dull moment. But it was different things. Like the first quarter or so of the book was about this girl Jenna Strong, then the next quarter was about the same girl Jenna Strong, but she was living a totally different life under a new identity. Then the next quarter was about the same girl but living a different life then the first 2 quarters and under a different identity. Then the last quarter she was living as herself like in the first quarter. Pheww....I know that probably sounds absolutely crazy, but really it wasn't, and it wasn't hard to follow either!
 
The Plot
 
ACID, the new government of what once was called UK is a brutal, fierce police force that rules with an iron grip. You better not commit a crime and get caught, because if you do, you will go to prison no matter the reason, AND YOUR NOT COMING OUT! ACID has taken over and is unjust. They have rules...And these rules must be followed, and if their not, their is a price to pay...

Jenna Strong is in prison doing a life sentence for murdering both her mother and father. She says it was an accident, that she didn't mean to kill them, that she only wanted to scare them with the gun, but the gun when off...and you know the rest! So she's two years into her life sentence when a mysterious rebel group breaks her out of prison, without a clue in the world why? But who's going to argue with a get out of Jail Free Card? So Jenna is given a new identity and new face with plastic surgery. All is going well with Jenna's (Or should I say Mia, her new name) new life. A new identity, a different face, an okay job, a false life-partner, but most of all FREEDOM!!! She has a fresh start at a new life. But she's warned, Only thing that can not be changed no matter what, is her DNA. So she must stay off ACID's radar...

 Jenna's (Mia) new world comes crashing down on her when everything spirals out of control! She runs into another person on the run named Max Fisher. And Max just happens to be the son of the doctor that worked at the prison Jenna was broken out of. And it gets better...His father, Dr.Alex Fisher was one of the rebels that helped brake her out of prison. But Max's father Alex was murdered in the process of breaking Jenna out. So ACID, being the corrupt government they are, uses this to their advantage, and frames her for Dr. Alex's murder! And Max only knowing what he's told, thinks this Jenna Strong girl is the one responsible for his fathers death. So he despises Jenna, BUT not the new Jenna that's now Mia, with a new face, So he has no clue she is really Jenna...

So they go on the run after ACID picks up their trail and things get really crazy-good after that. They run into so much trouble, and ACID is never far behind. There is so much action, adventure, and mystery, that left me on the edge of my seat guessing what's going to happen next, and who can be trusted!

Jenna claims several different identities in this book, and each time her face is changed. It was definitely awesome the way Emma Pass has written this book. It's like we get a different adventure with each of Jenna's identities! It was truly a one of a kind Dystopia book that puts a lot of Dystopian books to shame!

BUT, It did take me awhile to get into this book. When normally a novel takes me anywhere from 2 to 3 days, this novel took me over a week! It started out kinda slow, and their was so much confusion in the beginning that left me not really knowing what was going. So it took me longer then normal to get through this book, and a couple times I was tempted to put it down, and start reading something else, but I decided to stick with it, and once I hit the 30-40% mark I was HOOKED, and could not stop reading it. But that's really the only problem I had with the book, besides that it was a roller coaster ride of fun!

Emma Pass takes us on one hell of a ride with this book, and at a little over 420 pgs., the ride goes on an on! I am definitely hoping for sequel, the way Emma ended it was not really on a cliff-hanger, BUT it does set it up for another book, so I'm really hoping Emma takes us into a new adventure into ACID!

Overall, ACID is a VERY enjoyable read that I think a lot of Dystopia fans & even Mystery fans will HIGHLY enjoy. It did take a while for me to get into it but once I did there was no stopping me. The plot was off the hook, and the character Jenna strong was awesome in all her identities. She was a fierce, strong, Kick-butt heroine, that made this story come alive!!! I will be keeping my ***fingers crossed for a sequel!***

I won an Copy of this book from the author in a giveaway, but it did NOT influence my review. And my opinions are my own!

4.5 Stars
 5stars



 
Meet Emma Pass
 
Emma Pass Emma Pass grew up at an environmental studies centre near London, went to art school in Cornwall and now lives in the north-east Midlands, UK. Her YA dystopian thriller ACID is out from Random House Children's Books on 25th April 2013 (UK), Mondadori on 13th June 2013 (Spain) and Delacorte on 1st April 2014 (US). Another standalone thriller, The Fearless, will follow in the UK in 2014.
 




 Find Her Here

 
{ Blog } { Goodreads } { Facebook } { Twitter }
 
My website
 

5 comments:

  1. This book sounds so good! And I love the name of the character. The cover! The plot. The MC sounds like a total bad arse and I LOVE that. I can't wait to read this book. It sounds like one that I would absolutely fall head over heels for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love book with a kickass heroine in it just like this one. I'm absolutely gonna read this this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. W ow, that is one kickass cover!! I've heard lots of people on Goodreads gushing about this book and it does sound fantastic!! Looks like there's great character bulldog too. Adding it to my TBR list and hopefully I'll get to read it soon. Loved the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had this book on my TBR list for a while and decided I needed to finally read it! I'm glad you had a review on it and now I'm looking forward to reading it even more this weekend. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete

I love meeting new people through comments, and I always try to comment back! Thanks for stopping by! :)