Friday, May 10, 2013

The 5th Wave By Rick Yancey Review











the 5th wave






The 5th Wave (The Fifth Wave, #1)

The 5th Wave
   Rick Yancey
(The Fifth Wave #1)
Genres: YA, Dystopia
Published: May 7, 2013

Genres: YA, Dystopia Published: May 7, 2013
The Passage meets Ender’s Game in an epic new series from award-winning author Rick Yancey.

After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it’s the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth’s last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie’s only hope for rescuing her brother—or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death
My Review Is Solely Off A ARC And May Or May Not Be Exact If It Was Off A Finished Copy!

I don't even know how start to explain how I feel about this book! As a HIGHLY anticipated book for 2013, I expected SO MUCH MORE then what I got from this book!

I am going to be doing this review different then I do most of my reviews, because I want to elaborate on some of the negative and positive points that I felt about the 5th Wave!

The Negative:

- The First issue I had with this book was that I was expecting to go through the waves. Meaning, have the book start off as the alien invasion starts, then go through the 1st to the 5th wave. But it doesn't. It starts off in the 4th wave and we have Cassie going back in forth in memory, re-living the events that had occurred. I really wanted to see how everything played out as it was happening. It was VERY annoying going back and forth, and it was like that for about half of the book!

- The second issue was the different POV's. I don't mind different POV's, I actually enjoy them sometimes if the writer writes them well. But that was not the case here. Well, I shouldn't say that they weren't written well, because actually they weren't written bad. But my issue was the changing of the POV's. When this book first changed to a different POV, I didn't even know! I have a Advanced Reader Copy, so I don't know if the changing of the POV's will be different in the Finished Copy. But in my copy, when the POV changed, I thought was still reading about Cassie and Cassie's events! Until finally, it made absolutely no sense Whatsoever, and I figured out that when you see the back paper after a certain chapter, that it was going to change POV's. And it was up to you (Me) to figure out who's POV it was. When the chapters changed it didn't say who's chapter you were reading about, it just gives that little section a title! And I did NOT like that at ALL! After I figured that out, and got to know the characters more, it was fairly easy to figure out who's POV is who's. But early on it was difficult, and SO dam FRUSTRATING!

- The third issue that bothered me was that I was not able to really connect with some of the characters. Not all of them, mainly Cassie. I was not crazy about Cassie. I mean she was okay at some points, but she is NOT the type of character that I like to read about. She came off (To Me) as being whinny, clueless and very immature. Which I totally understand for a 16 yr old girl to be clueless in how to survive in a alien invasion. But that's the problem! How did a type of person like Cassie survive through 5 waves? When SO MANY TRAINED SOLDIERS and other people that knew a lot more about survival, with barely nothing, die and Cassie, a naive, whinny, clueless, immature child, that barely knows how to shoot a gun, survive as long as she did? Granted, she did have her father until the 4th wave. But then she survived on her own for a while before she meet Evan. How? Was it pure Luck or just not too thought out by the author? So that was another one of the many problems that I had with Rick Yancey's The 5th Wave!

I don't want to list ALL the problems I had with this book because this review is already going to be so long and I don't want to be here ALL day!

Now, I know it seems like I have so many negatives, well I do, but their is some positives in this book too.

MAIN CHARACTERS

-Cassie-

Cassie was very young acting, and I think that's one of the first things I noticed about her character that I did not like. At 16 your not really a baby anymore, and you would like to think that when a alien Apocalypse occurs, you grow up real fast no matter how old you are! Even Cassie's 5yr old little brother seemed to act more mature then her in certain points of the book! Here's a Perfect example of Cassie acting very childish during the alien invasion:

Quote:

"Are you scared?" he asked. Trying to get my attention. Or for some reassurance. He was looking at me very intently.

I shook my head. "Just bored." A lie. Of course I was scared. I knew I was being mean, but I couldn't help it. For some reason I can't explain, I was mad at him. Maybe I was really mad at myself for saying yes to a date with a guy I wasn't actually interested in. Or maybe because he wasn't the guy I wanted to date. I was mad at him for not being Ben Parish, which wasn't his fault. But still.


(The quote was from an ARC and may be different from the final copy.)

Okay, this is happening in the MIDDLE of I think the 3rd Wave (Don't Quote Me On That) but who the hell in their RIGHT mind is going to be going on a date while aliens are invading and killing are planet? Not me that's for dam sure! But, yes maybe a VERY immature child might still be worrying about boy's, when were being invaded and killed off by aliens!

Okay, all that aside, did I like Cassie? No, not really, well maybe a little! But she was by far NOT my favorite character in this book!

One of the things I did enjoy about Cassie's characters was her determination to find and save her little brother. Most of everything I mentioned above happened in the beginning of the book and as the book progressed I did notice Cassie's character grow and come out of SOME of her childish ways. So that was a Plus for her.

But I can say that I looked up to Cassie for wanting to fight for her little brother. Not evening knowing if he was alive anymore. But she was NOT going to give up until she either saved him, or found out that their was nothing left to save.


-Sammy (aka Nugget)-

Little Sams was SO CUTE! I think him & Ben (Zombie as they call him) were my favorite characters! Sams was so strong and brave through all this. And at being on 5 years old I expected a lot less out of his character. It was refreshing to see Sams determination and bravery to get through an alien Apocalypse, even without his family!


((SPOILER ALERT))

I don't want to spoil this, but Sams was recruited it to something that he should NOT of been in at is age, and he stood-up and seemed braver then some of the older kids!



((SPOILER OVER))

-Evan-


Evan is mysterious and sweet. He was willing to bend over backwards for Cassie, even when the majority of the time she was just so mean to him! But Evan Still took all of her crap! When we first meet Evan it's about halfway or more into the book, and he doesn't open himself up a lot, So we don't have much to go on about who he is. But later on in the story we get to uncover some of Evan's secrets...


-Ben (aka Zombie)-

I definitely enjoyed Ben's (Zombie's) character the best (And Sams). Ben's character was strong, smart and caring. When little nugget (Sams) comes into Ben's life he takes him under his wing and protects him. I really liked that about Ben's character. He also has a leadership roll that I liked about him, and enjoyed reading about.

Now all that being said, their was some positive parts that I enjoyed a little about this book! It wasn't all bad. It just wasn't really the book for me.


The Positives:

- I liked the idea about the aliens invading a human body. I thought it was interesting and very well done.

- Cassie's determination to find her brother.

- Sams character was amazing! I enjoyed his bravery & strength for a 5 year old.

- The surprising twist we had. Their wasn't to many parts where I was left surprised, but when I was, I was SHOCKED!

- The ending was AMAZING! About halfway through the book is when I actually started to KINDA enjoy it! The first half, I could of really thrown out the window! And I know a lot of people are probably not going to agree with my review. And that's totally understandable, because everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and that's all that mine is, is an opinion. But I stand 100% beyond my review, and I really wished I felt different about The 5th Wave b/c I was really looking forward to it, and I was seriously let down!

Would I recommend this book? I'm really not sure. A lot of people obviously liked it, with only a handful of people who didn't. So Yes, I probably would recommended this book mainly for that reason, but also because about 50% of the book I did kinda enjoy. It was really only the first half of the book, that had me wanting to toss the book out the window!

Now, that being said, I am curious about the rest of the series, and how everything will play out in the next book, b/c Yancey does end it on a pretty good cliffhanger. But not too much to have you driving yourself crazy until book 2 arrives. So I will be finishing the series, or at least try the second book and see if I feel different about that one, Oooh I hope!
3.5 Bone Hearts



                                             

25 comments:

  1. Sorry the pov wasn't done well, but glad there was an awesome ending. I keep eying this one but will prob get from library.
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah me too. :( But the POV's could of just been the ARC. So maybe the finished Copy will be different. I hope because that was one of the biggest problems. Yeah, I would defentely check it out because a lot of people really enjoyed it. But it just really wasn't for me.

      Delete
  2. Hi Alicia thanks for stopping by my blog today! I am so excited to read this one and now I have a few doubts after reading your honest review. I have read countless glowing reviews so it is nice to get a dissenting opinion. I know what you mean about switching POVs I have run across it before in ARCS and lots of times it is sorted out in the finished copy. I am still hoping for a good read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, for being nice about it! I was expecting people to bite my head off...lol! You know how some people can get when you write a not so good review for a really Hyped book! But like I said, it is just my opinion. A lot of people loved it, with only a handful that didn't. So the odds of you not liking it are pretty much slim to none. Hope you do enjoy it! :)

      Thanks for stopping by after my visit to your amazing blog! :)

      Delete
  3. I love your blog!!! and I particularly love this review!!

    I'm a new GFC follower and look forward to returning! My sister and I are new at blogging and if you are interested, please feel free to stop by http://theultimatebookworm23.blogspot.ca/and offer any tips you have for us!! XOX

    ReplyDelete
  4. The thing that always concerns me about books that have such huge followings and tons of raving reviews is the chance for a huge disappointment. The 5th Wave is one of those. I haven't read it yet, but because of all of the reviews and recommendations, my expectations are through the roof. And that means it is a long way to fall if it doesn't live up. I will absolutely still read it, but I need to get past the hype and go into it with my head out of the clouds

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of the books that I'm really dying to read. I've heard so many great things about the book that I so want to read it myself. A very insightful review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. 5th Wave was an ok read for me too. I found it too predictable and the 'going back and forth' factor you mentioned was annoying for me as well. Other than that, The concept was great and so was the word building. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! Some people seem to hate this book while others loved it. But you managed to give us both sides. I like that:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review !!
    Very honest. It's hard to weed through all of the reviews sometimes.
    Very refreshing.
    I might just give this one a try.
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Agree...it was ok. I was so excited to read it based on reviews I read. It wasn't bad, just not what I was expecting. Worth the read, but not quite as big as the hype...great review!!! Love your honesty

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay i'm so gonna read this book thanks to your review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too thought we'd get all the waves, but I think we got dropped into the story when the hardest parts happened, when people couldn't trust each other.

    I really liked this one! I thought the aliens were very creepy and it was a psychological thriller! Never knew who to trust :)

    Lovely review :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am reading this book right now and so far it is a bit confusing. I am like "Wait, who are the actual aliens? Is it like in The Host where they take over our bodies? And what's with the Soldiers killing only half the people but taking the kids..." I don't know. I have heard really good things about this book so I will keep pushing through and we shall see! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. i am curently reading the 5th wave and so far i like it...can;t wait to read the sequel..
    thx u for the spoiler..i always love reading book's spoiler :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great review! Thanks for sharing!! I've heard some good things about this book so I'm looking forward to checking it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've heard so much about this book! I'm sorry you were let down, sounds like for good reason. Yeah I expected all of the waves too. I'm mostly hesitant to read this because Cassie doesn't sound like my kind of main character AT ALL. At least some of the other characters were good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've heard so much about this book! I'm sorry you were let down, sounds like for good reason. Yeah I expected all of the waves too. I'm mostly hesitant to read this because Cassie doesn't sound like my kind of main character AT ALL. At least some of the other characters were good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for this. I also didn't like Cassie but I thought I should read an review anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I absolutely love this series. Although the povs can be a bit confusing at times. I thought the second installment was better than the first.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I absolutely love this series. Although the povs can be a bit confusing at times. I thought the second installment was better than the first.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I thought the jumping from wave to wave got really annoying as well. I thought it was a pretty decent book though. I didn't mind the POV's, I liked being able to see the different perspectives. I thought Cassie was incredibly annoying though, shame that she's the main character.

    Anyways, my friend and I just started our blog where we review books and makeup, and we'd love if you checked it out and let us know what you think!

    XX

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just read this since the movie was coming out right away. I enjoyed it but I agree that Cassie wasn't the most inspiring heroine. Zombie was my favorite too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I read this not long after its release and immediately loved it so it's a shame you didn't enjoy it as much. I was however really bothered by the changing POV's at first but then got used to it pretty quickly. I've heard the movie is really crap though!

    ReplyDelete

I love meeting new people through comments, and I always try to comment back! Thanks for stopping by! :)