Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo Review



Shadow & Bone Review




Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1)
 Leigh Bardugo
Genres: YA, Fantasy, Paranormal 
Published: June 5th 2012


The Shadow Fold, a swathe of impenetrable darkness, crawling with monsters that feast on human flesh, is slowly destroying the once-great nation of Ravka.

Alina, a pale, lonely orphan, discovers a unique power that thrusts her into the lavish world of the kingdom’s magical elite—the Grisha. Could she be the key to unravelling the dark fabric of the Shadow Fold and setting Ravka free?

The Darkling, a creature of seductive charm and terrifying power, leader of the Grisha. If Alina is to fulfill her destiny, she must discover how to unlock her gift and face up to her dangerous attraction to him.

But what of Mal, Alina’s childhood best friend? As Alina contemplates her dazzling new future, why can’t she ever quite forget him?


    






When I was done reading this book I could only think of ONE thing,

WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG TO READ THIS!!!

I was absolutely captivated by this book! It was so different then anything I ever read, but so utterly amazing!!! I've always heard great things about Shadow & Bone, but for some crazy reason, I put other books in front if it, ( Why, I Don't Know)! But I really, really, wish I would of picked this up sooner, because I was definitely missing out!

Shadow & Bone was definitely different then any of my other reads, but that's what really made it stand out, and unique to me. I always read the same-old books with the same-old thing, & the same-old style. So this was definitely refreshing to get something new and original, as Shadow & Bone!

The writing swept me away from the first page, and had me engrossed in what the writer was portraying. Then as the story started to unfold I got sucked in, and could NOT stop unless I absolutely had too, and when I did, I thought of nothing else but how I could get Shadow & Bone back in my hands!

The world building was perfect! I think the author did it just right. It wasn't lacking anything, or it didn't have to much of something else. I thought it was perfect the way it was! I felt a connection towards the characters that's hard to explain! It's like when Alina when go through something, whether it be good or bad, I went through it right a long with her. When she laughed, I laughed, when she cried, I felt like crying (And Sometimes Did)! It was that kind of connection that you rarely get with characters in books, but when you do connect it's a feeling of WOW!



THE PLOT:



Alina has always lived a very lonely life as an orphan. With only one person, her childhood friend Mal, another orphan, that befriended her and actually cared about her. Alina always knew she was different, deep down inside she felt she was not like the other orphans, no matter what she did she just did not fit in. But only one person ever accepted her, for her. Her best friend Mal! But Mal's definitely a ladies man, and over the years Alina has felt her and Mal drifting further and further apart, has he goes his way to becoming a tracker, a very good one at that. And Alina becoming a simple Map maker, and even struggles with that. But that's her life, what could she do?

Well all this changes one day when her, Mal, and a group of soldiers, trackers, and other cartographers go into the fold, and are attacked by hungry fleshing craving monsters called Volcra, that stay in the fold and live off human flesh, and will attack and eat anything that comes into the fold! But as they're attacked, and Mal is almost killed by the Volcra, Alina reveals a powers she never knew she had until it burst out of her, dying to reach the surface! Alina is a Sun Summoner, and the last of her kind. She is the key to bring peace to the kingdom! When they were attacked she summoned the Sunlight from deep down inside of her, and brought it to the surface, and chased away the Volcra, and saved Mal, herself and some others from their demise.

She is the first sign of hope that country has seen in a long time,

And She Will Be Used...

Alina is swept away into the Grisha world, with others with different powers, or should I say abilities, and is trained on how to use, and control her power. She is told she is to be used for good, until it all comes crashing down on her, and she comes to terms that she might very well be used not to destroy the fold but to enlarge it, expand it! And do evil instead of good! Alina can not allow that to happen, so she must not only fight for her life , but fight for the whole nation of Ravka!

Wow, doesn't that sound AMAZING??? My review does NOT even begin to do this book any justice! I can not put into words how good this book was, and how it took me to a place like no other!

If you haven't read Shadow & Bone yet, then you need to, because boy, are you missing out, just like I was!!!!





5 Stars







Don't Forget To Check Out The 2nd Book In The Series

Releasing June 4th, 2013


The Wait Is Almost Over!




Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2)

Darkness never dies.

Hunted across the True Sea, haunted by the lives she took on the Fold, Alina must try to make a life with Mal in an unfamiliar land, all while keeping her identity as the Sun Summoner a secret. But she can’t outrun her past or her destiny for long.

The Darkling has emerged from the Shadow Fold with a terrifying new power and a dangerous plan that will test the very boundaries of the natural world. With the help of a notorious privateer, Alina returns to the country she abandoned, determined to fight the forces gathering against Ravka. But as her power grows, Alina slips deeper into the Darkling’s game of forbidden magic, and farther away from Mal. Somehow, she will have to choose between her country, her power, and the love she always thought would guide her–or risk losing everything to the oncoming storm.




 




8 comments:

  1. I love this series so much! Leigh Bardugo has done something amazing! I am glad you liked this book as much as you did. Just wait until you get to Siege and Storm, you're in for a ride ;)/.

    Great review,

    Sara @ Just Another Story

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks you so much! And I'm glad you liked it too! I am SO JEALOUS that you already got to read Siege & Storm! :) Nah, just playin! I'm SO glad the second book turned out to be as the first! I can't wait!! I'm literary counting down the day's until it arrives...lol!

    Well, Thank you so much for Stopping By & Commenting on my review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to read Shadow and Bone so bad!! New follower!!
    KatiesBooks

    ReplyDelete
  5. It took me a long time to read this one as well. And while I didn't fall head over heels for it like most seem to, I did really enjoy the story. The best part being the characters, and the uniqueness. I am looking forward to Siege & Storm. I hope that I do fall head over heels for book 2!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this book on my tbr shelf, but always skip on it.
    Ill have to read it now
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review. This is book is on my tbr list, I love fantasy stories with strong world building and strong characters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haven't read the book yet but as I know about the book through the review it sounds like a must read with exceptional details.

    ReplyDelete

I love meeting new people through comments, and I always try to comment back! Thanks for stopping by! :)