Monday, May 27, 2013





Icons (Icons, #1)

Title: Icons
Series: Icons #1
Author: Margaret Stohl
Genre: YA, Dystopia, Aliens
Published: May 7th 2013












Your heart beats only with their permission.

Everything changed on The Day. The day the windows shattered. The day the power stopped. The day Dol's family dropped dead. 

The day Earth lost a war it didn't know it was fighting.

Since then, Dol has lived a simple life in the countryside -- safe from the shadow of the Icon and its terrifying power. Hiding from the one truth she can't avoid.

She's different. She survived. Why?

When Dol and her best friend, Ro, are captured and taken to the Embassy, off the coast of the sprawling metropolis once known as the City of Angels, they find only more questions. While Ro and fellow hostage Tima rage against their captors, Dol finds herself drawn to Lucas, the Ambassador's privileged son. But the four teens are more alike than they might think, and the timing of their meeting isn't a coincidence. 

It's a Conspiracy.

Within the Icon's reach, Dol, Ro, Tima, and Lucas discover that their uncontrollable emotions -- which they've always thought to be their greatest weaknesses --

 May actually be their greatest strengths.

Bestselling author Margaret Stohl delivers the first book in a heart-pounding series set in a haunting new world where four teens must piece together the mysteries of their pasts --

 In order to save the future.


 Icon's Review

First I have to say, Icons was NOT what I was expecting, AT ALL!
It wasn't the worse book I've ever read, but it's was by far not the best or even close either! Icons was a HIGHLY Anticipated book for me, and when I was Lucky enough to win a copy on Winter Haven Books, I was SO excited & couldn't wait to start it. Unfortunately Icons was NOTHING like I thought, and even worse then I could of imagined!  

Okay, where do I start? The writing was not that bad, really I didn't think it was bad at all, but the plot is what fell real short! There was really no action, and the action that was there was so boring, I could barely even finish the book! But I stuck with it in hopes it would get better, It didn't, not for me anyway! It was too confusing with everything going on, all the secrets that were being hidden, not knowing what the Icons powers were and how they were all related and came too be, and the aliens or should I say The Lords as they call them, did not even make an appearance in this book, OR not one that I can remember! 

This book could of been AMAZING if it was more thought out with more/better action, and better schemes on the Lords/ambassadors part. And if everything was explain better and maybe even a little earlier then it was. Even after I finished this book I still did NOT have all my questions answered and still confused on a lot of parts ( I don't want to say what I was still confused on b/c it would spoil the book ). I mean their was so many reasons why this book did NOT work out for me!

I was expecting an action-packed thriller that would leave me on the edge of my seat! Instead I got a bunch of boring bratty kids fighting with each other and turning on each other at every chance they got! Which was SO annoying!! They were ALL  so jealous of each other throughout almost the whole book that I wasn't even able to get to know who some of the characters were because they were always hating on each other! 

The romance, if that's what you call it was TERRIBLE! And I really hate to say bad things about books but I have to call it like I see it! I know their was suppose to be romance, but really their wasn't that much and when their was it seemed forced and wrong, like it didn't feel right and really was a big turn off! 

I was so disappointed in this book, I wanted to love it, but I just couldn't! Their was just too many things wrong with this book, that I couldn't overlook!

2.5 - 3 Stars







6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the honest review. I've been iffy about this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My opinion, don't waste your time! Your defentely NOT missing out!

      Delete
  2. I've heard a lot of reviews similar to yours, which really disappoints me because I really loved the Caster Chronicles series and had high hopes for this one. But the more I hear about it, the more I've decided I'd rather put my time and effort into other books instead of giving this one a shot. Thanks for being honest--it saves us fellow readers the headaches and wasted time of reading these kinds of books! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I read a lot of not so good reviews before I read Icons. But I really was hoping for the best, and I won it in a giveaway so I said what did I have to lose? Well I wish I would of put my effort into another book instead of this one, b/c it was NOT worth my time! I probably won't be finishing the series!

      That's for stopping by and commenting! :)

      Delete
  3. I felt the same way reading Icons. I was super excited since I read Beautiful Creatures (but quite honestly the second book in that series fell flat, a lot like Icons did). There was a lot that wasn't explained or just felt so slow when reading it. I almost put the book down too but kept hoping it would get better. I wanted to like it, seems like a really cool concept for a book but the execution just wasn't appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is disappointing. I hate that this book didn't turn out like I was hoping. I very rarely DNF a book because it makes me feel terrible. But I couldn't force myself to continue with this one.

    ReplyDelete

I love meeting new people through comments, and I always try to comment back! Thanks for stopping by! :)