Sunday, May 19, 2013



ArcLight Review

By:


Arclight (Arclight, #1)

Title: ArcLight
Series: Arclight #1
Author: 
Genre: YA, Dystopia 
Published: April 23rd 2013




 No one crosses the wall of light . . . except for one girl who doesn’t remember who she is, where she came from, or how she survived. A harrowing, powerful debut thriller about finding yourself and protecting your future—no matter how short and uncertain it may be.

The Arclight is the last defense. The Fade can’t get in. Outside the Arclight’s border of high-powered beams is the Dark. And between the Light and the Dark is the Grey, a narrow, barren no-man’s-land. That’s where the rescue team finds Marina, a lone teenage girl with no memory of the horrors she faced or the family she lost. Marina is the only person who has ever survived an encounter with the Fade. She’s the first hope humanity has had in generations, but she could also be the catalyst for their final destruction. Because the Fade will stop at nothing to get her back. Marina knows it. Tobin, who’s determined to take his revenge on the Fade, knows it. Anne-Marie, who just wishes it were all over, knows it.

When one of the Fade infiltrates the Arclight and Marina recognizes it, she will begin to unlock secrets she didn’t even know she had. Who will Marina become? Who can she never be again?



        



ArcLight Review:

Okay, Where do I start with one? This book had be so lost and unsure of anything that was going on through most of the book. Even when I hit the 50% mark I still felt lost and confused! I mean how can you really enjoy a book when you don't understand the majority of the book? You can't!

I didn't really feel a connection towards any of the characters and did not find a lot of them even that likeable. I mean I didn't hate them, but they were by far NOT characters that I look forward to reading again and remember! Which is really sad because I has such high hopes for this book, I really did and when I got far enough into the book that things should of start coming together and it didn't, I started to lose my faith in this book.

The writing seemed to ramble a lot and not connect. Which was very confusing. The way that Marina thinks and express herself had me feeling like I was going in circles. The world building was too much. It was to much to remember with lights and how they all worked. I really didn't understand the fade, and how they changed you into them & why, for the majority of the book. There was so much with book that just did not make sense, and I felt the author waited to long to explain everything! I did get most of my questions answered at the end, but most of the book I was stuck and confused with not really know what's going on! :( I had really high hopes for this book and was saddened to see it not live up to the exceptions I had for it!

The Plot:

Marina has no memory of before she was rescued from the Grey and brought to ArcLight. She yearns to know more about herself and where she came from, and how she got there, and if she has family somewhere out there looking for her, and defentely why she can communicate with the fade and know ones else can. But something else is bothering her! She wants to know why the fade are afraid of her. She has SO many questions and no answers.

   She is made fun of and shunned by her follow classmates. They think of her as fade-bait, and blame her for a lot of the adults deaths in the ArcLight. When Marina was brought out in from the Grey area (The area in the middle of the Dark, where the fade are, and the area in the Light, where the remaining humans are is called the ArcLight). A lot of parents, teachers, and other adults from the ArcLight decided to chance their lives and go into the dangerous Grey to rescue and bring the girl that somehow manged to survive out there. Marina is Hope! The first sign that something is beyond all of this, and that other living breathing humans may be out there too! People from the ArcLight went out into the grey, but not all returned! And some of the kids resent her, blame her for their parents and teachers not returning. And one of them is one boy that just might become her unlikely Allie! 

Strange things start to happen, and Marina must try to make since of the events that unfold! Who is she, why can't she remember anything, what happens when the people go out into the dark, why can she communicate with the fade, why are the fade trying to get to her, but most important why are they scared of her?

These are the questions Marina has to try to figure out while battling the fade that want to take her back to where she came from, the dark...

I will say that after this book hit the 75% mark, I did start to enjoy it a lot more then the beggining and middle because everything was coming together, and we were getting answers to the questions that Marina need! But when everything was revealed it was not a surprise to me at all. It was very predictable, but still enjoy towards the end!

So Overall, I did struggle with this book in the beginning and the middle. It was very confusing. Their was too much going on at once, too many unanswered questions that were not answered until the very end. The characters were really not that enjoyable until the end. And the overall story felt like it was lacking something, but had to much of something else. I felt this story could of really been amazing if the author would of dealt with some of the mention issues that I had! Now, that being said, I did get into the ending of the story as everything was revealed and coming to a close. BUT who really wants to read a book that you only like the ending? I know I don't! I think the second book will probably be a lot better then the first, b/c the author ended everything on a very interesting note! So I will be finishing the series in hopes of the next book in the series being better then the first! I felt if the author would of clarrifed things earlier and not had so much going on at once it would of been remarkable! I feel I can't give this book anymore the 3 1/2 stars due to the beginning and the middle! I would recommended this book b/c I think the next book in the series will be a lot better!

 3 1/2 Stars 


2 comments:

  1. Wow... I think I am in a bit of shock. I don't think I have seen many (AT ALL) negative reviews on your site, and I have pretty much read most of them. It is a little shocking, I admit. I haven't read Arclight yet, but it is one that I have been looking forward to. Now, I am more than a little wary. Mainly because, like myself, you always seem to find the positive in any story and when you can't find much positive about a book, something must not be right. I am exactly the same. Most books that I read, I enjoy. So, I still will end up reading this one I am sure, but I will definitely go into it with a bit of trepidation! Thanks for the review!

    Check out the latest, greatest post at... The Best Books Ever

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cover of this (yes I am one of those people that judges books on their covers) but reading your negative review, I'm kind of turned off of the book but who knows? Maybe I will pick it up one day when I don't have anything to read.

    ReplyDelete

I love meeting new people through comments, and I always try to comment back! Thanks for stopping by! :)